TLD 5 & 10 parts vs CS

Started by mattyoga, January 23, 2012, 05:39:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattyoga

I've got a TLD 5 and TLD 10 along with some charter specials (1000 and 2000's).  I'm wondering if its still possible to get all the parts needed to repair the TLD 5 and 10's if something fails on them?   If not I'm thinking of getting rid of the 5 and 10's and just keeping the charter specials. 

I prefer a reel with a non level wind, and have in fact removed the nylon level wind cog, and level wind line guide from the charter specials to make it levelwindless.  Does anyone know if this causes any issues mechanically?

Thanks

Matt

alantani

i have some parts, and many others are interchangeable with the tld 15.  also, i have a frame for a charter special to make it topless. 

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=501.0
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

mattyoga

Thanks Alan. 

Do you think there is any significant difference in strength/reliability between the TLD5 and CS1000 or TLD10 and CS2000 (other than the level wind?). 

Is the main benefit of the topless frame just for thumb control while casting?  Wouldn't be casting with these reels, hence I wondered whether just removing the nylon cog and levelwind guide would cause any other structural issues - I can't see how.

Cheers
Matt

7seasand7

Quote from: mattyoga on January 23, 2012, 08:21:35 AM
Thanks Alan. 

Do you think there is any significant difference in strength/reliability between the TLD5 and CS1000 or TLD10 and CS2000 (other than the level wind?). 

Is the main benefit of the topless frame just for thumb control while casting?  Wouldn't be casting with these reels, hence I wondered whether just removing the nylon cog and levelwind guide would cause any other structural issues - I can't see how.

Cheers
Matt

Alan,
Can you shine the light on this please? I am curious too.
Thanks,
Val