Penn 113h Reel/Tank

Started by Alto Mare, December 02, 2011, 02:39:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

p-deverett

Looks great Justin, looking forward to catching up

Peter

Alto Mare

I've been seeing a heap of Baja Special for sale lately :-\, that could mean that they finally woke up and realized that the Tank is a tougher reel.
;D ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Makule

The exchange between johndtuttle and Sal has me confused.  I'm having a difficult time visualizing the modification that John is talking about.  John (or anyone else) would it be possible to post a line drawing so I can see what you're trying to accomplish and what issues Sal is referring to?

Also, not to through water on anyone's parade, but one should also keep in mind that adding "stuff" to the reel increases  weight.  As we move towards stronger drags, we move towards stronger SS sleeves, stronger frames, double dogs, etc., and all of that adds weight.  Add more bearings, more weight.  Maybe pretty soon the whole thing starts to weight about the same as an HN or MTL and makes one think about modifying those, or even some of the lever drag reels.  With the greatest respect for Sal, because he's considered many mods and has weighed (pun intended) the pros versus cons, it can get pretty easy to get carried away with things.

For example, I could probably produce a longer post, sleeve, and gears (not helical) so that the whole thing could hold maybe even 20 disks.  Get you maybe 50 lb, and more, of drag.  But why do that if it's of no practical value, or the benefits can already be had in existing reels?

Some people tell me they climb mountains just because the mountain is there (aka "I'll do it just because I can").  For me, it's a matter of climbing the mountain only if it helps me accomplish something (like being able to breathe, of finding that pot of gold, etc.).
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Alto Mare

No issues here at all Albert, just surprised to see so many Bajas for sale this week.
Nothing against you, but be careful on how you think. One day you might say why get up today and go to work, knowing that I will die one day ;D.
Myself and others here like to push things to their limits, why? becouse it's there for us to explore ;). Does it make any sense?....who cares.
Later buddy. Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

One good thing is SS is lighter than brass.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Makule

QuoteNothing against you, but be careful on how you think. One day you might say why get up today and go to work, knowing that I will die one day Grin.

No offense taken.

Sorry, can't die yet.  Too many things to do.  Have enough projects to keep me going for 50+ years, and I've been talking to my wife recently about pursuing a third career.  Knowing that my day will come keeps me trying to finish the things I want to before that happens.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Baronsrods

I would love to thank everyone on this site for all of their excellent info on builing a T4NK. I just completed building one and I can't wait to fish it. I took advise about the grinding of side plate for the 2nd dog . I did however leave a little extra meat on the sideplate so the dog spring stays well in place under the bridge plate. I did however remove about .25-.5MM from the side of the dog itself , which will in no way affect performance or durability, and I like the idea of the spring staying firmly in place. I have enclosed pics of the grinded area , the dog spring installed and the T4NK I just completted that I think looks awesome

Baronsrods

Baronsrods

The dog spring under the bridge plate

Baronsrods

And my finished handywork , thanks again guys

Alto Mare

Looks like you have a plate that can be  used for letf hand or right hand. I did something similar, it's on one of the pages here on this long book ;D, but I used a flat spring. Very nice job, thanks for sharing.
that reel looks awesome ;).
Sal

Baronsrods

Thanks Sal. I have always been addicted to my rod building but now I have a new way to spend my time and money  ;D

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

wallacewt

terrific,dont forget the pic; after you land im.  also line,drag,etc;

Cone

Great Job. I bet it fishes as good as it looks. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD