Full servicing/cleaning/rebuild of my 9/0

Started by biggiesmalls, November 28, 2016, 01:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggiesmalls

Okay, gotcha. These gears will still work, correct?

biggiesmalls

The rod/axle on the bridge (tall part that the gear sleeve goes onto) shouldn't rotate, should it? Mine is not, I put the gear sleeve on and inserted the pin and it was having a very tough time rotating. Took it back apart so I don't do any damage to it

sdlehr

The bridge post onto which the sleeve slides should be solidly attached to the bridge. It should not rotate. If it rotates, it is loose. If the sleeve is having a rough time on the post it most likely is due to the retaining pin not being in the proper place. If it rotates fine until you put the pin in, the pin is the problem. The bridge post also has to be perfectly straight, or the sleeve will not rotate properly.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Shark Hunter

The BBG will work fine Biggie. I just know how good the Sufix is. I only use it or Exsum, which is very affordable.
Your Main gear is steel, that is why the magnet is sticking.
Fine tuning the stainless gear sleeve is a priority. It must spin freely.
You need to find the tight spot on the bridge shaft or sand the pin down a little.
Life is Good!

biggiesmalls

Thank you all for the help. I'll try it again with the pin in, just to see if I can make it spin. It sounds like the pin is the problem though.

When you say sand down the pin, you mean make it thinner right?

thorhammer

Just polish it well. You shouldn't need to remove much material.

biggiesmalls

Well, have to find some sandpaper lying around. Will have to ask neighbors or something.

Haven't heard any updates about getting the externals powder coated yet. I'm actually seeing them tomorrow, so if I remember I will ask.

I really need to slow down my spending :D. I just spent $23 to fill one of my Battles with braid, plus I'm buying parts for my shark rod ($40), buying the 50H (another $40), getting the reel parts powder coated (???), and then I've got to buy a rod for the TR200G, a rod for the Abu, spool the TR200G, spool the Abu, spool the 9/0, and (maybe) spool the 50H. That's gonna add up quick!

thorhammer

Welcome down the rabbit hole, my friend. I may have some other bits around to help you out.

sdlehr

Quote from: thorhammer on January 22, 2017, 04:10:25 PM
Just polish it well. You shouldn't need to remove much material.
I had to grind a flat spot on my 9/0 sleeve pin for it to clear the post. I just remembered after reading the last few posts in this thread. I think it was a problem with where the hole was drilled in the sleeve. Before I did that I couldn't even get it all the way into the sleeve....

Sid
Sid Lehr

PacRat

I concur with Sid. You just want a flat side on the pin, not the entire diameter. Go slow and try the fit often until it's just right.
-Mike

sdlehr

If I recall correctly I used a rat tail file and just ground a little crescent in the pin to clear the post....
Sid
Sid Lehr

biggiesmalls

Holy crap, I'm only being charged $50 to get the reel powder coated. My response was to him was "hell yeah", if you guys think it will work.

He said that powder coating adds 1/32" to the thickness of the material. I plan to get pretty much every external metal piece, plus all the screws, powder coated. Will this work fine, or are there parts that I should keep non-coated? Pieces like the side rings, star drag, etc.

Also - what do you all think about a blacked-out senator? I was thinking of doing everything but the spool black (keeping that the silver color). When my rod is done it will be all black, except for the reel seat (which I will get powder coated one day or another), the guides (I'm looking for black ones to see how I like them though), and the wrapping - those will be silver.

I'm supposed to let the guy doing my powder coating know by Tuesday, so please let me know if it will work or not!

thorhammer

Rings yes. Def not screws and I'm not sure but I'd be conservative about anything threaded.

biggiesmalls

Okay, so the rings are a definite yes, and screws are a definite no. The other parts I have out to get done are:

Spacing sleeve (possibly, the chrome is gone on it so it wouldn't hurt to have it done)
Star drag wheel
Eccentric lever
Eccentric screw (this one is scratched to hell, I will probably order a new one)
Handle screw (again, scratched to hell, will find a new one)
Stand
Rod clamp (mine is not the ringed one)
Frame posts (five of these)
Harness lugs (four of these, two have hook screws on them)
Complete rod brace assembly (I can attempt to take this apart and put it completely together, so that the threaded part stays protected and doesn't get powder coated)
Pressure plate washer & felt washer (is the pressure plate washer metal or no? If no then neither of these will be sent to him)

I will try and completely get the rod brace taken apart, will see what I can do on it at least lol. Where should I stand on getting the other parts powder coated?

sdlehr

Biggie, I'd be careful adding 1/32" to some of these parts, the clearance is much less than that. You may find that the spool no longer clears the rings, or the rings no longer fit the side plates. It can be done, but you have to be selective about it - not just which parts are powder coated, but also which surfaces of those parts....

Sid
Sid Lehr