Drag slipping in cold weather

Started by aqua71, December 12, 2018, 04:35:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aqua71

Hi Guys,

I recently began having problems with the drags slipping on several of my Daiwa SV103 freshwater baitcasting reels while fishing during freezing temperatures. This is the first time I'm using these reels under freezing temperatures.

The drags are slipping as though the drag star is completely backed off. Adjusting the drag star makes no difference in drag tension. The reels have never been serviced as they are relatively new and factory stock. The reels come factory equipped with carbon fiber washers.

Just a few notes: the A/R bearings are functioning correctly and the line is not slipping on the spool, so those are not the issue. I should also note that ALL the drags functioned correctly later in the day as air temperatures warmed up above freezing.

I initially assumed the factory grease was the culprit, so as an experiment I removed and cleaned the grease from the drag stack on only one reel.  I reassembled the drag stack (DRY) and on my following trip I had the same issue, so apparently the factory grease was not the issue (or so I don't think).

I could be wrong, but I'm thinking moisture is somehow getting trapped inside the drag stack and freezing under extremely cold conditions. This issue has me baffled, so I look forward to any suggestions in helping me resolve it.

Thanks,
Sal

sharkman

I had quantum spinning reels do this and it was the antireverse bearing

alantani

this one has me baffled.  conceivably, hot weather might make the grease more slippery, cold weather less so.  that's just the opposite of what you are seeing.  i dunno......   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

philaroman

a) tolerance  :(  issue: parts from different "wrong" materials shrink from cold, at drastically different rates

b) "routine"  :)  issue: something about your winter storing/transporting routine (moving reels between cold/dry & warm/moist) is condensing water somewhere unwanted

c) something else ???

Tiddlerbasher

Try flushing the ar bearing with solvent to completely de-grease - then just a single drop of CorrosionX oil. Let us know how it goes. A lot of ar bearings don't like too much lube particularly grease. Oil in cold weather gets thicker (more like grease) it could be a problem :-\

sdlehr

It'd be interesting to experiment to find out if it fails in just cold, or does it have to be cold + wet.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Dawn

Are you sure stock is carbon fiber, or the hard slick carbon?

Dawn
Dawn

aqua71

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on December 12, 2018, 10:19:45 PM
Try flushing the ar bearing with solvent to completely de-grease - then just a single drop of CorrosionX oil. Let us know how it goes. A lot of ar bearings don't like too much lube particularly grease. Oil in cold weather gets thicker (more like grease) it could be a problem :-\

Quote from: sharkman on December 12, 2018, 04:44:50 PM

I had quantum spinning reels do this and it was the antireverse bearing

Guys, thanks for your suggestions, but as I already mentioned the A/R bearings are functioning properly.... the issue is the drag stacks.

Quote from: sdlehr on December 12, 2018, 11:05:35 PM
It'd be interesting to experiment to find out if it fails in just cold, or does it have to be cold + wet.

On two consecutive trips (before and after I cleaned the drag stack) the reel failed under just cold conditions.... not cold + wet.

Quote from: Dawn on December 12, 2018, 11:47:11 PM
Are you sure stock is carbon fiber, or the hard slick carbon?

Dawn, I'm not sure what the difference is. How do you tell them apart? Is one more susceptible than the other under freezing temps?

Dominick

Please take it apart and take closeup photos and post here.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

redsetta

Just a thought, but is there any chance the pinion isn't reengaging with the shaft pin properly, eg some frozen moisture on the spool shaft?
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Alto Mare

Something similar was discussed a while ago, but don't remember who it was.
He mentioned grease carbon fiber washers didn't do for him in cold climate, but Dawn's Smoothies did great, he used those dry.

Dawn, might still have those in stock.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tightlines667

Cal's purplr is designed for cold temps amd may be a good optiom here as well.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Tiddlerbasher

I've used Cals purple/normal under hot and cold conditions - didn't see any real difference :-\ More importantly I've never had a cf drag stack behave radically differently hot to cold or vice versa. Now if it gets wet - as in a dunking - that's different.

When you say the ar bearing is operating normaly - how do you know?

oldmanjoe

???    I am lost , what does the ar bearing got to do with slipping drags ?   Would the handle go into knuckle busting mode if the ar is slipping ?
Just trying understand how this works.  Joe
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
" Life " It`s a thinking man`s game
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Dawn

Carbon fiber has a weave, like a fabric.  Hard carbon looks like pencil lead, no texture.
Dawn