114HL / 114HLW - Side To Side Spool 'Play'

Started by coastal_dan, January 27, 2017, 02:00:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coastal_dan

This seems to come up more and more these days so I figured we could start single 'Topic' for folks to add tips, tricks and contraptions to solve this fairly common problem...so here goes...

To start, I am not the 'pioneer' by any means of anything I post below, I took information provided by members here and utilized it to the best of my abilities...

I referenced these posts...

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=10666.0

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=20483.0

This reels story goes as such...I purchased this used 114HLW from the big auction site and it had some spool play.  After a full tear down, cleaning, modifying  8), and reassembly I still had the spool play, a lot.  By utilizing the search function of this site and found the above Topics and read through multiple times.  

Photos with little 'blurbs'...

I started with these two washers, they had a similar OD but quite different ID's so I chose the closest fit and got to filing...this took about 25 minutes...shown is the end result...

Test fit on the shaft...

'

Checking with the pinion...notice the slight gap below the shaft between the spacer...I don't think this will affect much due to being just a spacer...but please weigh in if you disagree!

Greased and ready for assembly...

Shot showing the spool...this is with the spool nice and tight @ both side bearings...tight enough for zero back and forth, but still getting about 3-5 seconds of freespool.  Unfortunately, it doesn't center perfectly...both sides are covered from water intrusion and I could live with this...but please weigh in!

Reel together and all assembled... she is kind of a sleeper, PC gears, Bryans Drag Kit, Keta Dog, Stainless gear Sleeve...insane amounts of drag.  I have a few options for handles but this one was assembled and laying there so I slapped it on.

Lets keep this going to see what others have done!  With enough info we may get a sticky out of it so others can find the information very quickly!

Thanks for reading.

Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Alto Mare

Looking good Dan. It might be the pic, but looks like it could go back towards the handle side a little. Maybe sanding that spacer on a sheet of sandpaper will do, but I might be wrong, can't really tell from the pic.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

MarkT

I moved the side plate bearing closer to the spool by putting a shim under it.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

coastal_dan

100% correct Sal, this spacer is fairly thick but it removes the slop completely with the bearing tightened down moderately tight.  I'm thinking I'll take a bit more off, but just a hair as I don't want to loose the adjustability of hand tightening rather than the towel/wrench method (which is how I had to remove it).  Does the spool not centering exactly on the frame cause concern?
Dan from Philadelphia...

RowdyW

The spool bearing should not be tightened down even moderatly. The spool should have at least .005 to .010 side play. That will up your free spool too. The only adjustability you should need is when assembleing the reel, after that no adjustment is neccessary. It is not a cast control knob. Side load on the bearings will only lead to their failure & eccessive wear at the ends of the spool shaft.     Rudy

coastal_dan

Thanks for the input Rudy, freespool isn't a do or die for me because I'm not casting, but bearing longevity is important. 

Anyone else reading please post your findings/solutions.

I'll work on refining my washer over the weekend and I'll post back with findings.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Alto Mare

Dan, I understand at times we don't have much choice, but the spool should always be centered on star dreag reels.
I believe this is your bearing cup

If you try to use a spacer as the one on the pinion side, it will be very hard to make, here is why

the locking washer will easely sit on the shoulder on the pinion side, but not on the clicker side, the shoulder there is just too narrow

here is the easiest and best solution, well, to me anyway.
Remove the bearing cup and take out the bearing

the washer on the left is easely made from the existing locking washer

remove the rim and ridges on a belt sander, or on a sheet of sandpaper...whathever you have

drop that washer in, followed by the bearing and case closed

You could stikll put the locking washer back, I go without at this point. Of course you would need to borrow one from another bearing , but i still say go without.
this washer makes adjusting the leftside bearing cup a little easier.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Three se7ens

Mcmaster sells bearing shims made for exactly this sort of thing.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-shims/=163jspl  click on the "shims for shafts and bearings" section

Alto Mare

Yep! but I'm frugal ;D. The washer used is already of the correct size, just about a minute or two to clean.
$1 per washer + shipping adds up :).
Seriously, i rather make my own when possible, this was easy enough. for me.

coastal_dan

Strangest thing...I swapped the bearing and knob out with another reel and it worked perfect in the other reel and the unit from the other reel worked perfect in this one...flippin' strange.  So, I removed the spacer and all good   :-\  WEIRD!

Either way, this is an important topic with some dang great pointers.  Well done Sal, that would def. do the trick.
Dan from Philadelphia...

RowdyW

Sal, by taking the locking washer from in front of the bearing & placing it behind the bearing isn't everything the same height? Now the spool will rest on the bearing instead of the  washer. It seems that to increase the height you would have to put another locking washer on top of the bearing. That's the only way it makes sense to me.  ???            Rudy

Alto Mare

No Rudy, the spool shaft on the left is smaller. If you take a look on the pic above, you will notice the shoulder on the left side goes through the lock washer and rests on the inner race of the bearing.

RowdyW

Got it. It was hard to tell from the photo & didn't feel like taking a reel apart.

mo65

I'm thinking I must have missed something here...because it seems like the easiest fix for this would be one of Sal's "delrin dots".  ???

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=19774.0
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

handi2

I do what Sal does. I shim under the bearings.

I get shims from McMaster for the 113H and 114H.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL