EatMyTackle H346

Started by PacRat, June 16, 2021, 10:50:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wompus Cat

Quote from: RowdyW on July 05, 2021, 01:04:18 AM
Quote from: Wompus Cat on July 05, 2021, 12:37:10 AM

I have Newell frames and center pieces for 113H but don't have a Complete Newell Reel I can find anyway ....

Here are dimensions of the EMT Handle.
The elongation is  .39in  9.9mm  and is .32in  8.2mm wide
If you have a Newell handle to measure or any Handle with those dimensions .

Cat I think you had better remeasure. I measured the sleeve and the rounded end is .340" & across the flats is .249". Newell arms should fit without alteration.

Those measurements I posted are of the Hole in the Handle and are accurate.
If the item you are trying to put over another is the same size as the item you are putting it over; well you could only Butt them together . Unless you shrink the sleeve in the Freezer  and heat  the Handle to expand it them to fit then you would have a Snug Fit .
I agree with your  Sleeve measurement as it  is smaller than my Handle Measurement .

Don't know come here from sic em about Newell guts but assume the Gear sleeve on the model you are using for comparisons is smaller than the Penn113H sleeve.?
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

RowdyW

The measurements are from the EMT sleeve. Mike said earlier that the Newell handle will fit.

Wompus Cat

Quote from: RowdyW on July 05, 2021, 02:21:39 AM
The measurements are from the EMT sleeve. Mike said earlier that the Newell handle will fit.

We are on the Same Page just a different Paragraph....lol
Can you get the Measurements from Mike of the Hole in the Newell Handle and post them .

RowdyW

Check Mike's post on page 5, reply #60 & 61.

Wompus Cat

Yep I got it BUT I think you will need to do some filing to make the Newell Handle fit  about .0025 long and .0075 width .
No Biggy but I don't think it will just fall on . Wish I had one here to check .

RowdyW

I ordered a Newell ss handle arm from Alan. I'll let you know how it fits when it gets here.

PacRat

I tried both a Newell and Alan T's ss Newell handle and they both fit nicely without alteration. Either handle fits without removing the clip from the end of the gear sleeve.

The Boss' ss Newell handle

A Newell 500 Series handle

-Mike

Wompus Cat

Don't need no stinking Calipers !
Seeing is Believing  ;D ;D
The Boss will have another order ;D
Thanks Mike!

RowdyW

The Boss is donating a ss arm to me for the EMT H 346 Improvement Project. Thanks again Alan. My next step is to replace the plastic star. I've first got to figure out what the thread size is. Maybe I can drill out & rethread an existing star.

Wompus Cat

Quote from: RowdyW on July 05, 2021, 01:57:43 PM
The Boss is donating a ss arm to me for the EMT H 346 Improvement Project. Thanks again Alan. My next step is to replace the plastic star. I've first got to figure out what the thread size is. Maybe I can drill out & re- thread an existing star.

I have no less than 30 different thread pitch gauges AMS,Whitworth ,Brit Standard ,French Standard,German Metric,Pipe Thread,Japanese Industrial Standard and some odd ones and have not found a match yet .
Seems some of the Chinese Pitches are a Metric but at a weird angle .
So my official observation is
I DUNNO!!

RowdyW

I'm not familiar with metric threads. How do you count the threads, by mm, cm, or what? Any way you can get a reading on the thread on the sleeve?

PacRat

I can't answer on the metric threads but I'm curious as to the design parameters of this reel. It's almost as if it was designed to be a bastard with zero interchangeability with Newell parts. Every time I look at it I run into another road-block and I can't decide if it's intentional or just ignorance of the potential marketability of this reel.

Take the drag star for instance; not compatible with Newell or Penn. One would think you could just swap in a Newell gear sleeve and then Newell and after-market drag stars will fit, problem solved. I haven't tried this yet but I will wager that the bridge stud is either the wrong length, wrong diameter, or both.

I don't like top bars and I thought about eliminating it but; you can't use the Newell blind nuts because the threads are different. You might be able to use the blind nut and screws from a Newell but there are plastic frame tabs involved also so the top bar will remain. I'm also not comfortable with eliminating the bar without a Tib frame but this is a no-go also.

My original intent with the purchase was just to satisfy my curiosity (hoping that many parts would exchange with Newell. As I'm seeing it so far; interchangeability will be limited handles, gear sleeve washers, possibly the shift lever (400 and 500 Series only). So a couple of the parts would be a substitute but I was hoping for readily available parts for some of my Newells in the future but not the other way around.

I really think the designers missed the boat by not building something similar to the 200 or 300 series first. It just seems like a more useful size (for the west coast anyway).

-Mike

Wompus Cat

Quote from: RowdyW on July 05, 2021, 07:31:05 PM
I'm not familiar with metric threads. How do you count the threads, by mm, cm, or what? Any way you can get a reading on the thread on the sleeve?

Will take a Dowell rod and run it through the Star and get an imprint off it and go from there .

Threads are Definitely Fine.

You will need to talk to someone that runs a screw Machine to get # of threads on a given length of different thread pitches . All I know is there are 40 threads per inch on  an a  U.S. Standard Starett Hand Held Micrometer.

And 20 threads per cm on Metric Micrometers.

rule of thumb  is 1 inch is equal to about 25 mm

RowdyW

Wouldn't it just be easier & more accurate to remove the sleeve and use that for measurements?

PacRat

A Cortez Newell gear sleeve might be an 'almost drop-in' solution.  The CC 10-tooth gear sleeve will fit the EMT bridge and will just be slightly short. A brass shim washer or delrin washer under the gear sleeve will likely line every thing up nicely. But that will not be mission accomplished because you will still need to ream or slightly relieve the main gear and triple thruster assembly as they are slightly tighter than the CC gear sleeve OD. You might also be able to just swap in a Newell main and pinion at this point but if one is going to do all that, why not just start out with a genuine Newell? The gear sleeve swap will save you the hassle of re-threading a different drag star. With that said, the EMT plastic drag star looks like it has a pretty good insert that seems pretty secure. I would only be concerned with breaking a point off the drag star but that's unlikely.

The CC gear sleeve looks like it will play well with the EMT AR dog but the opposite is not the case. If a EMT gear sleeve was used in a Newell the AR dog will need to be re-worked. The AR ratchet on a Newell or CC gear sleeve is a much smaller diameter than the EMT.

The bridges are not interchangeable due to C-C on the mounting holes (plate diameters are different too). The C-C from the pinion center to the Center of the gear sleeve post are very close and may actually be close enough to exchange gears but I'm not going down that rabbit-hole.

-Mike