113h/114h senator - short version

Started by alantani, January 25, 2009, 01:57:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken_D

Alan: I see you also post now and then at the stripers on line forum.... there's a poster there, who wants forty (40) pounds of drag from his 114.  ....mayhaps someone here can skid over there, and help out? Thanks. KD.
http://www.stripersonline.com/t/857031/penn-reel-drag-issues

Bryan Young

Posted.  Wow, 40# is a bit high, but I guess if he wants to push it as we all do, more power to him.  Posted to provide some advice.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

I believe that using all of that good stuff that we use here, it's possible. We need accurate gears, but the old steel gears should handle it. If you know where to look, some of the 114hl have ss gears.
John Clyde needs to stop over here and see what we're up to. He's on the wrong site for that kind of stuff, they're mostly spinners experts.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Gaujo

I did everything i could do to get 25lb out of mine, and at that point i was breaking my 50lb line.  Hope he has all braid and is in shallow waters, because if he hooks a fish that can pull 40lbs, he better know his knots, better know his rigging, and know his technique, cuz thats a ton of pressure.  I broke a 50-100 rod testing that reel too...  Come to think of it, ive never hooked a fish near that heavy pulling, but if I did I hope its on my 50w and not the 114hl
Nothing but friends & fins on alantani.com

Keta

Quote from: Gaujo on July 31, 2012, 07:29:01 PM
I did everything i could do to get 25lb out of mine, and at that point i was breaking my 50lb line.  Hope he has all braid and is in shallow waters, because if he hooks a fish that can pull 40lbs, he better know his knots, better know his rigging, and know his technique, cuz thats a ton of pressure.  I broke a 50-100 rod testing that reel too...  Come to think of it, ive never hooked a fish near that heavy pulling, but if I did I hope its on my 50w and not the 114hl

The fish below was fought most of the way in with 28lbs of drag, the last 100' took closer to 35lbs.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Way to go Lee.... and I thought you had a bad back :-\

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

My back is fairly strong for an old millwright, it's my legs that were severely crushed that don't always work so good, some days not at all.  For 6 months after the crushing I had no use of my right leg, the doctors did a good job making jello into a useable knee but the tendon behind the knee is a big knot....but life is good now.  

The fish above was my largest of the 5 cow YFT to date. If I can do it anyone in reasonable health can, in fact I watched a 90 pound woman kick butt on a cow YFT in less than 45 minutes.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Lee, you remind me of the older Penn's, they sure don't make them like they used to ;).

redsetta

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 31, 2012, 11:41:56 PM
Lee, you remind me of the older Penn's, they sure don't make them like they used to ;).
x2 ;D
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

LTM

Lee,

Did you catch that cow on a 113/114h? Or, you were just mentioning the amount of drag used.  Serious fish Lee, congrats!

Leo

redsetta

Avet EX50/2 isn't it Lee?
Awesome fish - congrats mate.
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Keta

I caught all of my cows on Avet and Penn 50s, it was for referance on drag.  The reel is a very early Avet EX50 STS, the first one that Charkbait got.  We stopped at Mark's shop to say hi and he convinced me my 30's were not big enough, I'm sure glad he did.

As for being tough, no brain no pain.  My wife chewed me bad for going elk hunting 2 weeks after being let out of the hospital, and 20 days after having 1/3 of my colon removed along with a grapefruit size tumor.  I made it over the ridge and into where we hunt but only one day and the rest of the time was spent in and close to camp.  I think it helped me recover faster to keep going.

Mark Twain

George4741

Quote from: Keta on July 31, 2012, 09:32:52 PM

The fish below was fought most of the way in with 28lbs of drag, the last 100' took closer to 35lbs.

For some reason I can't quite figure out, this reminds me of Spencer Tracy. ;) ;D

Lee, in your opinion, would this cow be too much for a 114H, or any star drag reel?

Quote from: Keta on August 01, 2012, 02:24:18 AM

As for being tough, no brain no pain.  My wife chewed me bad for going elk hunting 2 weeks after being let out of the hospital, and 20 days after having 1/3 of my colon removed along with a grapefruit size tumor.  I made it over the ridge and into where we hunt but only one day and the rest of the time was spent in and close to camp.  I think it helped me recover faster to keep going.

Nothing like some fresh mountain air and a rifle slung over your shoulder to make you feel better. ;)  
viurem lliures o morirem

Keta

I'm sure that's what some used in the past.

I didn't discover LR fishing until October '05....a good year for cow YFT. The fish above was caught off of Clarion
Is in January '06.

I wouldn't want to fight a large fish without low gear but the gear ratio of the larger Senators is not all that high.  I have 2 Internationals that have 1:1 low gear for the last 100' of fight.

Mark Twain

Makule

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 31, 2012, 11:41:56 PM

Yeah: Built tough, can be repaired when broken, may not be the best looking (especially after use and abuse) but get the job done even under pressure, and is adaptable to different situations.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.