You know you're a Reel-Head when......

Started by Caranx, March 08, 2012, 08:43:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caranx

Okay, I'll start off with a couple:

1) Your favorite tool is an Alan Tani handle nut wrench, and you inscribe/engrave your name on it.
2) You build your own grease gun like Alan's.

Okay, one more
3) Your wash basin has a drain screen to catch the little parts from going down the drain.

I'll put one up for Alan:
You experiment with a dishwasher to clean an old cruddy reel!!!

I can't wait to hear what you all have to say!

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

maybe you can also add these 2;

1. you are a member of this site very wonderful site

2. you constantly log in to this site everyday.

tight lines...

Keta

Purchasing a reel just to tear it apart and see how it's put together. 

Taking apart several reels and seeing what parts are interchangeable, even between different manufactures.  You can get in trouble fast doing this though.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Nuvole

Quote from: Keta on March 08, 2012, 02:33:23 PM
Taking apart several reels and seeing what parts are interchangeable, even between different manufactures.  You can get in trouble fast doing this though.

x1

joel8080

When you replace your Wedding Picture on the dresser with a  framed Penn reel poster.
Oceanside,California

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Keta on March 08, 2012, 02:33:23 PM
Purchasing a reel just to tear it apart and see how it's put together. 

Or buying a reel just because you're going through withdrawals cuz you haven't serviced a reel in a while. ;D
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Makule

The guys who do the last two have a very severe case.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Bill B

You have more reels in the gun safe than guns...

When you are at the shooting range you talk about fishing...

You hide your Penn Catalog next to the Victoria Secret's Catalog...

You plan your next business trip around when the next season opens...

You get caught trying to hide your last reel purchase from your wife...
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Alto Mare

You know you're a reel-head when you're doing a job estimate and end up with a sketch of a custom reel that you would like to build :-\.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Snagged2

You put more into a reel,, than the owner is willing to pay..

You observe a sick reel your buddy is using on a trip, and,try and figure out how you can convince him to let you take it apart on the boat..

After, you have all your own reels at "perfect",,, you keep messing with them...

broadway

When your girlfriend asks how the guys on Alan Tani are
When your mother asks if Alan Tani.com sells gift certificates for my birthday
When you sit in a lawyers office all day thinking about how to maximize a reel's capabilities when you really have a lot at stake and should be listening...ooops! 

The list could go on, but all of these things happened this week to me :o

Thanks for a fun topic!
Dom

wallacewt

you know your a reel head when you start giving advice,dunno what your talkin about to guys that do

BMITCH

When you start to quote job cost higher to afford that reel and or parts on eBay that you MUST have!!
luck is the residue of design.

seaeagle2

when you look at this website several times a day, and check ebay every day for frame kits, high speed gears, etc for reels that are going to be used basically three days a year for the annual halibut fishing trip.
"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

wascallywabit

Wow!!! I'm sicker than I thought. :o  If these are all symptoms then I must have a bad case. I already have the wrench, the grease gun, spend more money on parts and upgrades than the reels are worth, and when the wife just picked up the UPS delivery yesterday of two new reels I had just purchased, I had to tell her that they were just more reel parts. ;) And the scary part is I've been at this for less than a year. Not sure if I'll find a cure before I run out of money!

Oh, and your hands constantly smell like reel grease.