Previous topic - Next topic

saltydog

Very nice reel,keep it up.
William
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

wolvie

So I read through the whole thread and can't wait to try this myself, but it looks like I need ss dogs from Keta, ss sleeve from Alan, ss yoke from smoothdrags.  No way to do one stop shopping ?
I guess I'll have to pick out some new delron handles and make it a project.

I already picked up some of those steel 4:1 gears on ebay.  (Did anyone actually fish with them yet? Are they worth the price?)

My wife hates it when I read this site now  . . .

Keta

Alan has some SS dogs.  If he's out I'm easy to deal with.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

johndtuttle

Quote from: Makule on November 16, 2012, 04:05:17 AM
The exchange between johndtuttle and Sal has me confused.  I'm having a difficult time visualizing the modification that John is talking about.  John (or anyone else) would it be possible to post a line drawing so I can see what you're trying to accomplish and what issues Sal is referring to?

Also, not to through water on anyone's parade, but one should also keep in mind that adding "stuff" to the reel increases  weight.  As we move towards stronger drags, we move towards stronger SS sleeves, stronger frames, double dogs, etc., and all of that adds weight.  Add more bearings, more weight.  Maybe pretty soon the whole thing starts to weight about the same as an HN or MTL and makes one think about modifying those, or even some of the lever drag reels.  With the greatest respect for Sal, because he's considered many mods and has weighed (pun intended) the pros versus cons, it can get pretty easy to get carried away with things.

For example, I could probably produce a longer post, sleeve, and gears (not helical) so that the whole thing could hold maybe even 20 disks.  Get you maybe 50 lb, and more, of drag.  But why do that if it's of no practical value, or the benefits can already be had in existing reels?

Some people tell me they climb mountains just because the mountain is there (aka "I'll do it just because I can").  For me, it's a matter of climbing the mountain only if it helps me accomplish something (like being able to breathe, of finding that pot of gold, etc.).

Sorry, I know you posted this a while back but let me explain.

If you check your own Penn Senator by flexing the handle back and forth you will notice a fair amount of "slop". The way the gear sleeve fits onto the post of the bridge has pretty loose tolerances and this slop when you are cranking will cause misalignment of the main and pinion resulting in binding.

Some of this (in my case) is that I haven't upgraded to a one piece frame as yet. But if you note, virtually all of the top star drag or lever drag reels use bearings to support their gear sleeve or "drive shaft" as the case may be. This in conjunction with one piece machined frames keeps the main gear and pinion in close alignment. This leads to superior cranking power under load.

Note, the Baja Special and the Metal Senator have bearings supporting their gear sleeves as well. This is a standard upgrade to improve performance in higher end reels. The more things that are held in perfect alignment the more cranking power you get for the given gear ratio and the longer the parts all hold up.

best regards

saltydog

Wel I guess I am old school but for 37 oz. with 525 yds. of 80# line on it and 25+ pounds of drag this isn't bad.I guess I am like Sal I love a good tank.
MacArthur

Alto Mare

That's one sharp looking reel, William. I also like that nice carving job you did on that plate ;). Lots of luck with it.
Sal

Some mentioned that these reels get heavy with all of the upgrades that we keep adding. Here is just a comparison of two older reels, both in standard size:

The red one has been upgraded with ss sleeve, ss gears, ss yoke, ss handle, (5) ss drag washers and a topless Tib frame.
5 oz. is a lot of weight for a fishing reel.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

saltydog

Well I guess for some but when guys are useing 12 oz. of lead 300 feet down I think the point becomes moot,don't you agree.
MacArthur

Alto Mare

William, I meant 5oz. is a lot of weight by comparison.
You are absolutely right about your comment, weight comes into play with some type of fishing.
I was just answering one of the comment above, not related to your reel at all.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

SS is lighter than brass.  One of the best things I did was replace a heavy bronze spool with a much lighter aluminum one on a 349H.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

saltydog

Yes once I get all the parts together I am gonna put an aluminum spool on a standard width 113H with ss gear sleeve,steel 3.25:1 gear,ss double dogs and a 7+1 drag stack,with an accurate frame for my grouper and snapper bait reel.
MacArthur

basto

These reels are not heavy. I just sold my old International 20. That was heavy!
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

saltydog

Now those internationals were heavy,a Tank is much lighter.
MacArthur

shellbank99

I have a couple baja specials and I have 2 tanks with all the fixins. Steel double dogs, accurate gears, stainless yoke, stainless shaft, and topless tiburon frame. I straightened a hook this weekend on my tank. I think it may have been a jewfish. I held the spool with my thumb and the tank held tight as always. Not a small hook either, 7/0 circle. I also landed a few bull sharks this weekend in the 200 pound class. I was bottom dropping 10 ounces lead with live bait, no issues. We limited on red snapper and I caught the biggest red grouper I have seen landed since I have been fishing. The tanks are as durable and reliable as anything out there. The baja's are nice but I do not like the large reel seat it has. It makes it impossible to put on my favorite rod. They are not much on bling appeal but fisherman want equipment that is tough not pretty, Well at least this fisherman.

Alto Mare

Very nice Shelbank. Take some pictures next time, we love pictures around here.
Sal

FirePro911

Nice! We are headed out on my buddies 42' Bert this Friday and coming back in Sunday. Headed to the Shelf and floaters and everywhere in between. So the reel will get a real workout for the first time.

I spooled it with 200 yards of 30lb mono and 300 yards of 50lb braid.

I've noticed it has some play/slack in it. If I reel it up tight, it lets a little back out on its own. Say I have a leader on it, I clip the leader to an eye and try to reel it up tight to hold, it doesn't hold tight. I can turn the handle back about an inch it seems. Is this normal?