EatMyTackle H346

Started by PacRat, June 16, 2021, 10:50:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RowdyW

That gives us plenty to kick around for now. The only thing is I can't see dumping much money into this reel. I might as well buy a used Newell then. I looking to make this a make it myself mostly project & try to modify spare parts from other reels if possible. Like when somebody replaces their sleeve with a CC sleeve & they will part with a good used sleeve. Right now I think it's time to take them to the water (fresh or salt) & see how they hold up.

Wompus Cat

Quote from: RowdyW on July 05, 2021, 09:51:04 PM
Wouldn't it just be easier & more accurate to remove the sleeve and use that for measurements?

Sure but I got mine all together with my mods and full of line,Teds Ergonomic Soft Extra long Handle and mounted on an old Daiwa 10 Ft Rod with the Proper size Hoods and no Filing of the Foot and  gonna do  some fishing if it EVER STOPS RAINING here ...lol
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

philaroman

is that the good ole' orange-brown Daiwa glass Surf?

Wompus Cat

Quote from: philaroman on July 06, 2021, 12:20:10 AM
is that the good ole' orange-brown Daiwa glass Surf?

Yepper Daiwa 10Foot #3229

philaroman

sweet...  tried & liked short UL -- sorta'  "econo-Fenwicky"  ;D

PacRat

I've got to say that the customer service at EMT has been very easy to deal with. My reel arrived with 20 lb mono on it. I had ordered it with 30 lb so it wouldn't eat line. When I was testing the drag, the line kept breaking at 20 lbs. Then the reel eventually ate the line so I got out the calipers and measured it. It was in fact 20 lb so I contacted EMT customer service and not only did they send me line...it was 80 lb braid. I'm very happy with their customer service.

The missing washers are not in stock right now so I'll have to wait a couple of weeks for those. The reel seems to function okay without the washers but it will likely need them as the reel breaks in. One of the missing washers is the keyed washer that sits on top of the belleville washers. I could see the possibility of running out off drag adjustment as the brake shoes wear in and/or the bellevilles flatten out a bit.

-Mike

RowdyW

I was ready to contact EMT again for the washers. I'm glad that you let me  know that they are not in stock yet. When they sent my reel it had no line on it. I contacted them and they sent me a spool of blue 80# braid, 2 coolies, & a couple of girlie decals.  ;D They never told me that they didn't have the washers. I should be getting the handle arm Sat. It's  shiny ss so I am going to paint it semi gloss black to match the stand I painted. I wound up spooling it with my line, 80# braid & a top shot ( about 1/3 of the spool) of 30# Berkley Solar Green.  I'll just save the EMT braid for another time.

Wompus Cat

ATTENTION 
Mr.President and Mr. Vice President of the   CCRC  Division of  PFRAPGPC  ;D

The washers that  are missing go between the Handle and Star and Keep Tension on the Star to help keep it from backing off .You can use some used Penn Drag washers to put in there probably. The lack of these will not affect the drag just the Tension . I don't like the Plastic spacer though that pushes on the Drag Stack so am making one out of Metal when I  get time .

RowdyW

I'm going to make my spacer after I get the correct washers. Then I'll know if I should lengthen or shorten the spacer for a custom fit.

PacRat

I'm missing items 13 and 6. Item 6 is the keyed washer that goes on top of the bellevilles and under the spacer sleeve. It works without it but I may run out of travel on the drag star as the brake shoes wear in and the bellevilles flatten out a little. In a pinch I can put just about any washer in there but the design calls for a keyed washer. The washer between the star and handle (Item 6) doesn't concern me so much because my drag star is a bit sticky and won't move unless I turn it. I put grease on the gear sleeve and this is helping the threads to smooth out a bit.

RowdyW

I just measured the spacer sleeve in the H346, length .284", diameter .576", ID .394" . The spacer sleeve from a 112H, 500, etc. is.500" long or less, .525" dia., ID .404".  We might be able to rework the length & make it work. We all should have some of them in our spare parts stash. If it works I have a small lathe that I can use to shorten them. If either one of you doesn't have a way to shorten them I can do it for you & mail them out. Let's see if my lathe can grip something that short.

Wompus Cat

I probably could have got by with the Rough threads to make the Star Harder to Turn but I cleaned all the threads with my Jewelers File then polished them off with some valve lapping compound so the star Free-spools pretty all the way from end to end ...lol
I have an extra set of these if you need them Mike.  Can't believe your reel works right with out the Tapered shim  p/m me your addy.

PacRat

So is that Item 6 (101-205 Washer t0.8) on top? I would have never guessed because the schematic makes it look like a flat-washer.
I'm also curious about Item 13 (keyed washer). I thought I might have something similar in my Newell stash but I didn't. Maybe I need to dig a little deeper?
-Mike

Wompus Cat

Here is the #'s and descrip from list

PacRat

You were missing two completely different washers than me. I imagine your thruster drag didn't work at all without the beveled washer (or 'forced tight ring'). Your handle must have been wobbly as hell too.

At least mine worked right out of the box. I'm just concerned that it might stop working.

I need to go back and see which washers Rudy is missing.

-Mike