Penn 113H spool removal

Started by oregonrafter, April 28, 2012, 08:01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Makule

Quote from: Irish Jigger on May 01, 2012, 07:12:31 AM
That inner race is hardened and should break with a gentle squeeze in the bench vice,works for me. ;)
Remember the pinion is engaged with the two "flats" on the spool spindle  and I would suggest pulling rather than twisting (after a prolonged soaking in release agent.)
Good Luck,you have made great progress. We are  keeping our fingers crossed that you save the spool. :D

Yes, the pinion gear is keyed to the shaft, so don't think about trying to completely twist it off.  The use of the wrench was merely to "break" it free of rust (doesn't take much) and this is exactly why I cautioned against using much force.  Once it's free from the "stuck", keep working it in any direction you can to increase the freedom.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

oregonrafter

It's currently soaking in ATF/acetone. I'm going to leave it there for a day or two before trying anything.

It could be challenging to try to use the same puller. The notch in the center of the gear is the only thing to grab ahold-of, and it's positioned below the rim (in the concave area) of the outside of the spool. In order to use the puller, I'd have to fabricate a notched plate that drops down in to the concave area.

The pinion is pretty delicate... I've already put a couple of gouges in the outside corners of the splines that I'll have to smooth-out if it survives the battle. It makes me nervous to put any pressure on those splines with pliers/vice grips, even if it is padded. I hate to be pessimistic, but I'm guessing I'm going to trash that pinion gear. No biggie if I do. I'm in this for the ride.

oregonrafter

I'm back in  action after soaking the pinion gear and end of the spool shaft in ATF & acetone for a couple days. The first thing I did was take the vice grips to the inner part of the bearing, which was still stuck to the spool shaft. Unlike before, this time it actually spun around the shaft when I twisted it, which was a good sign. After a few twists and some pressure, it finally just broke apart, which was great!

Next step: The pinion gear. For the last two days, I've been thinking of a good way to try to pull it off, but I really didn't come up with a great idea for using the puller I used on the bearing. I decided that it just wasn't worth the effort to try to fabricate a drop-down plate that would fit in to the groove in the gear. After-all, the pinion gears are not that expensive to purchase.

My quick and easy method for removal was vice grips. Before clamping-down on the gear, I gave it about 10 tight wraps with electrical tape. I used electrical tape because it's stretchy, and would tend to stretch down in to the splines, which (I was thinking) would give it more grip. I gently clamped-down on the splines of the gear - hoping not to cause any further damage. This is what it looked like before I did anything (below)

oregonrafter

The first thing I did, was gave it a little pressure side to side, in hope of breaking the rust bond. Much to my surprise, it moved a little! After a little working it back and forth, I could tell that it was definitely loose, and was moving freely until it reached each "stop" on the sides of the pinion gear. After this, I started giving it pressure outward, while twisting it slightly back & forth. I was careful not to twist it too much, as I didn't want to damage the stops on the gear. After few minutes, it started moving and then came free! WOO HOO!!! Below is a picture of the shaft, right after I pulled the pinion gear. Notice that I did mushroom the end of the shaft with my first attempt of removing the bearing with the hammer. This was definitely the wrong idea, and was probably the reason the bearing blew in to pieces.

oregonrafter

I've gone down the road this far, so I'm now thinking I should try to resurrect the spool shaft. The first thing I did, was applied naval jelly to the rust. After A couple applications and some very fine steel wool, it came pretty clean. I then carefully filed the mushroomed part off the end, so it can receive a new bearing. I think it turned out pretty good, and will definitely be able to be used again. If you click on the picture below, you can enlarge it for more detail (but you probably already know this :-). 

oregonrafter

The pinion gear received a little damage, but I spent about 15 minutes working it over with a very small file and I was able to get it looking pretty good. I credit this to one of those work lights with the magnifying lens and articulating arm... If you don't already have one of these, get one! They are absolutely fantastic for fine mechanical work like this.

Even though the gear is probably usable, I may opt to buy a new one, as they don't cost a lot. ...Opinions?

redsetta

Well done mate - that's a great result.
Cheers for sharing the journey!
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Dominick

Hooray!  Good job.  Before ordering new parts, try to get the whole thing working again.  I believe that you must buy a main gear and a pinion together, as they are cut together.  If they are not matching they won't mesh properly.  On the other hand you could get lucky and a new pinion will work with your main gear.  I know you are having fun now.   :) Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

john2244

Thanks for the ride, I had a great time!!!!
John

Alto Mare

Nice going, I'm glad it's working out for you. You must have a lot of patience.

Dominick, most  Penn gears don't come together in a bag  as Newell and Accurate do. Oregonrafter will be able to just buy the pinion, it's only $9 and I think it might be a good idea.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bill B

Just caught up with this post, what patience it must have took to not just apply the "old Harley-davidson mechanic' approach of three weights of ball peen hammers and two sizes of Vice-Grips to pull everything apart.....I would have just wailed away at the D@#! thing....who would have thought of ATF and acetone for a penetrative solution?!?!

Would you happen to have any pictures of the finished reel/ it would be a great addition to the end of this post.
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

oregonrafter

I would not describe myself as an overly patient person, but I tend to be persistent. I know that if I was put this reel aside because it's too challenging, I'd likely never attempt rebuilding another one. At times, it took some serious restraint to not throw the damned thing across the room and stomp up & down on it.  :D

I got all the new parts yesterday, including the metal washers to complete the drag stack, a fiber washer for next to the main gear, a new pinion bearing & cup, some reel oil (I already have grease), and a new Penn wrench. I'd like to say that putting all the parts back together was a piece of cake... but I won't say that  ;D. What I will say, is that NEXT time, it will probably be a piece of cake. Seriously, it really wasn't too difficult, but there are a couple of tricky spots that I had to learn how to deal with. Now that I have those parts mastered, it will go much easier. 

Thanks, gents. I really couldn't have done this without the advice and encouragement I received here. Hopefully some newb like me will find this thread useful in the future.

Here's the fully reassembled reel. You'll probably notice the odd retention nut on the reel handle. This is a "Turn-A-Mate" crank adapter, which allows the user to attach an electric motor to the reel for retrieval. Our halibut are quite deep here in the Pacific Northwest, so this will facilitate easier bait checks.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Makule

Quote from: oregonrafter on May 03, 2012, 09:27:52 PM
I've gone down the road this far, so I'm now thinking I should try to resurrect the spool shaft. The first thing I did, was applied naval jelly to the rust. After A couple applications and some very fine steel wool, it came pretty clean. I then carefully filed the mushroomed part off the end, so it can receive a new bearing. I think it turned out pretty good, and will definitely be able to be used again. If you click on the picture below, you can enlarge it for more detail (but you probably already know this :-). 

It could just be my monitor but it looks like the shaft is slightly bent.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

broadway

OR,

Nice job with your first project... welcome to the club, hope you consulted your significant other/ wife before you came on this site cause your family just got bigger ;)
PS- I used the turn-a-mate to put line on my reels before I got a super spooler... cool tool!
Dom