Drag slipping in cold weather

Started by aqua71, December 12, 2018, 04:35:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc1

Sorry to be a pest, but are you absolutely positive the line is not slipping on the spool?  Sometimes it is hard to tell.
-steve

aqua71

Quote from: oc1 on December 14, 2018, 04:41:05 AM
Sorry to be a pest, but are you absolutely positive the line is not slipping on the spool?  Sometimes it is hard to tell.
-steve
No worries, you're not being a pest. I'm absolutely positively 100% sure the line is not slipping.

MarkT

I can't believe the drag would slip when it got cold like the drag was backed all the way off.  When it's freezing have you tried cranking the drag down then pull some line out to warm up the drag a few times?  Does that solve the issue?  Do you store them out of gear?  Is the pinion frozen open so that it won't engage when you turn the handle until it warms up?
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Donnyboat

I would like to see photos of how your drag stack is put together, good luck, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

richard

Aqua 71

Could the spool spindle be slipping inside the spool?
I assume steel spindle and aluminium spool have different expansion rates and that the spindle is a tight interference fit when manufactured.
The rest of the reel may be fine ,just that the spindle turns without gripping the spool when cold and expands a fraction when warm?

alantani

Quote from: richard on December 14, 2018, 10:12:16 PM

yeah, maybe........   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Jighead61

aqua71,

I've encountered your issue with several customers' reels over the years. Providing everything else is functioning properly, the issue you're experiencing is likely due to contaminated drag washers.

The quick and easy solution is to start by replacing one reel with a set of c-tex washers to see if it resolves the problem, but if you feel like tinkering and want to confirm the washers are contaminated I suggest the following:

1) Take a small shallow pan and spread all the drag washers throughout. Spray them liberally with brake cleaner and let them soak for 15 minutes or more.

2) Use a stiff brush to remove any residues from both sides of the washers while they're still submerged in the brake fluid and let them soak for another 15 minutes.

3) Remove the washers from the pan and discard the dirty brake fluid.

4) Clean and dry the pan then repeat the steps above.

5) After completing the second treatment place all the washers on a lint free towel and let them thoroughly air dry.

6) Apply a very light coat of Cal's or Shimano drag grease and reassemble the reel.

You may need to adjust the length of time the washers soak or the number of cleaning cycles depending on how badly the washers are contaminated. The key as always is to experiment, but that formula is what has worked for me in the past.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Jighead61

Quote from: richard on December 14, 2018, 10:12:16 PM
Aqua 71

I assume steel spindle and aluminium spool have different expansion rates and that the spindle is a tight interference fit when manufactured.
The rest of the reel may be fine ,just that the spindle turns without gripping the spool when cold and expands a fraction when warm?

This is an excellent suggestion. I've serviced thousands of reels and have only run into this issue twice, so although it's rare, it's possibility that should not be overlooked.

aqua71

Quote from: Jighead61 on December 14, 2018, 11:39:49 PM
aqua71,

I've encountered your issue with several customers' reels over the years. Providing everything else is functioning properly, the issue you're experiencing is likely due to contaminated drag washers.

The quick and easy solution is to start by replacing one reel with a set of c-tex washers to see if it resolves the problem, but if you feel like tinkering and want to confirm the washers are contaminated I suggest the following:

1) Take a small shallow pan and spread all the drag washers throughout. Spray them liberally with brake cleaner and let them soak for 15 minutes or more.

2) Use a stiff brush to remove any residues from both sides of the washers while they're still submerged in the brake fluid and let them soak for another 15 minutes.

5) After completing the second treatment place all the washers on a lint free towel and let them thoroughly air dry.

6) Apply a very light coat of Cal's or Shimano drag grease and reassemble the reel.

You may need to adjust the length of time the washers soak or the number of cleaning cycles depending on how badly the washers are contaminated. The key as always is to experiment, but that formula is what has worked for me in the past.

Thanks for the suggestion and the tutorial. I'll pick up some brake cleaner today and give the drag washers a thorough cleaning.

sdlehr

Quote from: aqua71 on December 15, 2018, 05:06:46 PM
Quote from: Jighead61 on December 14, 2018, 11:39:49 PM
aqua71,

Thanks for the suggestion and the tutorial. I'll pick up some brake cleaner today and give the drag washers a thorough cleaning.
Please take and post before and after pictures of your drag washers, especially if this works - up close like above.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

aqua71

Quote from: sdlehr on December 15, 2018, 05:13:42 PMPlease take and post before and after pictures of your drag washers, especially if this works - up close like above.

Sorry, but I cleaned all the drag stacks before I saw this post, so I have no (after) pictures.

The drag stacks have now been thoroughly cleaned, so I'm curious to get out and see what happens.

handi2

Try the reels functions at home then put the reel in the freezer for a set time. Try it for function. Repeat until it fails. Then take it apart to check drags.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

aqua71

Quote from: handi2 on December 16, 2018, 02:58:41 PM
Try the reels functions at home then put the reel in the freezer for a set time. Try it for function. Repeat until it fails. Then take it apart to check drags.

I placed the reels in the freezer for 1-hour and they all functioned properly afterwards. I'm not sure if that's a true test, but it's a positive sign.

aqua71

I finally got on the water today as I was eager to try my reels. It was a balmy 19 degrees at 7:00 am and I'm very happy to report that all the reels passed the test as not a single drag slipped!

Dominick

Quote from: aqua71 on December 20, 2018, 02:01:12 AM
I finally got on the water today as I was eager to try my reels. It was a balmy 19 degrees at 7:00 am and I'm very happy to report that all the reels passed the test as not a single drag slipped!

Good for you.  While I know you drags did not slip at 19 degrees are you sure your marbles did not slip being out in that temperature?   :D ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.