5000c questions from an absolute noob

Started by JasonGotaProblem, October 22, 2021, 03:54:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tincanary

Quote from: oc1 on October 29, 2021, 05:32:42 AM
What is the lightest whiffle spool for a 5000C?  Asking for both Jason and myself.

So, when it comes to casting light baits the controlling factors are spool weight, bearings, braking and levelwind.  Modern low-pros come with light spool, good bearings, magnetic and centrifugal breaking, and disengaging levelwind.  A 5000 can accommodate upgraded bearings, static magnets and levlwind removed.  The spool weight is the problem and might be insurmountable simply because of the large diameter.  So, is it impossible to modify a 5000 into a BFS reel?

For me, the fundamental problem with a 5000 is the size.   They are too tall to comfortably palmed.  To be honest, even the smaller ambassadeurs round reels are too large as well.  They seem to waste too much space under the hood,  The Calcutta 50 is a round reel, but very compact.

There was only one company producing finesse spools for the classic 5000 size, Avail out of Japan.  They stopped offering the spools a few years back due to lack of demand.  Their offerings now are centered around the 1500C/2500C as well as various Shimano models such as the Calcutta and Aldebaran.  In my opinion, the 5000 is a poor platform for BFS due to the size.  Even with a whiffle spool, the spool is still large to the point it can be problematic in throwing lighter baits.  The synchronized level wind also presents a problem since it's one more component to contend with.  While the level wind can be dealt with on the smaller models, they are still not as capable as a reel with a disengaging level wind.  In essence, the smaller the platform, the better.  Most of the 100 size and smaller low profile reels make the best candidates for a BFS conversion.  For somebody wanting to get their feet wet, the Revo X/Max 3 reels from Abu and the Fuego CT from Daiwa are the best for conversion.  They have good strong magnetic brakes, palm nice, and are reasonably light.  There is also a seemingly dizzying array of spools available for them.

The very first one I did was a Fuego CT a couple of years ago.  Got the reel new on eBay for $60 and the Ray's Studio micro cast spool set me back about another $30.

Breadfan

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on October 23, 2021, 03:11:02 AM

I've become spoiled. I can't find a baitcaster rod that doesn't feel like garbage for under like $100. And I'm not gonna invest in something I may not end up using a lot. So I'm building my own for under $50 with all fuji hardware. I think i have a problem. I blame this site.

One thing leads to another. I got the rod building bug and I've turned it into a small business so it can pay for my habit. I'm a self admitted user and I can't stop. This site is my group therapy!

Walleye Guy

Wow, this is a very interesting post and I love all the technical info. 

tincanary, I have an old Shimano Bantam Black Magnum baitcaster that I purchased new around 1988.  Would that be a good candidate for throwing smaller lures?  Say, 1/4 ounce or lighter?  Are BFS parts offered for it?  I haven't used it in a long time and truth be told it took a back seat after I purchased my 4600C3 new in 1991.  I've been in rehab ever since. 

tincanary

Quote from: Walleye Guy on October 29, 2021, 02:04:50 PM
Wow, this is a very interesting post and I love all the technical info. 

tincanary, I have an old Shimano Bantam Black Magnum baitcaster that I purchased new around 1988.  Would that be a good candidate for throwing smaller lures?  Say, 1/4 ounce or lighter?  Are BFS parts offered for it?  I haven't used it in a long time and truth be told it took a back seat after I purchased my 4600C3 new in 1991.  I've been in rehab ever since. 

I don't believe there are any available for the original Bantams made in the 80s.  The only vintage reels I know for sure that have BFS spools available are the Abu 1500C/2500C and the Daiwa Millionaire GS1000C/GS2000C.  Most everything out there now is made for the newer low profile reels, and some of the round reels like the Calcutta 100, Japanese variant of the Daiwa Millionaire, and the Ultracast variants of the Ambassadeur. 

JasonGotaProblem

I picked up a NIB lefty bmax3 for next to nothing locally, and just ordered the spool from the eBay link posted before. I went for gold. A handle is easy enough to change, if I can get a different spool knob I can go non - red. Do ones from other models fit?
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

tincanary

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on October 31, 2021, 07:28:01 PM
I picked up a NIB lefty bmax3 for next to nothing locally, and just ordered the spool from the eBay link posted before. I went for gold. A handle is easy enough to change, if I can get a different spool knob I can go non - red. Do ones from other models fit?

The tension knob from the Pro Max 3 will fit.  They're the same reel with minor differences.  It has gold trim which would match nice with your spool.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284421841355

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: tincanary on October 31, 2021, 07:42:17 PM
Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on October 31, 2021, 07:28:01 PM

The tension knob from the Pro Max 3 will fit.  They're the same reel with minor differences.  It has gold trim which would match nice with your spool.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284421841355
Thanks. I ordered that and a handle with some blue details. I've got a pile of rolls of blue braid lying around that I picked up cheap, and red details on a spool are just about the only thing it wouldn't match with. I'll be using mono for a bit before that til I get the hang of it, but I was also trying to decide how to decorate the baitcast rod I'm building, and red kinda locks you in to red.

tincanary

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on November 01, 2021, 12:53:16 PM

Thanks. I ordered that and a handle with some blue details. I've got a pile of rolls of blue braid lying around that I picked up cheap, and red details on a spool are just about the only thing it wouldn't match with. I'll be using mono for a bit before that til I get the hang of it, but I was also trying to decide how to decorate the baitcast rod I'm building, and red kinda locks you in to red.

