Preparing to fish the 16/0

Started by The Great Maudu, July 31, 2017, 12:05:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Great Maudu

In the previous photo the big reel weighed 11 lbs empty. Now in this series we see her all fed and fat. Underneath the 6/10's of a mile of 200# braid is another 1/2 mile of 100# mono. She weighs 13 1/4 lbs. Put the massive rod in mix we're at 18 1/2 lbs. Throw in an old school leather and brass harness brings it up to 20 lbs even.

Benni3

Nice job,,,,and love that old school leather harness  :D

thorhammer

Hemingway would be proud, Mike!

The Great Maudu

I just got the call. Tomorrow night the 16/0 is going into action. I don't know how long it's been since this old warrior has seen water but a new chapter is about to start.

Shark Hunter

Take pics Mike. I want to see how these guys operate.
Life is Good!

swill88

I'll pay to see the bait delivery swim!
steve

The Great Maudu

Good idea on the pics. I'll get them.

The Great Maudu

Jim lacing up the baits.

The Great Maudu

Bait being kayaked out about 500 yards. First catch 9' Tiger shark. Can't get a good pic but it's being leadered to the beach to release Back into the sea.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

biggiesmalls

oc1

Man, that was QUICK.  Good going Mike.
-steve

The Great Maudu

After rereading my previous post it may have been misleading. I did not catch the 9' Tiger shark. Jeff, hooked up the fish and once satisfied it wasn't getting off, turned the chore of battling the monster to a young police officer from KY who had come out to watch. Sometimes these seasoned veterans will do that and it gives an onlooker the thrill of a lifetime. Here's a pic of the shark after it was walked to the beach and made ready for a safe release.

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

The Great Maudu

A little later in the evening another seasoned veteran had a hook up. He passed the rod to a young boy of about 12 who made his parents bring him back for another night of shark fish watching. He battled for 30 minutes and when we sighted his catch it was a 200 pound Sea Turtle. That prompted one of the most complicated and heroic releases I've ever seen. Immediately the Turtle people were notified but could not send anyone out. The pier manager fully documented everything with photos and the security cameras. A giant hoop net was brought to the side and lowered down. The Turtle was maneuvered inside. 15 men pulled on ropes to the animal on to the deck. It was foul hooked in the right flipper. Bolt cutters were retrieved and the barb was cut off allowing for removal of the hook. Then the Turtle was carefully lowered 30 ' over the side and swam to freedom. Here's a few pics.