Penn 113H spool removal

Started by oregonrafter, April 28, 2012, 08:01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broadway

Whoa! I have to agree with Sal... that reel needs a resting place. Way too much work is involved to possibly revive her  :-\
Dom

Bryan Young

I'll also have to agree with Sal unless you have access to a bunch of spare parts... You will probably need a new spool since the shaft looks too far gone that even if you sanded it, to get it where there's no rust, the shaft OD would be greatly reduced.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Irish Jigger

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 29, 2012, 02:00:40 AM
That reel appears to be too far gone. I would split the pinion with vise grips and toss everything but the spool and plates. from the looks of your picture, the spool needs lots of sanding , you moght have to toss it out also. You could find a reel in fair condition for aroud $40, I just don't believe that bringing  this one back to life is worth the effort. I'm surpriced, don't usually see many 113H's in that condition.

x2. :'(

Keta

I have never met oregonrafter but know him from another board, he has always been a good person and willing to help when he can.

This is Mikes first attempt at reel repair, he has a bad and somewhat spendy part to deal with (welcome to our world Mike) and I feel somewhat responsible about him starting down the dark path of home reel repair/modification.

So....if anyone has a usable 113H spool ( ;D preferably a NIB Newell ;D ) that they will donate to Mike's first reel project I'll give them 10 SS anti reverse dogs....113H or 114H, mix or match.  The SS dogs sell for $3.00 each.

I'll look for a useable main gear to donate but I know I don't have pinion gears for a 113H.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Lee, any friend of yours is a friend of mine, I'm going to try to help oregonrafter. You can hold on to the dogs, you already do plenty for me.
Oregonrafter, send me a PM with your address...if you're ok with it. Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

oregonrafter

Wow. I feel all warm and fuzzy right now.  ;D
Before anything, let me see if I can work some magic on this stuff. It's soaking in solvent right now.
I'll keep you posted...

Keta

The areas on the spool shaft "protected" by the gear and bearing shouldn't be too badly pited but you should take Sal up on the offer, your reel will be much better even if it isn't a NIB Newell spool.  Pitting under the gear can cause freespool and disengagement problems.  FYI, iron oxide is 10 times the volume of iron so rusted things often look far worse than they are.

I like ATF/Acetone for penitrating oil, 50/50 works for me.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ken_D

Hello. I have no hands-on experience with this reel, but if you waste the bearing a la Tani style (crush with vise-grips and carefully remove the inner race with a dremel) you should be able to get more panther pee
to soak into the join between the pinion and the axle.

Then you could use the dremel wire wheel to remove the rust scale on said stub, in preparation for a try
in a non-destructive manner, and that is: use the two fully threaded bridge screws, placed in the two holes beside the axle, and slowly and incrementally screwed down on the spool equal and opposite to see if this much corrosion can be displaced.

I've had great luck doing this on the 330's, but they were not crudded up as severe as yours. Failing that, you can always use the dremel, and cut the pinion in two, to get it gone.

If this is useful, kewl. If not, well, then it was a good shot. 8)

Dominick

Oregonrafter:  At the risk of receiving slings and arrows from my fellow Tani-ites I would not destroy the pinion. I must respectively disagree.  I have had success after soaking by grasping the pinion wrapped in a thick rag, grasped with a pair of channel locks and turning the spool to break it away fron the spool spindle. You have nothing to lose at this point.  Go for it.  After you get the pinion loose spin the spool spindle in a Scotch Pad to smoothe out the pits.  you should be able to save everything but the bearing.  The eccentric jack can be straightened. 
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

joel8080

LEE

I wish Alan had a Man of the year award so I could nominate you for it, you are the MAN.

Joel
Oceanside,California

Keta

You embarrass this crippled old millwright/ignorant sheep farmer.

Mark Twain

broadway

Dominick,
     I disagree with the nothing to lose theory... if you torque the pinion incorrectly you can bend the spindle just enough to make it garbage.  I did just that on a spool off of a black side plated 114h (I believe Penn only made it for 2 years). 
Oregonafter,
     You can buy a used Penn 113h off ebay for about $40-$50 in good condition... It's not worth the time, rags, cleaning solvents, dried cuticles, frustration, or anything else to rebuild that baby.  Take off what you can salvage and use them for spares.  Just my opinion, of course!  :o
Good luck with it,
Dom

Ps- Sal, Lee, Rob, Dominick, Justin, and the list goes on, are big time contributors to this site who lead by example.  Like Sal said, "any friend of Lee's is a friend of mine" ...If you decide to bring her back to life let me know if you need a specific part and I'll get it to ya.

oregonrafter

Here's where I am, guys: It's been soaking in some penetrant for 24 hours, but I haven't had time to work on it. At this point, I can't just give up, because if I do, I'm wasting a good opportunity to learn. I don't really care that much about this reel... I surely can afford to buy another one, and this is one of five 113H's that I already own.

Here's what I've learned so far: A group of people on the internet can be kind and generous. I'm pretty blown-away at how well I'm being received, even though I'm a complete novice. It has also been reaffirmed to me that people can disagree and still be respectful of one-another. This means more to me than a thousand reels, brothers, and my virtual hat is tipped to you. I didn't expect a fine lesson in humanity, but it's a very nice bonus. 

I'm going to stick with this project, whether it becomes part of my recycling bin contents, or a great reel clamped to my albacore rod.

Thanks (reely). -Mike

Bryan Young

Love your tanacity.  Well, if this is the way you wanna rock...Let' do it...  Just crack that bearing off.  If you can lathe the spool, grind down the inner race.  I also use a drill press when a lathe is not available.  If not, then step it down to a portable drill.  That way you can grind down a little at a time until it comes off.  I don't like dremel cutoff wheels because slip can damage the spindle.  Good luck and let us know as it goes along.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

broadway

You're 100 percent right... Don't give up on it.... Use it as a learning tool. If you get that reel back up and going you will have resurrected a reel from the dead... Quite an accomplishment for someone new to this game. By the Way, Welcome aboard!
Dom