Penn 113h Reel/Tank

Started by Alto Mare, December 02, 2011, 02:39:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Quote from: FirePro911 on June 06, 2013, 01:49:49 PM
Is this normal?

Yes, it's the nature of non AR bearing reels.  The AR dog is engaging with the ratchet on the gear sleeve.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

shellbank99

Ask and you shall receive

shellbank99

s1281.photobucket.com/user/Troy_Argabright/media/Facebook/iOS%20Photos/972086_625307984165940_484481007_n.jpg.html][/URL]

I will try and post some pictures from this weekend if weather clears out. Snapper season is short in the Gulf.

raumati01

Nice photos mate, what are the brown fish with your snapper? Your snapper look a bit like ours.

Alto Mare

Great shots Shellbank, thanks for sharing. I remember that snapper being very tasty, the last time I came down Islamorada, I believe I had it blackened. Is that young man getting any on the boat yet?
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

shellbank99

Sal,
That is my oldest son. He made the trip that day, he reeled in a few with the rod in the holder so he could use both hands. And as far as brown fish I think u may be talking about the red grouper. Bottom left of the picture, one is missing some significant body mass due to bull shark. The others are lesser amberjack and yes those red snapper are very good eating.

Alto Mare

Yes you're right and that's what I meant to write. BTW, my wife doesn't eat fish, she ate that blackened grouper that night....good stuff. I also remember catching tripletails, something that I've never seen up north. Any floating object on the water and sure enough there would be tripletails below. Are those good to eat?
I miss Islamorada, can't wait to get back.

That boy is on the right track, how couldn't he be, you got him started on a tank. ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

BMITCH

Shellbank, this is such a great post and pictures. Thanks so much for showing us. :o :o
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

FirePro911

Excellent! We are headed out a little over a 100 miles today and coming in Sunday afternoon on my buddies boat. Ill post up pics when we get back.

shellbank99

Sal,
Triple tails are great eating, I have not seen any this year. But I have been fishing live bottom and limestone. Those hang out under anything floating. We been bottom dropping mostly. I may do some searching if I come across a weed line this weekend. I need to put some mahi in the freezer anyway.

Alto Mare

Quote from: FirePro911 on June 07, 2013, 04:58:47 PM
Excellent! We are headed out a little over a 100 miles today and coming in Sunday afternoon on my buddies boat. Ill post up pics when we get back.
Are you bringing the new tank you just put together? Don't forget the camera...... Stay dry ;)

broadway

Nice catch of some of the best tasting fish out there.  Way to get the next generation out there to do some yanking... Give em a fish and they eat well today, teach em how to fish and they eat well forever;)
When I was in the Everglades last year with mom we did sight fishing for triple tail and landed one out of about 4 that we saw.  It was tough to get used to because they look like dinner plates on the surface from a distance because they lay sideways on the surface.
Well done,
Dom

Jerseymic

Give em a fish and they eat well today, teach em how to fish and they eat well forever;)
Dom, one of the truest sayings in life.

Mike.

Alto Mare

It has been over 18 months since I started the " Tank ". I was lucky enough to have my buddy Dominick   (Pescachaser ) give this reel a good workout.
He has caught some nice fish on it, The last fish wash a 150lb Marlin,  he mentioned that the Marlin didn't give him half of the fight that the Roosterfish did.
I asked Dominick if he could send the tank back to me, I wanted to take a look at the inner parts, he kindly agreed.
So, here is the tank:

Dominick wanted to know how much drag he was getting, so the first thing I did was to take tank outside and test it

here is what I got, about 21lb

and here is the tank on my workbench ready for disassembly

I mentioned earlier that the tank had two small issued, here is one of them

The handle knob started to work itself loose. When I assembled it I used low strenght threadlock, this time I used medium strenght.
I told Dominick that if it gets loose again, he will need permanent loctite.
Honestly, after removing the handle screw, I believe that he would have still been anble to fish, that knob has a nice size screw.
when I removed the handle I noticed a lot of black grease, didn't look good, I thought the washer under the main gear got chewed up.

wasn't the case, Cal's got mixed with the carbon fiber, that's all. BTW, the washer under the gear looked good

the tank looked the same as the day I put it together

here is the second issue

as you can see from the picture the tongue on the right is thicker than the left one.
I thought I was doing a good thing but actually it caused the C clip to come off while Dominick was fishing.
He was able to put it back at the hotel though.
I mentioned to Dominick that I was going to try to give him some more drag, probably close to 30lb.
This is the way I decided to go

the gear on the right is the new upgrade.
I also decided to give Dominick a better bridge

this one will help keep the spring in place, not that I had problems with the old bridge, I figured if I was able to do it, why not use it.
I put everything back and took the tank outdoors for some testing

this is what I got

Enjoy it for what it's worth, thanks again Dominick and others that were involved.

Dominick, I'm hoping that you will take the tank with you again, on the  Tournament.
If you do, fish it hard. The drags feel a little smoother that earlier, to get to 30lb you need to crank the star all the way....don't hold back.
I checked everything twice, the tank is ready to go.  I will drop it in the mail to you as soon as I can.
Thanks again for doing this buddy.
Sal

broschro

I had the same issues with my handle screw. Loc tight  8) no more probs