TSI on the levelwind

Started by lifeofRiley, March 21, 2017, 03:30:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lifeofRiley

I fish freshwater and in recent years have always used grease on my levelwinds. I researched this and am happy with it. I generally only deep clean my reels once a year because that is all they need. Although I don't have any TSI now I'm sure it'll show up on my work bench sooner or later(probably the next time I call Dawn for washers). I'm just curious if there's any way to know if there is still a coating on metal parts? With spool bearings I'm guessing that after the TSI eventually wears away you will be able to hear it in the same way a bearing that loses its conventional oil starts to "hiss or squeal" during a cast. I guess I'm wondering if a coating of TSI 321 will last 7 months of freshwater use on the levelwind. Reels would be low-profile bass rigs, curados and chronarchs.
15 2, 15 4, pair for 6, knobs is 7

Cor

I use Corrosion X on my levelwind, once a week in salt water and am happy.

Here everyone says TSI is better but I can't get it in S.A.
Cornelis

Tiddlerbasher

Bryan Young

I have used TSI301 on my Abu 6500 level wind assembly used for Rock Cod salt water fishing over the past 5 years without reapplication without any issues.  In fact, I haven't serviced the reel in the past 5 years but need to do so since I need new gears.  Other than that, I would probably not even open it up.  I don't cast as much as bass fisherman, so I'm not sure it's a good comparison.

The main reason I love TSI is that it also repels dust and dirt.  That's the death of any gearing system.  You can always apply TSI over the assembly and the pawl ever few months if you feel it's necessary.

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

exp2000

Quote from: lifeofRiley on March 21, 2017, 03:30:44 PM
I fish freshwater and in recent years have always used grease on my levelwinds. I researched this and am happy with it. I generally only deep clean my reels once a year because that is all they need. Although I don't have any TSI now I'm sure it'll show up on my work bench sooner or later(probably the next time I call Dawn for washers). I'm just curious if there's any way to know if there is still a coating on metal parts? With spool bearings I'm guessing that after the TSI eventually wears away you will be able to hear it in the same way a bearing that loses its conventional oil starts to "hiss or squeal" during a cast. I guess I'm wondering if a coating of TSI 321 will last 7 months of freshwater use on the levelwind. Reels would be low-profile bass rigs, curados and chronarchs.

Seems to last a full season on spool bearings according to the experts here.

It's mostly what I use on baitcasters. Easy enough to add a few drops every few months if in doubt.

Personally, I never use grease on baitcaster worm drives.

I call it rock glue and I see so many baitcaster worm drives wrecked like this.

I do use grease on larger overhead light game reel wormdrives but only light duty adhesive ;)
~

foakes

Bryan is right,

The TSI repels dirt and protects parts from friction wear.

And it stays in place longer than most of us may realize -- although, many times I just spray the LW worm with SG and remove the pawl for a quick soak in Simple Green when needed for a quick improvement when there is not the time to break the reel down.

As with all synthetic oils, as also in car engines -- synthetic oil will isolate and suspend the microscopic debris, metal shavings, and particles that can harm our equipment.

Then it just flushes out when needed to reoil.

I only use good, synthetic oil on LW systems (generally TSI321, if on hand) -- never grease.  Grease is only for gears, bearings in the salt, and to help prevent salt burn by greasing potential corrosion or intrusion points.

Just my opinions -- and this is for reels I and my clients actually use.  If a reel is to be set on a shelf for a collection -- it just gets minimal grease, and a light application of TSI.  Then it is sprayed down with WD-40 and wiped clean with a soft cloth.

When on a fishing trip, I always have a "Go Bag" full of tools, basic spare parts, cleaners, and lubes.  End up doing field servicing on a lot of reels in the evening for guys who don't know how -- before the next day of fishing.  This is also good for shows and demonstrations -- when doing clinics on weekends, or sometimes presentations or night classes.

