Filler for bad pitting?

Started by TJS23, October 02, 2017, 06:59:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJS23

Hi folks, I bought a Penn international 30tw recently. It’s in ok condition inside, but has some nasty deep pitting on the side plates (one or two actual holes!).
I’m not too worried about its cosmetics, so can I use a quiksteel/JB weld type filler on the pits? Or if not, what can I use to halt the corrosion?
Thanks in advance,

Tim

foakes

Hi Tim --

Plain, cheap white vinegar will halt the corrosion progress.

Just soak the plates in a vat of white vinegar for around an hour.

Remove and toss plates in a container of fresh water for a little while.

Remove, rinse and dry.

Now that the corrosion is halted -- others will have an idea of how to fill the deep pits.

Post some pics.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

TJS23

Fingers crossed...

Untitled by Cornwall Sportfishing, on Flickr

Untitled by Cornwall Sportfishing, on Flickr

oc1

I would sort of scrape them out too for fear that all that crusty stuff was preventing the vinegar from getting down to the base metal and to give the filler something firm to bond to.  If you're not using a lot of force you will not be removing solid aluminum and anything that pulls away is already junk.  You want to protect what's left of the anodizing though.  It's going to look even worse when you are through.

By the way, your photobucket images are never going to appear for most of us.
-steve

TJS23

Thanks for the advice - very helpful! Managed to post pics by Flickr instead I think.

1badf350

Sorry I couldn't resist......:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

ez2cdave

Here is ANOTHER possibility :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PENN-BIG-GAME-REEL-PART-International-30-Left-Side-Plate-/322693881886

Be SURE to ask the "Guru's" her, to be CERTAIN that the sideplates are compatible with your model reel !

Tight Lines !

foakes

Those are fairly extensive pits and boat rash all over the reel.

It will still look worse after hours and hours of work, IMO.

I might consider filling in the major pits -- sanding everything down and rough.

Then spraying the frame and plates with a flat crinkle paint in whatever color (grey, charcoal, black, red, OD, camo, or?) -- and call it a day.

It will catch just as many fish -- and it will never be cosmetically acceptable to anyone -- except if the frame and sideplates are replaced -- which is expensive.

Just depends on how much time you are willing to devote to this job.  Since it is your reel, the sky can be the limit.

Just a thought...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

thorhammer

we had a member do this recently....it looked like a matte stealth bomber reel....where is that thread...

Ron Jones

I would do what the gun guys seem to be doing every day these days. Sandblast the frame and plates to remove anodizing. Fill pits with epoxy and cerokote. That stuff is amazing.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

steelfish

this looks like a nice restoring project

I did something similar but in smaller scale, check this thread
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=18124.0

I would sand all the reel and paint it in a unique color for a international, like red, blue, etc.
or sand all the pitted areas, covering the areas with nice patina like external zone of the sideplates and paint the sanded areas with a best matching gold color
The Baja Guy

FatTuna

I would love to find a simple solution to this issue. Today I sold my old Shimanos for cheap because I was sick of looking at the rash.

ez2cdave

Quote from: FatTuna on October 05, 2017, 01:28:27 AM
I would love to find a simple solution to this issue. Today I sold my old Shimanos for cheap because I was sick of looking at the rash.

Something like THIS might be plausible . . . Remove it,when not fishing to make sure no moisture gets trapped.

Of course, it would be to be specific to the make and model of the reel.

https://www.amazon.com/Reel-Armor-Shimano-50WLRSA-Sapphire/dp/B0178V19IU/ref=lp_11131802011_1_1

Tight Lines !

oc1

I never heard of Cerakote Ron but it looks really interesting.
-steve