Bushkill Creek / Bushkill, PA

Started by ChileRelleno, May 26, 2017, 09:30:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChileRelleno

We left Bama Wednesday morning, over nighted in Abingdon, VA and the next day stopped in Harrisburg, PA at Bass Pro Shops to pick up a few things before heading to our final destination here  in Bushkill, PA on Bushkill Creek.
Staying at my wife's sister's cabin which is right on the creek, and it offers some good Trout fishing, along with Bass, Bream and others.
Really nice place and our hostess is first rate.
Have some of my family (older Sister and family) who live in Bethlehem are coming up for a Memorial Day BBQ.
Going to visit, play and fish and BBQ the traditional burgers-n-dogs.

Our hostess Auntie Angela and her beautiful cabin home.

First Day of Fishing
First day of fishing for Nate and I commenced early with nothing to show.
But the afternoon has proven mildly productive.
I'm using Ultra Light and Light spinning gear, Nate is Flyfishing and Light spinning gear.
I'm brand new to trout, someone verify species for me, Rainbow and Brook?

I caught this 12.5" Bow(?) on a Mepps Comet Minnow drifting along a riffle, just barely keeping the lure facing down stream and picking up the slack.
First fish of the trip!

The Nate scores on a Caddis Fly, 10" Brook(?), he saw the fish rising to feed and put the fly in it's face and it ate.
This boy is a freaking natural born fisherman, and rapidly becoming adept at fly casting.

This is the stream at the front of the cabin, we're fishing along about a 3/4 mile in either direction on a private road.
Very little traffic from other fishermen as it is walk-in only allowed and must have property owner permission.
We've carte blanche permission anywhere on this side of the creek road.

Most of the people out here either fly fish or use live bait.
Lots of minnows, small earthworms, wax worms and hellagrammites on #6 and smaller hooks with BB sized split shot.
I may change my methods

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

ChileRelleno

Been wearing out the panfish this evening, some nice Red Breasted Sunfish.
I also caught another trout (species?), 10", on a red spotted/yellow Panther Martin spinner.

Nate caught a really nice Red Breasted Sunfish, 9"+.
Didn't get a pic of that one, but it'll be breakfast.
Ragnar Benson:
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

STRIPER LOU

Beautiful family, home, and Creek. That's about as good as it gets and fishing with your son too.

Enjoy,  ..  Lou

steelhead_killer

looks like good eating either way!  nice trout!  beautiful setting and home.  reminds me of home.
><)))">

Dominick

Hey Chili.  That's great whitetail country.  I used to hunt just over the NYS border.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

ChileRelleno

Quote from: STRIPER LOU on May 26, 2017, 11:10:11 PM
Beautiful family, home, and Creek. That's about as good as it gets fishing with you son too.

Enjoy,  ..  Lou
Thanks Lou, yeah it is an awesome trip for everyone.
But for Nate and I, well, we're the only two who fish, so we get the Bonus Plan!  ;D

Ragnar Benson:

ChileRelleno

Quote from: steelhead_killer on May 27, 2017, 12:47:39 AM
looks like good eating either way!  nice trout!  beautiful setting and home.  reminds me of home.
Thanks, yeah good eats coming.  Trout and Sunfish, with fried taters for breakfast tomorrow.
Beautiful is right, gorgeous.
Ragnar Benson:

ChileRelleno

Quote from: Dominick on May 27, 2017, 01:19:29 AM
Hey Chili.  That's great whitetail country.  I used to hunt just over the NYS border.  Dominick
Deer all over, had a small herd of 6 does on the road this morning.  Saw more cross the creek.
Bears visit regularly, so we always have SiL's dog with us to bark/chase and otherwise deter bears, plus a lil'something in my pants.  :o
And rabbits... Everywhere!
Ragnar Benson:

Gfish

Chile, regular Brook trout(not some odd strain) should have a white margin on the anterior portion of the bottom fins, 'cause they're in the Char family. The ones you got with the small spots look like Rainbows, the ones with large spots---? Springtime trout fishin for me used to mean slow retrieves and possibly bait 'cause of the low water temps.

Beautiful lookin cabin and land. Yer givin me a hankerin fer a mountains fishin trip!
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

David Hall

What a great way to spend the holiday.  Brings back memories of family spending the holiday with my grandparents on the feather river.  Fantastic fishing all year and epic at times.

I'm going to be out that way this coming September, flying in to Charleston, driving to South Boston, then to Pickens, then back to Charleston 10 days in all.  Still putting together my itinerary. 

ChileRelleno

Quote from: Gfish on May 27, 2017, 01:48:20 AM
Chile, regular Brook trout(not some odd strain) should have a white margin on the anterior portion of the bottom fins, 'cause they're in the Char family. The ones you got with the small spots look like Rainbows, the ones with large spots---? Springtime trout fishin for me used to mean slow retrieves and possibly bait 'cause of the low water temps.

Beautiful lookin cabin and land. Yer givin me a hankerin fer a mountains fishin trip!
Thanks, we're getting them figured out still.  One thing for sure, they'll all taste good.
Ragnar Benson:

Alto Mare

Quote from: ChileRelleno on May 27, 2017, 02:03:46 AM

Thanks, we're getting them figured out still.  One thing for sure, they'll all taste good.
Especially with your culinary skills. :)

Enjoy Pennsylvania along with your family John, you're at a very nice area.
I hunted Monoe County for the past 35 years, I'm about 3 1/2 hours from there.
I just gave up recently.
Have fun!

Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

ChileRelleno

Quote from: Alto Mare on May 27, 2017, 02:55:42 AM
Quote from: ChileRelleno on May 27, 2017, 02:03:46 AM

Especially with your culinary skills. :)

Enjoy Pennsylvania along with your family John, you're at a very nice area.
I hunted Monoe County for the past 35 years, I'm about 3 1/2 hours from there.
I just gave up recently.
Have fun!

Sal

Will do Sal!  ;)
Ragnar Benson:

ChileRelleno

OH!
Forgot to mention this...

Our Hostess is lonely and looking for a husband.
She only asks that he is under 55 yrs, has all his teeth, has his head on straight and easy going.
And that he is professional in his career field and financially sound on his own.
Conservative views, and must like dogs.

She is mid 40s, divorced, no kids, financially well off individual who has a very good job working for the Mars Corp.
Mars, ya know M&Ms and other candies.
Middle of the road conservative views, very laid back and fun person with an awesome personality.
Built for comfort on cold winter nights.
Has a dog.

I'm only half joking.
Ragnar Benson:

swill88

Quote from: ChileRelleno on May 27, 2017, 03:13:35 AM
OH!
Forgot to mention this...

Our Hostess is lonely and looking for a husband.
She only asks that he is under 55 yrs, has all his teeth, has his head on straight and easy going.
And that he is professional in his career field and financially sound on his own.
Conservative views, and must like dogs.

She is mid 40s, divorced, no kids, financially well off individual who has a very good job working for the Mars Corp.
Mars, ya know M&Ms and other candies.
Middle of the road conservative views, very laid back and fun person with an awesome personality.
Built for comfort on cold winter nights.
Has a dog.

I'm only half joking.

Wish I fit the bill... she's got a nice smile.