What is your favorite braided line color?

Started by Black Pearl, November 24, 2011, 04:27:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinkerswim

New to braid, only have one reel loaded right now. I am using Jerry Brown white, with an eight foot mono top shot. Why, you ask? Because the guys I fish with swear by it. And, the tackle shop where I had it spooled stocked it. Right now I'll say I can keep pace with the novices, but not the sharpies. However, one guy likes the multi colored depth counter line especially for bottom fishing. But aren't you always headed for the bottom when bottom fishing?

I've also heard that red does dissapear under water.

So red or white.

Keta

Quote from: sinkerswim on November 26, 2011, 03:35:09 AM
...... However, one guy likes the multi colored depth counter line especially for bottom fishing. But aren't you always headed for the bottom when bottom fishing?

We are targeting suspended albacore and the depth counter line makes my job as deckhand/babysitter easier.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

sinkerswim

Quote from: Keta on November 26, 2011, 04:47:08 AM
Quote from: sinkerswim on November 26, 2011, 03:35:09 AM
...... However, one guy likes the multi colored depth counter line especially for bottom fishing. But aren't you always headed for the bottom when bottom fishing?

We are targeting suspended albacore and the depth counter line makes my job as deckhand/babysitter easier.

Keta, I understand the way it operates, and it's application. It really doesn't apply when bottom fishing. Because you are trying to fish absolute bottom. It may serve to let you know just how deep you are but, definitely has no practical use bottom fishing. If you are fishing the middle of the water column, it would seem to be an excellent tool.

Keta

Yup, it is.   My personal deep water halibut reels are set up with 200yds of 60lb green Power Pro on top of lots of hollow JB in white.  I use 10' 50lb mono topshots on these.  The charter reels are a mix of braid, mostly yellow for visibility when trolling but we use it for halibut.

BPFT, I'd be willing to look over and test a small sample but be warned, JB is just over the mountains from me and Jerry has always treated me well.  I will do a fair test though.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

wallacewt

[img][img]
i imported sk71 from china a couple of years back
10-20-40-80lb.
red white pink multi
3-4-8ply
pros,
its cheap, 4cents/7.5 cents a metre $65/1.5 kg postal.
600m x 80lb=$27aud
ok troll,bottom,jig.
knots tie ok
stated b/s breaks under and over just like all the rest.
you dont have to worry if you lose any.
cons
its bulky
colours come off onto your fingers
not the best casting line
summary
you get what you pay for
dont know why the photos didnt turn out.ill try again

Keta

Quote from: wallacewt on November 26, 2011, 12:59:11 PM

Modern braid, jell-spun polyethylene, does not take on color well.  That's I use white for most of my line.

Mark Twain

Black Pearl

Quote from: Keta on November 26, 2011, 05:57:15 AM
Yup, it is.   My personal deep water halibut reels are set up with 200yds of 60lb green Power Pro on top of lots of hollow JB in white.  I use 10' 50lb mono topshots on these.  The charter reels are a mix of braid, mostly yellow for visibility when trolling but we use it for halibut.

BPFT, I'd be willing to look over and test a small sample but be warned, JB is just over the mountains from me and Jerry has always treated me well.  I will do a fair test though.
Thank Keta. I will definitely need everyone's honest opinion on this line. Please send me your info, and I will let you know when the testing line is ready.

Irish Jigger

Have you considered having your line tested by this guy who appears to be extremely professional?

http://www.paulusjustfishing.com/

Black Pearl

Quote from: Irish Jigger on November 26, 2011, 05:24:36 PM
Have you considered having your line tested by this guy who appears to be extremely professional?

http://www.paulusjustfishing.com/

Thanks. I will check him out.

Black Pearl

Quote from: wallacewt on November 26, 2011, 12:59:11 PM
[img][img]
i imported sk71 from china a couple of years back
10-20-40-80lb.
red white pink multi
3-4-8ply
pros,
its cheap, 4cents/7.5 cents a metre $65/1.5 kg postal.
600m x 80lb=$27aud
ok troll,bottom,jig.
knots tie ok
stated b/s breaks under and over just like all the rest.
you dont have to worry if you lose any.
cons
its bulky
not the best casting line
summary
you get what you pay for
dont know why the photos didnt turn out.ill try again
I hate to state that, that does not look like the Japan made Dyneema SK-71. It looks like Chinese made Di Li Ma SK-71.. It is true that you get what you pay for. When I get the 5000M testing line, I will take a picture of it and post it here.

wallacewt

send me a sample and ill check it against mine

Black Pearl

Quote from: wallacewt on November 26, 2011, 10:09:39 PM
send me a sample and ill check it against mine
I will do that. I will let you know when it is ready. How long do you need 1M?

wallacewt

haha if you can spare it

Black Pearl

Black Pearl

I have decided to get the sample line to be made in yellow between 50# to 80# in 5000M = app. 5460 yards. Half of that has been reserved for couple commercial captains testing in NC.

Thank you for all you guys input.

The following is the measurements on this line.

Line Diameter            10lb             12lb    15lb             20lb    30lb            40lb            50lb       60lb             80lb
Inches                    .0051    .0063    .007            .007            .009           .011           .0118    .0137    .0165
Millemeters            .13            .16            .165            .185            .230           .28           .30            .35       .420