Once you're out on the water, you'll find that casting these BFS reels is a little different than bigger reels.  To start, wind your bait as close to the tip as possible.  This lets the tip load better with lighter offerings.  Second, learn to cast with your wrist and not your whole arm.  It can be a rough transition for somebody that has used spinners most of their lives, I've been there.  Lastly, don't go swinging for the fences.  Those lighter lures aren't going to be able to attain the distance of larger offerings.  Most of your casts are going to be inside of 30yd or so, most likely even less.  I tell others to picture it like a golf swing, follow through.  Once you've become accustomed to the mechanics, then you can play around and develop your own technique.  When first starting out, start out with the brake turned up and slowly back it off as you get comfortable.  If you go on YouTube and look up Hobie Wan Kenobi, he has some very good videos showing how to cast BFS gear.

JasonGotaProblem

I feel like this thread is due for an update. I've tried fishing this reel a few times, and knock on wood I haven't had a backlash since I figured out that using the spool control knob is generally a good idea, and casting with an entirely unrestrained spool... Maybe less so.

It's beginning to become muscle memory, and less awkward, just like everyone said it would.

But I've come to the conclusion that I really do hate mono. A combination of this things outrageously slow retrieve (16" per turn claimed, seems like less) and the corkscrew nature of how mono lays if the lure isn't crazy heavy, makes trying to jig the lure in any familiar or successful way seem pretty impossible. And maybe it would be better with a heavier lure, but that's not really how I fish. Over about a quarter ounce I'm casting 10# mono almost as far as my spinners can throw 10# braid. So that doesn't suck, but this rod also has way more backbone so there's no direct comparison.

And I've been getting hits, but again the corkscrew nature of mono combined with stretchiness means I'm not seeing successful hook set. Ive gotten a few small bass within 5' of shore, but nothing landed yet.

So i ordered some 40# x8 jbraid to introduce at least one element of familiarity to the equation, and it just arrived today. Its a 300m spool but I'm hesitant to use more than 100yds at a time, in case of terrible backlashes I won't lose it all.

Also like a moron I put on a handle without a counterweight, and have discovered that means if the handle is in certain positions, it'll flip over on the cast, stopping the spool (and the cast). I had a half oz lure come back and whack me on the 2nd knuckle of my index finger 2 weeks ago, and that spot is still tender. I'll likely swap the handle soon, once was enough.

mo65

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on November 29, 2021, 06:54:46 PM
Also like a moron I put on a handle without a counterweight, and have discovered that means if the handle is in certain positions, it'll flip over on the cast, stopping the spool (and the cast). I had a half oz lure come back and whack me on the 2nd knuckle of my index finger 2 weeks ago, and that spot is still tender. I'll likely swap the handle soon, once was enough.

I hear ya brother...I learned about the non-counterweighted handles also! I only left them on catfishing reels...they are a hassle on a bass fishing reel. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Gfish

The 5000C, is that the one with ball-bearings?
I have a bunch of parts for the 5000(?). Unknown, which variants, but if Jason or anyone else needs any, lemme know. I have a shelfie 5000(early 60's) and a '73–5000 I use, with no need for parts so-far. The 3 tubes came with a nice 209 in the box as well as some other parts.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

oc1

You have a good stash of brake blocks.  Those pesky things will jump off on the floor at every opportunity.  Replacements aren't super expensive, but on a per-ounce basis they are probably more valuable than gold.

Walleye Guy

Gfish, I'd be interested in buying those tubes of spare parts if you're looking to sell them.  I have a few nice reels that I'm trying to assemble with original leather cases and it would be great to have all the extras.

JasonGotaProblem

Figured I'd been casting without issue for long enough to try braid. First cast caught the branch above me. That was quick. Thankfully I also brought a spinner, so I could throw a few more casts before they came and told me I wasn't allowed to fish there. And I am still yet to land my first fish on a sideways spool.

DougK

sheesh Jason.. not an auspicious beginning for braid.. it can only get better ;-)

the thing to know about braid, is it's all different.. 4 strand, 8, 9, soft, coated, hard, and on and on. So if you don't like the braid you have, try another of the hundreds of different types. Here's 71 pages and growing, of braid discussion..

currently my baitcasting braid favorite is Kawa PE 0.6, an Aliexpress brand. It's a little stiffer, handles well and doesn't tangle easily. Favorite spin braid is Gliss.
Next thing I'm trying is Berkley X9, based on tincanary's recommendation and a few others on the thread mentioned above.

went out for the last canoe of the season, taking a conventional outfit for walleye and a BFS one for  the trout. Briefly hooked then lost two small trout on the walleye outfit, and a 23" walleye on the BFS..