5000c questions from an absolute noob

Started by JasonGotaProblem, October 22, 2021, 03:54:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

I was given a box of baitcasters by a wonderful ohana member (Keith) to play with, since I've never fished with anything other than spinners. After playing with them a bit dry, the one that seems to resonate with me most is the Abu 5000C (3 screw sideplates with serial# suggesting '74 vintage).

And maybe the problem is my questions are too basic and thats why I can't find a good answer, but that doesn't get me any closer to a plan of action.

I have no basis for comparison, what kind of fishing should I be using this for? Now I'm not a complete moron, I can gather its neither a crappie nor a tuna reel, but beyond that I cant figure out how to narrow it down further. Should i be using this in lakes for bass, nearshore for tarpon etc? I have no idea.

What size braid should I put on this thing?
What size lures should i plan on throwing with it?
How heavy duty of a rod should I pair it with?

The current newest thread in this subforum before this one posts is about an Abu 5000 and casting weight, and i got more info from that than i had from any previous source, but im still pretty far away from feeling "informed."

I hate outsourcing my research but I've been looking on and off for the past 2 weeks and haven't found any answers. Google searching is worthless these days unless what you're searching for aligns with what they're being paid to advertise, and nobody is paying them to advertise info about a 45 yr old reel.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Hardy Boy

I have fished for steelhead and coho with them in small rivers. Used 12 lb mono and was generally float fishing with jigs or yarn. Would also throw spinners and spoons 1/4 to 1/2 oz. Used on a lighter 8.5 foot casting rod. Anything you would want to cast for and catch with 10 or 12 lb mono would be the target (bass, smaller inshore species). Use a rod suitable for the line and lures. They do not have robust gears or high drag capability. Have fun. Just my experience.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

thorhammer

One of the best reels ever made. As Todd said, I spool with 12 or 14 mono, or you could go with 30 braid and topshot. I'd suggest mono til you get the hang. LMB, snook, redfish, pompano, Spanish, flounder, trout, peacock bass....good on everything from 6' to 11' light surf rods. TONS of upgrade options to tinker with. Or send it to Bob :)

I only have about forty.

John

Donnyboat

Hi Jason, I brought one from Alan a few years back, it did not look like the strongest reel when I received it, but I thought maybe I could try & catch a western Australian dhu fish with it, then place it into my display cabinet, I was thinking 4 to 6 kg fish, it had 40Kg braid on it. about 140 M,
     Well I hooked a 15Kg shark, I was using a rod that I had broken the tip & one runner of off, & bodgeed it up to use.
     the shark almost spooled it, three time, then I started to get some line back, By the time I brought it to the boat, my thumb was numb, with the original handle, anyway we managed to get it into the boat, so they are quite a strong little reel, & it is still working good as new, it has CF drag washers, & I place a larger handle on it,
so you should have fun with yours, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

PacRat

I always considered these to be very nice bass reels in the salt. I use them from 10 to 20 lb mono. They will cast 1/2 oz a mile and can drag a calico bass out of the kelp if you don't let them get wrapped. I also used them for peacock bass in Venezuela with 20 and 25 lb mono. I've pushed them in southern California and have landed white sea bass and yellowtail on them but don't recommend it at all. Keep your quarry under 12 lbs and you will be fine. These are great reels to hone your casting skills.

Mike

oc1

Fifty years ago they were popular in the Gulf for light tackle casting at flotsam for mahi mahi = dorado = dolphin fish.  There is not enough drag and spool capacity to prevent being spooled by a large king mackerel or tarpon, but the gear train will withstand the pressure.

handi2

I put in Dawns ground flat metal washers and Carbontex drags. It has the 3 stack in this reel. The top metal washer is totally flat with a shim on top to add the height back to normal.

We use them here in the saltwater for Sea Trout and Redfish.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

thorhammer

I have a buddy that has a 5500C3CT Mag Elite fully tricked for throwing Spanish metal into low orbit. Even a stock one with a little tuning will launch. I've seen cobia 25-30lbs caught off the pier that ate a Gotcha plug by accident. I wouldn't recco that as my go-to cobe, reel but it's a testament. And......you can always get parts....

Donnyboat

You could get lots more braid on the 5000C if you used 16 strand braid, with a short top shot, I cut a groove in the thumb free spool leaver, so when you press it in, it locks itself into place, the it wont jump, out of free spool when your casting, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Swami805

Great little reels, easy to work on, lots of parts available stock or mod, hard to go wrong. One reel that's stood the test of time.
I used to do shallow water rockfish tournaments out of San Simeon Ca.  Bring an empty reel, everyone filled them up from a bulk spool of 12lb mono, jigs only, no bait. 5000 or 5500 was the reel of choice, Catch some crazy big ling cod and rockfish out of a very rocky snag filled bottom.
I still use a 5500 from time to time, about 30 years old and still works like a charm
Do what you can with that you have where you are

JasonGotaProblem

Guys thank you so much, I feel like I am far better prepared.  I'm looking forward to playing with this. And yeah I think I'm gonna load it up with mono first as I learn how to use the thing. I don't wanna waste the braid on some noob tangles.

I've become spoiled. I can't find a baitcaster rod that doesn't feel like garbage for under like $100. And I'm not gonna invest in something I may not end up using a lot. So I'm building my own for under $50 with all fuji hardware. I think i have a problem. I blame this site.

Also anyone got any links for currently available mods for this reel?

oc1

Where's Tincannery and Beach Bob when you need them?  Modifying Ambassadeurs is a rabbit hole you may never climb out of.

JasonGotaProblem

Well at the age of 35 I can now finally say I have thrown a few casts on a baitcaster. In the street in front of my house like a weirdo. But I'm proud to say I only rat nested the first 3.

tincanary

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on October 23, 2021, 03:11:02 AM
Also anyone got any links for currently available mods for this reel?

Carbontex drag, deep clean the spool bearings and lube with TSI 321, polish the brake ring, spool shaft ends, idler gear post, pawl, worm bushing, and insides of the line guide.  Lube all of those (except the brake ring) with TSI.  She will sing brother.  Pay no attention to the YouTubers and their crazy free spool.  Most of those people have spent quite a bit on bearings to do such a thing, when in reality you just need a little elbow grease.  You'll get 80% to 90% the performance of bearings in every conceivable place with a Dremel and some blue jeweler's rouge.  You can also take the lateral slop out of the handle by adding a shim on top of the driveshaft before you install the E-clip.

Here's my throw-together 4500, nothing exotic.  Two factory spool bearings of unknown age, Carbontex drag, and all of the above mentioned friction points polished.  This is with no brake blocks installed.

thorhammer

Everyone is different but for regular plug casting, I fnd these balance for me best on two-hand 7 or 7'6 rods- I usually fish open water and prefer distance over surgical flips in trees. Using this with a zara super spook with the hooks off is a good way to educate your thumb get to smaler baits. These reels have good sized capacity so the larger spool makes it unwieldy throwing much below 3/8 with a wond in your face (see how Steve, OC1, does everything possible to get light and small to throw very light weights on a thumburner).