Old Penn fan

Started by Stevedel, September 11, 2017, 01:30:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevedel

I don't recall how I stumbled across your website but I'm here now.

I don't want to modify any of my beloved Penn salt reels so, I guess, that's what E-bay is for. 140 Squidder in excellent condition will be here Tuesday. It, most certainly needs a silver Tiberon conversion, plus a few other modifications.

I will try to find another 112h, a Long Beach or two and perhaps another Jigmaster. That should keep me busy through the winter.

Congratulations on your wonderful website Mr. Tani and crew.

Steve

thorhammer

Steve, welcome. I'd say run while you can, but clearly it's already too late. You've picked some good pieces to work with.

John

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bill B

Steve, welcome to the Darkside no turning back now.....good to have you here....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

bhale1

Steve,
Already to late!! Like John said.... Get that Squidder,,,, modify it during the winter, and have fun!!!  Couldn't have come a better site for help or advice..... welcome!!!!
Brett

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

foakes

Welcome aboard, Steve --

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bryan Young

Welcome Steve.

Moderation or you will go broke.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

swill88

Quote from: Bryan Young on September 11, 2017, 04:22:37 AM
Welcome Steve.

Moderation or you will go broke.

Steve, welcome.

Listen to Bryan.

Ask me how I know.

Steve

Stevedel

Been here four days, already ordered four E-bayed Penn salt reels.

I guess it's cheaper than collecting ex-wives.

Crow

Yeah, but "just", LOL ! I bought a bucket full (5) at a rummage sale, last winter.....and there must be 30of them on the shelf, now....they multiply worse than rabbits :D! Welcome to the site....everyone here has treated this "newbie" just fine, and I'm thinkin' you will fit right in.
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Stevedel

Thanks, all, for making me feel quite at home.

Only one thing to add: Those little coil dog springs can end up just about anywhere, can't they?

Steve

foakes

Quote from: Stevedel on September 16, 2017, 06:05:19 AM
Thanks, all, for making me feel quite at home.

Only one thing to add: Those little coil dog springs can end up just about anywhere, can't they?

Steve

Yep, first couple I tried to do a few decades ago, likely ended up somewhere in lower Earth orbit.

Until I got the hang of rotating the bridge while setting the bridge screws -- I used a 2 gallon clear plastic bag.

After a couple of those with the safety net -- they just slide in perfectly -- bridge locks in place -- quick test the A/R clicker for function --  button it down and done.

Still lose one every couple of years, or so -- but it is generally found on the end of a flux brush in the grease tub.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

sdlehr

Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

broadway

Steve,
   You sound like a purist with your mentality of not modifying some of those special ones... I subscribe to that as well. Some Penn reels are meant to modify and some are just to innocent for that.
Welcome aboard and enjoy the greatest site on the web!
Dom