Usually always in the truck when away from home.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

lifeofRiley

There's some interesting info here on why greasing a levelwind is a good thing and how oil can lead to premature wear and damage of a worm gear. I'm not saying one is right and one is wrong, do what works best for you. Do note that Shimano and Diawa reels both come with greased worm gears.

http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic.php?t=69890

Bryan Young

Interesting that this was discussed last year.

I use TSI because it's not a grease nor an oil. More like a dry lubricant that bonds to the metal, and you can actually spray down with fresh clean water and let dry and it's still lubricated.  Over the past 5 years or so, my work gear still looks like new. No groves that is not supposed to be there.  And my synchronous line guide moves back and forth faster when casting limiting the resistance.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

exp2000

Quote from: lifeofRiley on March 22, 2017, 05:59:36 AM
There's some interesting info here on why greasing a levelwind is a good thing and how oil can lead to premature wear and damage of a worm gear. I'm not saying one is right and one is wrong, do what works best for you. Do note that Shimano and Diawa reels both come with greased worm gears.

You might want to read that thread again more carefully. There is a diversity of opinion expressed in the thread.

QuoteIn my 33 years in business I have seen more damaged worm gears because of grease. Grease holds grit and basically turns into cutting oil.................

This comment gets my vote. Grease is a major problem resulting in damaged worm drives. Gravel cannot adhere to oil. It's that simple. But grease will trap large particles in the worm groove and it only takes one. The pawl will push it to the end of the machined groove and then ride over the top of it gouging a new path and destroying the worm drive.

TSI also gets endorsed in the thread as it should.

Claiming that grease is a better alternative because oil traps dirt and causes problems is pure nonsense and to suggest using it on a TDZ is just crazy in my opinion.
~

lifeofRiley

Quote from: exp2000 on March 22, 2017, 10:01:47 AM
Quote from: lifeofRiley on March 22, 2017, 05:59:36 AM

You might want to read that thread again more carefully. There is a diversity of opinion expressed in the thread.

You might want to read my last post more carefully. Like the part where I say "do what works best for you." And also the part about the two largest Japanese reel companies greasing all their levelwinds. I am well aware of the diversity of opinions on this subject. I have never had a worm gear wrecked by gravel. I will be trying tsi 321 soon as I think it will make for a cleaner reel.

Wolli

for more than forty years in reel service would say that reels with levelwind require more service than any other reel!
If dry, oiled or greased, you will find more or less particles at both ends. Depends on the water where the reels will be fished.

In my opinion most damage occurs to the grooves from a not free floating pawl. Regular inspecton during the season is advisable.

On small levelwinds i apply a mixture of 80pct Reelx with 20pct CorrosionX HD. On larger like in Penn GTI320/321 etc. a light coat of pure HD. In tournament BC SpeedX.
love jigging    www.jupiter-sunrise-lodge.com/de/
Authorized Jigging Master Service Partner (in Germany)

Tiddlerbasher

I would still go with tsi321 - any grease just slows down and gums up a level wind ;)

oc1

I have no complaints about TSI321.  But, if it sticks to metal, doesn't trap gunk and all that stuff, then why not put TSI put on the bearings instead of grease?  TSI is much easier to remove than grease when it comes time to clean.
-steve

foakes

Good thought, Steve --

However, I've always figured one of the functions of Marine Grease -- is to also help keep the salt out.

On freshwater reels, I minimize the grease because it slows the reel down when casting.

On saltwater reels, the grease gets maximized -- but I still do not use grease on the LW.

Just my preference -- not the last word.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Gfish

Interesting discussion, informative too. Never had to change levelwind parts probably 'cause it's the baitcaster version of the lineroller ona spinner. I check both a mine "almost" after every fishing trip. Quick look under a light ana drop a oil for the levelwind. Then test the lineroller on the spinners a couple a days latter(not workin well 'bout 1/2 the time). It's an easy down time thing to do when the commercials are on. Gotta try some a that TSI321.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!