Various Screw sizes

Started by Reel 224, October 19, 2018, 03:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel 224

I may be out in left field with this question. I know there are many vendors who make various reel parts, such as gear bridges, frames, plates. In many stiles.

What I would like to see is a place/Post here were we could reference screw sizes either in MM or IN which ever is the case. It would be convenient for the guys to reference in the event they want to change screw configuration from slot to socket head or tourx.

Like one place shopping. It's hard for some to find what they want because of the mixed bag of parts that the vendors here offer.

Just a suggestion guys..................................Joe   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Frank

Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

George6308

Excellent idea. Also factory screw and thread sizes especially Penn's.

Gfish

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

reel man

Reel 224

Appreciate the good replies but it seems that no one is answering that I would have expected. :-\ ???............................Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Donnyboat

Good idea Joe, but the postage to West Aussie, is huge, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

oc1

It sounds like a great idea to me Joe.  It is almost as though reel makers went out of their way to use obscure sizes.
-steve

RowdyW

Quote from: Reel 224 on October 21, 2018, 02:54:28 AM
Appreciate the good replies but it seems that no one is answering that I would have expected. :-\ ???............................Joe
Maybe everyone is waiting for you to make the list. If you want ideas to work you have to implament them & follow through.         Rudy

Frank

Quote from: RowdyW on October 21, 2018, 09:02:32 AM
Maybe everyone is waiting for you to make the list. If you want ideas to work you have to implament them & follow through.         Rudy

I don't know if it is your intention but you are coming across a little snarky.

Glos

I just managed today, to resolve one big screw screw up. I have striped three mini screws that go into end of the reel bodies, and it caused that casing end to have a gap, tiny but still...
And of course, searching for a screw that has 4 mm in length and 1 mm thickenes is mission impossible.
So I had to drill a deeper hole into existing ones and fit the much longer and a bit wider screw in, which is still tiny, found it in the old shawing aparat parts after dissasembling it.
And it worked like a charm. It was such a relief !

And YES, we all need some measures, parts and all, with those.
Luck is when good preparation meets opportunity.

RowdyW

Quote from: Frank on October 21, 2018, 11:42:35 AM
Quote from: RowdyW on October 21, 2018, 09:02:32 AM

I don't know if it is your intention but you are coming across a little snarky.
Frank, no sarcasam meant.  ??? ??? ???

Frank

Reel 224

Rudy has a good point, and I would except I don't have the various reels to make all those screw measurements off of. I was hoping to get the guys here that make the plates,frames,and bridges to give me some guidance.

I do have work of my own as well to keep me busy. Not to find excuses but the time I spend here just posting from time to time makes it hard to do things like figuring out the many screw sizes when some could help with that end. Also I have had a UTI infection that is keeping me down these few weeks, The meds are making my concentration and ambition at less then I would like. Ruth can tell you I have slept most of the days away in the past few weeks.

Joe   

RowdyW

Joe, I think it would be simpler for each member who wants to get into reel repair or restoration would just purchase a caliper & thread gauges. The cheap ones at HF are adequit. Charts are available on line to copy for size reference. I am sure most of the members here already have the tools needed to find the right screw for their needs. The newbes have to get the tools or ask the membership for help once in a while. If anyone has to constantly ask then they need the tools & need to learn how to use them. Don't anyone think I am being harsh but that is just my way of explaning things.  ;)         Rudy