Duel 6/0 CF Rings

Started by locknut, October 15, 2011, 11:20:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

locknut

Gidday Dawn

I am not sure if you can help but I will carry on talking regardless. I have a number of older Duel 6/0 reels. These older reels have a multistack drag with two of these CF Rings with stainless drag washers between. Unfortunately the lugs around the circumference tend to break off.  These older CF rings are not made by the manufacturer any more. I could buy a new spool for each reel but that is an expensive option which I hope not to have to pull from up my sleeve. They are made of some sort of cardboard like product with a woven drag material on either side. They measure 81mm OD 36mm ID and 2.7mm thick.

I was going to get a friend to make some new rings out of stainless steel then adhere drag material to each side. Do you have drag material wide enough to achieve this and if so how thick is it so I can calculate the thickness of the S/S. Also if all goes to plan what would I use to stick the drag material to the S/S with?

I hope this sort of makes sense.

Many thanks

Dawn

Let me look through some of my stuff and see if I can come up with any ideas.

Dawn
Dawn

Robert Janssen

Wow, that sucks...

However, this can't be the biggest problem in the world.

If Duel can't supply the drag washers, well how about blank stainless washers with ears? There should be one at the bottom of the drag stack. You can use those to bond a friction material to, which saves you the hassle of having them made.

I've made discs like this before, both the six-lobed metal discs in composite, titanium and aluminum (rather unneccesarily time-consuming to do manually, i might add) as well as bonding new friction material to an existing disc. (see a recent Everol thread where this was done) with excellent results.

Alternatively, Maybe Dawn can arrange to bond two sheets of friction material together back-to-back (i was thinking of two SSL sheets, Dawn, @ 1.3 mm each- two of those makes 2.6 mm, which is close enough to the target thickness of 2.7 mm.) and have the discs waterjetted. Or something.

Or?

...And for what its worth, this thread is closely related to this one, with essentially the same question:

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=4451.0

And PS, i had a look at Everol discs when this thread first came up... No, they don't fit.

Nessie Hunter

I assume the metal washers are Keyed ID to Dive shaft (like many drag systems).

Would it work - to then have a few Eared Metal SS washers made at 1.7 mm (just the shape of your current Drag Washers pictured, but thinner 1.7 mm)
Then place non-eared or Keyed, Carbontex between them at 1mm

This would be just like a common drag stack, Keyed metal, Carbontex, Eared Metal, Carbontex, Keyed etc etc etc....
Is this possible or would it work???   Easier/better then gluing?????

Just thinking out loud........??????????

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Robert Janssen