I jumped the gun and double dogged my 12/0. Second opinion needed.

Started by TheReelShop, June 14, 2017, 12:32:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheReelShop

I double dogged my 12/0. This is the first time I perform this. I installed the spring I believe a bit differently. The spring is half secured by the bridge plate and in my opinion it does seem like there wont be an issue. Wanted second opinions.

Thanks in advance

Shark Hunter

Looks like you removed too much material on the top. Shouldn't matter.
You need to get it all together to make sure it functions well.
I don't see any reason it wouldn't.
Its all about the spring tension. Your dog engagement looks fine.
If it sounds like a machine gun. You got it right. ;)
Life is Good!

TheReelShop

Quote from: Shark Hunter on June 14, 2017, 12:44:34 AM
Looks like you removed too much material on the top. Shouldn't matter.
You need to get it all together to make sure it functions well.
I don't see any reason it wouldn't.
Its all about the spring tension. Your dog engagement looks fine.
If it sounds like a machine gun. You got it right. ;)

I tested it like that and it sounds good no issues. So your thoughts are reassuring. I didn't like I went too much over the top. I used a dremel what tip do you use?

Shark Hunter

Sal turned me on to these.
It is worth the money. Trust me.
The dremel brand cutters dull. This will be the last set you buy for plate cutting.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130885906276?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Daron, the bits I purchased 5 years ago are still cutting...well worth the money.

TheReelShop, you did a neat job on the grinding, you went a little heavy towards the center of the plate, but it shouldn't be an issue.
Try not to grind in the house, you don't want to inhale that dust. If I do one, I take my dremel outdoors and still wear a dust mask.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

TheReelShop

Quote from: Shark Hunter on June 15, 2017, 09:15:35 AM
The dremel brand cutters dull. This will be the last set you buy for plate cutting.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130885906276?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Great I'll be grabbing a set

Quote from: Alto Mare on June 15, 2017, 10:14:38 AM
Daron, the bits I purchased 5 years ago are still cutting...well worth the money.

TheReelShop, you did a neat job on the grinding, you went a little heavy towards the center of the plate, but it shouldn't be an issue.
Try not to grind in the house, you don't want to inhale that dust. If I do one, I take my dremel outdoors and still wear a dust mask.

Sal

I have another one to do this time I'll wait for the Dremel tips to get here. I did it outside and quickly realized a mask is a must! I just took the pics inside.. 👍🏻

TheReelShop

Thanks to Lee for the dogs. I had to slightly modify hem but they are perfect!

This was before modifying (the one that's fit right was trimmed prior to picture)

And finally fitted!

Gfish

Remember the bridge plate's gotta be supported in part by the bakelite sideplate after you tighten down the bridge screws. Your material removal seems from the picture, not to be excessive at all, though.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

RowdyW

The one on the left is not seating deep enough in the ratchet tooth. Grind a little off the bottom of it to make it seat deeper & a little off the tip to put them in sync.          Rudy

TheReelShop

Quote from: RowdyW on June 20, 2017, 05:19:03 PM
The one on the left is not seating deep enough in the ratchet tooth. Grind a little off the bottom of it to make it seat deeper & a little off the tip to put them in sync.          Rudy

Thanks for that notice.

Both dogs are of different sizes. That's normal right?

Shark Hunter

They will be after you modify them for simultaneous engagement.
This was the last reel I did for a client.
Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

They started out the same size.
Life is Good!

TheReelShop

Quote from: Shark Hunter on June 20, 2017, 07:47:19 PM
They will be after you modify them for simultaneous engagement.
This was the last reel I did for a client.

Great Thanks Daron!!

alantani

Quote from: Shark Hunter on June 15, 2017, 09:15:35 AM

thanks!  i just ordered a set as well.   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Shark Hunter

Glad to see you milling around more often Boss. ;)
You will like those bits.
Life is Good!