113h/114h senator - short version

Started by alantani, January 25, 2009, 01:57:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Quote from: Fishit 2 on May 26, 2012, 10:08:36 AM
The old timer who fixes my reels told me to only put the fiber washer under the handle and the ht-100 doesn't do anything for the drag?

The under washer works. Think about it, under load the gear sleve does not turn but the gear does, force from the star pushes the entire stack creating drag.  The under washer works by friction between the gear sleve and the gear.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Irish Jigger

The under washer works. Think about it, under load the gear sleve does not turn but the gear does, force from the star pushes the entire stack creating drag.  The under washer works by friction between the gear sleve and the gear.
[/quote]

Great explanation Keta.

George4741

I believe a greased carbon fiber washer under the main gear will help give a smoother drag at start-up and throughout the drag curve, as opposed to the original stock Penn washer.  And it generates less heat from friction, too.
viurem lliures o morirem

Nessie Hunter

The under washer is a must!!!

Think of the drag stack (including Under Washer) as a chain. 
Do you want all the links made of same material?? 
(Insert Weak link jokes here)....   :-)
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Alto Mare

I've been using the same cf washer that I use in the gear for under the gear for about a year now, no issues as of yet.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Robert5617

i cleaned my 114hlw and when i put it back together everything looked right but when i put it in freespool it seizes up. 
When i put it in gear it is as smooth as silk and has plenty of drag. Any ideas of what might be wrong? thanks

Bryan Young

Aloha Robert.  Welcome  I hope we can help.

When you put it in freespool, crank the handle lightly, does the spool rotate?

I suspect that the pinion gear is not disengaging and your spool is not disengaging.  Either the eccentric is installed incorrectly or you may need to increase the angle of the tab on th eccentric that engages the yoke to pull the pinion gear away from the spool.

Quote from: Robert5617 on June 16, 2012, 03:10:06 AM
i cleaned my 114hlw and when i put it back together everything looked right but when i put it in freespool it seizes up. 
When i put it in gear it is as smooth as silk and has plenty of drag. Any ideas of what might be wrong? thanks
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Robert5617

In free spool the handle won't turn  either.  It looks like the pinion gear is wobbling a little and binds against the hole it goes through.

Alto Mare

Hello Robert, welcome. Sounds like something went out of place during assembly, take the reel apart and start all over again. Don't get upset it will only make you better at it. Now follow this wonderful tutorial here above and I'll bet it will work out for you ;). Give it a shot and if it doesn't do it, we'll take it from there. Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Robert5617

Ive taken it apart and put it back about 5 times now and keep getting the same result.  Could the pinon gear be warped

Robert5617

I'll try again a few more times this afternoon.  Thanks for ask the help.

Alto Mare

Robert, it could be a few things. I had no idea that you already disassembled it 5 times, you must be a pro by now ;D. Check the yoke, jack and pinion gear for damage, there is a possibility that something might have gotten damaged from not being seated correctly the first time.

Sorry couldn't find my reading glasses.

Robert5617

Nah I'm no pro if I were I wouldnt need help lol. I do take them apart and clean theem about once a month bc use them about once per week si I'm pretty fast but I've never had any problems until now.  Il check for any damage this afternoon and thanks again for the help

Robert5617

finnally got it!!!  i put the freespool lever on backwards 5 times lol. (told ya I'm no pro) I guess in my frustration I didnt notice.  It was letting the gear go further than it is supposed to. I flipped that baby around and boom better than ever. 
thanks for all the help guys

ShoreKasterHI

The very 1st time i did a reel (senator) i did the same exact thing.Glad to know im not the only one.