Preparing to fish the 16/0

Started by The Great Maudu, July 31, 2017, 12:05:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

Good going on the turtle!

Looks to be an adult female Hawksbill.  These guys best in the area.  She should have already laid her clutch for the year.  Post-release survivability is good when externally hooked, and all gear was removed.  Glad the interaction was reported, hopefully to NMFS turtle stranding network? Or FWC?  There are forms, and a database for tracking recreational fishing gear interactions.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

swill88

Cool on the turtle release!

Does the turtle try to bite?

steve

The Great Maudu

Don't worry these guys know exactly what the proper procedures are and what to do in these situations. They do this about 300 nights a year and have encountered just about everything except hooking a whale. When you fish with these people you understand what Ohana means.

The Great Maudu

The Great Maudu

Tonight's line up. 3 50 wides, 4 80 wides and 1 16/0 Senator.

Tightlines667

Looks like you guys mean business.  I hope you hook into something that gives thst reel a workout.  Best of luck!
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

thorhammer

Oh damn Mike.  Daron won't sleep when he sees this.

Shark Hunter

I can't sleep anyway. I'm on 7 to 7 night shifts. ;)
Go get'em Mike!
Life is Good!

oc1

The gimbal stands are pretty cool but where are the tie-down ropes?
-steve

The Great Maudu

Steve, if you look close you'll see the leashes laying around. Also, you will notice the bait fish laying by the rods. This was taken just before bait deployment started. It's almost 11:00 pm and nothing yet.

oc1

So, they take all the baits out at once?  That really is a community sort of thing.
-steve

Alto Mare

Shaping up to be a great report, thanks for taking us along Mike.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

The Great Maudu

The baits are lowered two at a time into the kayak waiting 30' below. They are paddled out, in the dark, and deployed in a fan shaped configuration. The kayaker is in radio communication at all times with the people on the pier. He paddles out anywhere from 400 to 1000 yards and is instructed to " kick out" the bait on the right side or left side of the yak. Once both baits are out he heads back in and positions the boat to receive the next two baits. Last night right after I left one of the two remaining fisherman (jeff and Jim) hooked up. Jeff said he could tell it was a monster by how easy it was able to drag him up against the rail. The fish freed itself by straightening out the 16/0 stainless steel hook. These guys are catching some big fish. 6 weeks ago they beached a 14' Tiger shark. Three nights ago as they were pulling in an 8 footer another shark bit it in half. They have developed a system for catching and handling these fish in a safe, controlled manner. Tonight I saw no action. Jeff and Jim were still at it when I left. I'll let you know what happens. BTW ... when Jeff found out I was renting my pier cart he immediately lent me a brand new one to keep while I'm here.

Cor

Wow this makes my fishing look like I catch tiddly winks!!
Go get them Mike, waiting to see the pictures!
Cornelis

Shark Hunter

Mike,
You guys are probably going to start seeing the effects of the storm moving in soon.
I hope you get to hook up to at least one nice one.
My chance is coming soon.
Best of luck to you and the crew.
Be safe,
Daron
Life is Good!