Penn 113H spool removal

Started by oregonrafter, April 28, 2012, 08:01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oregonrafter

This is my first reel rebuild, and my first post on this website.

I'm disassembling a Penn 113H, and I'm having trouble removing the spool. I've removed the left side plate and the frame posts, the handle and old drag washers. The right side assembly is still attached to the spool. I've looked everywhere, and I can't find any special instructions of how to remove the spool. Aside from pulling with brute force and potentially damaging something, is there an easy way to separate the spool from the right side (handle side) of the assembly? Am I missing something obvious? Thanks for your help.
-Mike

Bryan Young

Mike, try unscrewing the right bearing cup first.  Maybe this will dislodge the bearing.  If you can get the bearing cup off and the bearing is still stuck on the spool, remove the 4 bridge plate screws then the whole assembly will release from the right side plate giving you a better angle to get the bearing out.  If it's not the bearing then it's the pinion bearing.  In both cases you can stick 2 screw drivers 180 deg. from each other and twist in opposite directions.

Let us know how gos it.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

oregonrafter

Bryan, I can't get the bearing cup off. It's too flush with the bridge plate to get ahold-of. I followed your advice (well, sort of), and removed the 4 bridge plate screws. The spool is now starting to separate from the bridge assembly, but it feels like parts are still connected and flexing when I try to pull it apart. I don't want to bend or break anything. This is what it currently looks like:

Irish Jigger

Welcome to the Forum Mike, we have all had similar problems to this.
Looking at the corrosion on your drag stack I would imagine both the pinion gear and ball bearing are rusted on the spool spindle.
Don't force anything until you get a better idea of where the problem lies. I would remove the screw and clutch lever and the inner reinforcing ring from the side plate and gently press on the ball bearing cup as it is fitted from the inside of the reel and will not unscrew.
Good Luck and let's know what happens.

Bryan Young

Next best thing is to soak it in wd40, clr, or something like those to loosen up the crud.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

oregonrafter

Quote from: Irish Jigger on April 28, 2012, 10:33:52 PM
Welcome to the Forum Mike, we have all had similar problems to this.
Looking at the corrosion on your drag stack I would imagine both the pinion gear and ball bearing are rusted on the spool spindle.
Don't force anything until you get a better idea of where the problem lies. I would remove the screw and clutch lever and the inner reinforcing ring from the side plate and gently press on the ball bearing cup as it is fitted from the inside of the reel and will not unscrew.
Good Luck and let's know what happens.

I followed your advice and removed the screw & clutch lever. It was corroded in the bridge plate, but with a little tap from the back of my screwdriver, it came apart. As soon as it separated, I took this picture. I'm fairly certain this thing hasn't seen daylight since it was originally assembled.

Dominick

Oregon:  Nice job.  Now remove the main gear and all the loose stuff.  Stand the spool in CLR up to over the pinion gear and let soak for a day.  Then use the 2 screwdriver trick that Bryan said to use and pry the bearing then the pinion, being careful not to chip the teeth of the pinion gear.  You are on your way to a great reel rebuild.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

oregonrafter

Here's a side shot of the accentric jack. ...I'm guessing it's not supposed to have that curve in it. Looks like I pulled a little too hard.

broadway

Oregonafter,
    Did the inner trim ring separate from the side plate before you removed the main gear? I didn't think the main would come out if the trim ring was attached to the side plate before removal. If I were you I would soak all the inners in CLR or distilled vinegar like Bryan and Dominick said before you attempt to take the rest apart and damage something.  Hope that pinion isn't your problem... they are a pain in the neck to get unstuck if they're stuck good and tight.  Be careful not to destroy the spool, they aren't cheap!
Dom

oregonrafter

The bearing/shaft looks pretty corroded. I think I'll spray it down with WD and let it soak a while before trying the 2 screwdriver trick.

oregonrafter

Quote from: broadway on April 28, 2012, 11:23:28 PM
Oregonafter,
    Did the inner trim ring separate from the side plate before you removed the main gear? I didn't think the main would come out if the trim ring was attached to the side plate before removal. If I were you I would soak all the inners in CLR or distilled vinegar like Bryan and Dominick said before you attempt to take the rest apart and damage something.  Hope that pinion isn't your problem... they are a pain in the neck to get unstuck if they're stuck good and tight.  Be careful not to destroy the spool, they aren't cheap!
Dom
No, the inner trim ring and side plate were together when the main gear & assembly separated. They easily pulled-apart afterwards. The side plate and trim ring look good.

oregonrafter

Here's another picture of the bearing and shaft. Pretty corroded.
The shaft that the bearing is attached to - Is this the actual spool shaft?
Would it be better to soak this in distilled vinegar, or WD-40? This looks like rust to me, so I'm thinking WD might be better.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Makule

Quote from: oregonrafter on April 28, 2012, 11:52:29 PM
Here's another picture of the bearing and shaft. Pretty corroded.
The shaft that the bearing is attached to - Is this the actual spool shaft?
Would it be better to soak this in distilled vinegar, or WD-40? This looks like rust to me, so I'm thinking WD might be better.

The bearing is shot so have no apprehension about removing it by taking it apart.  You'll need a new one anyway.

More than likely, the pinion gear is rusted to the shaft (yes, what you see sticking out is the shaft of the spool), so before you try anything drastic, submerge the whole side into automatic transmission fluid and acetone combination (ratio not critical).  Let it stand at least overnight.  Just shooting it with WD40 may not do the trick.  WD40 is a "water displacer" (hence WD) and not really a penetrating fluid. ATF with acetone is much better, even better than some commercial penetrating products.  If overnight soaking doesn't do it, try longer (even a week if you must and keep the solution covered so it doesn't evaporate).  Try to work that pinion gear clockwise and counterclockwise on the shaft to loosen it and use that two screwdriver trick.  Failing that, try gently tapping the gear with a small hammer to break loose the rust.  You might try a gear puller if you have a small one handy.  If all that fails, you might have to resort to heating the gear with a torch so that it will expand around the shaft (try not to heat the shaft)  If this doesn't work, then it's time for removal by destruction.  Pinion gears can be gotten affordably, but spools are more expensive, as mentioned earlier.   If the shaft is too damaged from the corrosion, the spool may ultimately need to be replaced anyway, however (because even if you have a machinist who can do the repair work, unless he'll do it for beer, as with Lee, it'll cost more than a new spool).  Good luck.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Alto Mare

That reel appears to be too far gone. I would split the pinion with vise grips and toss everything but the spool and plates. from the looks of your picture, the spool needs lots of sanding , you moght have to toss it out also. You could find a reel in fair condition for aroud $40, I just don't believe that bringing  this one back to life is worth the effort. I'm surpriced, don't usually see many 113H's in that condition.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.