113h/114h senator - short version

Started by alantani, January 25, 2009, 01:57:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

saltydog

Anything that has to do with anything manufacturing is always a drawn out process,but it is worth the wait,keep us posted.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

broadway

You're not kidding!  I have waited 8 weeks for quotes from one, 6 weeks from another, and so-on.
They must be busy as can be... weeks we can wait, but the dollar is what matters.  I will keep you guys posted on this journey ;)
Thanks
Dom

redsetta

Appreciate your efforts Dom.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Ron Jones

As far as lapping goes, it is my experience that it always makes the reel smoother. It is important to keep some pressure on the spool, I usually just tie the spool off to a convenient immovable object and reel. For brass, toothpaste rocks. For stainless, I would use bore lapping compound or half evaporated Rem Clean.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

seaeagle2

Quote from: broadway on October 11, 2012, 10:04:11 PM
You're not kidding!  I have waited 8 weeks for quotes from one, 6 weeks from another, and so-on.
They must be busy as can be... weeks we can wait, but the dollar is what matters.  I will keep you guys posted on this journey ;)
Thanks
Dom
I spent a little time a while ago,  figured there's lots of small machine shops in the Greater Seattle / Everett area, but they're all too busy with jobs from one of the larger aircraft manufacturers.........And based on what they told me, one place has to machine the blank, and one place has to cut the gears.....
"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

Joel.B

Thanks noyb- I am going to start with my finest compound and give it a go.

As for having gears made- I was thinking China would be the only affordable option to have a run made that would be available for under $100 per. Unless someone can get ahold of the guy who bought all the Newell tooling and it is still set up ready to go......which I doubt.

I have called one gear-shop and he estimated over $300 per set even if I wanted hundreds of them  :o

One contact in China wants me to send them a set- a little scary for me to do since I am not exactly swimming in gears or moneys.  He has helped me get some tungsten bodies made for some spinners I make- he does know how to get things done in China.

broadway

Joel,
    You're right on about the quantity and the dollars, however there are shops that have a down time at some point. Those are the places I am in search of, and it seems that most of the down time is between government work. I would rather take that route personally because I don't wanna have to deal with the quality control and problems associate with that. I will keep you guys in the loop. I also agree that I'm not too keen on sending my only 6/0 set to china :-\
Thanks
Dom

seaeagle2

I'm just throwin this out there, what bout shelby the bearing lady ? I have no idea if that's a good or bad idea, but I'm tossin out there......
"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

SharkboyEI

Keta

My dad contacted a few gear shops in Bangkok and they weren't that interested....... or cheep.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

SharkboyEI

Well I'm having trouble with my senator again. I finally got the handle to come off after tons of hardwork and I took all of the drag washers out and saw they were those black ones that I think are carbontex and they were brand new. So I put a drag washer alantani sent me under the main gear and put cals grease on the other drag washers, and here's where I had my problem. I didn't pay attention real good to the washers that you put on top after you have all of the others in the main drag place and now I'm having trouble putting the washers that are bent a little bit and I got it somewhat back together with all of the parts to put the handle on but it's kinda hard to reel now. So after messing with it a but I still couldn't figure it out so I put the reel back together and everything works right but it being hard to reel and whenever I wind or put it in free spool it catches/grinds on something at a certain spot. Can someone please help me?

Cone

SharkboyEI, it sounds like the carbon fiber washer you put under the gear is causing the main gear to rub on the side plate. You can either get a thinner one for under the gear or grind the side plate with a dremel for clearance for the gear. Alan shows how to grind the sideplate in one of the Penn tutorials. If all the eared washers aren't seated in the slots in the gears it can cause the same thing. Check your drag stack first to make sure that they are all seated in the gear. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

SharkboyEI

I still need help with my 6/0 its about sharkin time so I need to gey it working correctly. My 6/0 still kinda hard to wind not near as easy as before I took it apart and put a washer under the main gear. Im not sure about the other wahers outside if the drag stack if I got them in the right order either. If someone takes their senator apart can you please take a picture of how it would look all together before you put it in the reel? I am getting 20 pounds at full but the star is kinda hard to turn once you get where it kicks in a bit and once I loosen it all the way I get around 2 pounds of drag. My last problem I have is when I put it in free spool there is a spot where I can hear the spool or something rubbing. Sorry for all of the problems/questions

Alto Mare

Hello Sharkboy, I'm not sure which reel you have, I'm not even sure if it's a 114H or 114. Anyway, here is a picture of the drag configuration:

About the rubbing, you probably knocked it out of alignment. Loosen all the screws on both sides of the plates and tighten them again.
See if that does anything.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

SharkboyEI

Thanks soo much  :) ill try tomorrow and see what happens  ;D