Preparing to fish the 16/0

Started by The Great Maudu, July 31, 2017, 12:05:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggiesmalls

Quote from: thorhammer on August 07, 2017, 10:20:34 AM
How much 130 will it actually hold? Since I'm in the market lol
Looks like if you packed it SUPER tight you could get 1400-1500 yards of 130 on there (.047" diameter)

thorhammer

Crap. I think the spec says 1000; that's way off.

Shark Hunter

You are probably right Drew, now that I think about it.
That is still plenty.
Life is Good!

biggiesmalls

Quote from: Shark Hunter on August 07, 2017, 04:30:32 PM
You are probably right Drew, now that I think about it.
That is still plenty.
Yea, if you can't bring a fish in with 1500 yards of line then that fish won't be brought in, plain and simple. I hate to say it but maybe there are fish out there that simply aren't meant to be caught...

But that's what a lot of shark fishing is about, devising ways to catch those fish. Let's hope that by the time we find a way to do it, there are still enough of the big guys left.

Shark Hunter

There are plenty of Sharks for us, We just have to put in the time. ;)
They were here with the Dinosaurs, and will be here long after we are gone.
I have a question for you.
I don't want this to sound condescending, but lining this reel is going to be a feat, and I want some input.
I have 1000 yards of Chinese solid braid, and 1000 yards of bullbuster mono.
I'm going to back the spool with some Suffix 100 lb mono to give the braid something to bite on, then the bullbuster on top of the braid.
I know the Braid and the bullbuster isn't going to fill the reel up.
I need to take a guess on how much Suffix to put on the bottom, so the spool will be pretty full when done.
Mike is hell bent on spooling it like this, so I'm trying to accommodate his wishes.
Life is Good!

The Great Maudu

The mono goes on first. It's basically going to be backing for the braid. I think that should be plenty of line.

Shark Hunter

I'm supposed to know what is going on here. ::)
Its a done deal like that.
Mono in the back, braid in front. Got it.
That means I only have to tie one knot.
I know your guys know what they are doing, but It just doesn't feel right to me.
Its #### backwards in my logic.
It's your world, I'm just a squirrel. ;)
Life is Good!

FatTuna

I really prefer dacron as backing for big reels. It doesn't have any memory like mono, it's cheap, and it's spliceable.

I've been spooling a ton of big game reels lately. The hardest part is estimating how much line a reel can fit. It doesn't matter if you have a large spool of line and plan to spool multiple reels with it. However, it does matter if you have a spool that is low on line or is only good for a couple of reel. The reason being is that you can end up with only a partially filled reel or end up with not enough line to do another reel.

I've found the best way to do it is to buy really large spools of line. That way you don't have to do any math for the first few reels. You'll end up with less waste in the long run. The left over line can be used for rigging spreader bars or whatever. The other way to do it is to buy filler spools that have the amount of braid you want on the reel and then just fill it up with mono until it's full.

Figuring out how much line a reel can fit is really a monkey show unless you have some kind of a line counter device. All different brands of line are different diameters. Most reel manufacturers post bogus line stats. It gets even more confusing if you are spooling a reel with: backing, braid, a topshot, and a leader.......

I've just been eyeballing it because I don't have any fancy equipment. If I end up underestimating it, I'll spin it off with a drill and splice in more backing. At this point, I've done enough that I rarely have to do that.

Make sure you spool the braid super super tight. The mono doesn't need to be spooled as tight.

oc1

Dacron doesn't stretch.  It is a pleasure to fish with.  But, you can't let it touch the bottom because there is no abrasion resistance.
-steve

biggiesmalls

Quote from: Shark Hunter on August 08, 2017, 03:59:57 AM
There are plenty of Sharks for us, We just have to put in the time. ;)
They were here with the Dinosaurs, and will be here long after we are gone.
I have a question for you.
I don't want this to sound condescending, but lining this reel is going to be a feat, and I want some input.
I have 1000 yards of Chinese solid braid, and 1000 yards of bullbuster mono.
I'm going to back the spool with some Suffix 100 lb mono to give the braid something to bite on, then the bullbuster on top of the braid.
I know the Braid and the bullbuster isn't going to fill the reel up.
I need to take a guess on how much Suffix to put on the bottom, so the spool will be pretty full when done.
Mike is hell bent on spooling it like this, so I'm trying to accommodate his wishes.
Played around with a line capacity calculator and if the diameters I have below are correct, you could get 1,000 yards of braid and 1,000 yards of Bullbuster on there, with room left over for about 70-75 yards of Sufix. You may be able to pack more line on there depending on how close to the bars you want to go, and how tight you pack it - but under 100 yards would probably be a good amount.

Let me know if my diameters are right:
Sufix 100 lb mono is .039" in diameter
Bullbuster 100 lb mono is also .039" in diameter
200 lb Chinese braid is .030" in diameter

The Great Maudu

Your diameters are correct. We should be good to go with the braid over the mono. I don't want to be to close to the bars in case I don't get a perfect lay when when bringing it back in. It's been known to happen especially when fighting a big fish lol.

FatTuna

I'm just going to throw this out there.

It's important to keep your connections as slim as possible so they don't get jammed up going through the guides when you are tight. The most important connection is obviously the braid to topshot connection. Since you are using solid braid, you will have to either tie a bulky knot or use a piece of hollow braid/dacron to splice a loop on the end of the mono. Personally, I would go with loop to loop option. On the braid end, you could use a Bimini twist to create your other loop. Twist it up around 25 times. Then you can do a double cats paw to connect the loops. I would do the same for the braid to backing connection too in case you ever got down that low.

thorhammer

I'm very interested in all the connections on this one, D. My spool is on the way but I expect I'm going to back about 500 yds Dacron under. Should've let practice on it lol. What's better than hand reeling 2 miles of line? 4, of course lol

Benni3

If this helps,,,200lb 1000yds of fins braid and top shot 245yds of 200lb mono and I still got lots of room

The Great Maudu

I picked up the Big Fella fresh from the Shark Hunter's kitchen where he cooked up a new drag stack and cleaned the internals. I put it on a scale to see what the weight was before I load it up with line. Dead on 11 lbs.