Removing pins from spool shafts with heat...

Started by bsumoba, January 19, 2012, 10:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bsumoba

just curious...if it seems that custom pliers, or other devices cannot remove the pins from the shaft, can you use heat on the shaft to remove the pins? will this affect the integrity or strength of the spool? the theory is that you heat it up just enough to expand the shaft, then take out the pin.

Bryan Young

You should be fine.  Make sure that you allow the shaft to cool slowly and you don't attempt to pull the pin when it's hot.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

if you got it too hot, i would worry about damage to the line if you have any on the spool. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Nessie Hunter

Just a little heating & cooling will many times break the rust/corrosion bond & allow the Pin to come out.. 
I would worry about "to much" heat & changing the Temper of the metal???
Or damaging any of the Spool Assembly.
Excessive heat will also cause metal to bend, not good for a spool shaft..
just use good judgment on How Much heat!!    ;D

Make sure the Pin is not tapered, it will never come out if your pushing it the wrong direction...

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Snagged2

Might try a soldering iron,,as a heat source,,  also, use some corrosion solvent,, while doing it..

Also, another method, is to use an "automatic" centerpunch.. however, need to use very carefully so as not to distort the pin,,ie swell the end,, I've used them to "walk" a stubborn pin out ...

redsetta

x2 on Greg's comment - that's what I do...
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer