Can I get some input on "real" reel specs

Started by TonyFriend, December 16, 2011, 03:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TonyFriend

One would think that the specs of a reel, such as the spool capacity and the drag characteristics, were something that could be defined accurately by the manufacturers. However, in comparing some reels I have with the manufacturers' specs, it seems some are way off.

I'm about to string and re-string some of my trolling reels, and hope that someone will be able to give their experienced opinion on some facts.

In all the issues, I'm referring to reels that have been gone over by Alan but kept to factory configuration and specs.

Shimano TLD20-II
What is the max drag at strike?
What is the spool capacity with 65lb PowerPro Braid?
What is the spool capacity with 80lb PowerPro Braid?

Shimano TLD30-II

Okuma Cavalla 15-II

Lastly, I read in a post somewhere that a TLD30-II frame broke when the drag got to 27lb. Anyone got thoughts on the drag that would break any of these three reels?

Thanks a bunch

Norcal Pescador

Can't help you with your other questions, but here's the line capacity estimator program that I use. It's an Excel(R) spreadsheet. You need accurate line diameters to work it.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1836.0

Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Keta

Quote from: TonyFriend on December 16, 2011, 03:44:42 PM

Lastly, I read in a post somewhere that a TLD30-II frame broke when the drag got to 27lb. Anyone got thoughts on the drag that would break any of these three reels?

Thanks a bunch

If you are fishing over 80lb I'd suggest a metal framed reel.

I've seen a non metal frame 30 and a 50 come apart on big fsh, here's one of them.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

TonyFriend

Quote from: norcal pescador on December 16, 2011, 06:52:17 PM
Can't help you with your other questions, but here's the line capacity estimator program that I use. It's an Excel(R) spreadsheet. You need accurate line diameters to work it.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1836.0

Thanks a bunch - I'll play with the line calculator to see what it says.