penn 113 upgrade

Started by onemako, June 07, 2012, 06:39:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

onemako

Hi all,  I posted recently about souping up a reel for my sons birthday. Jvariance side plates tiburon etc. The reel is the black penn ll3 that has the 5 posts and I guess it would be considered no frame. It has a 2 to l gear ratio. My question is can I upgrade the main gear and pinion gear to something along the lines of a 4 or 5 to 1 ratio. If so does anyone know the stock number off a penn that will work. Thanks in advance. I did a search on the site but didnt see an answer so pardon me if I overlooked it somewhere.

akfish

Bad news: There is really nothing you can do to get a 4:1 or 5:1 retrieve ratio on that reel. Apart from carbon fiber drag washers not much can be done with the black 113. You could stick on a steel gear sleeve (about $20) but the small drag washers don't generate enough drag to make this worthwhile.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

onemako

I was afraid of that. But what the heck it will still look neat and I had a blast taking it apart and smoothing all the guts and tweeking here and there. Thanks for the input.

alantani

yeah, not much you can do with this one.  if your brass gear sleeve is damaged, then a bigger handle grip, a stainless steel gear sleeve and a conversion from a "1+3" to a "1+5" drag stack might help.  
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

day0ne

If you are using Jvariance side plates then your gears, spool, etc won't fit. The Jvariance side plates use 113H insides and spool. A 4:1 gear is sort of available for the 113H (if you can find one). The black 113 and the red 113H are two different reels
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Gman_WC

Not the same parts. The black 113 is a great reel for trolling with the 2:1 ratio. Plenty of low end granny gear torque.
Keep your eye on flea bay. I've poached a few nice 113h (red side plate) at the nice price that clean up nice.
-gary
Walnut Creek, CA

George4741

Here is an example of what can be done with a black 4/0 Senator.  This is a very nice looking reel.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=3692.msg26338#msg26338

I narrowed my own black 4/0 with a Newell foot and Longbeach 66 spool which makes it the same width as a YTS.  It has all steel gears, a stainless gear sleeve, and 1+5 drag washers.  I may have spent too much upgrading it, but I have the dubious honor of owning the only one like it in the neighborhood. ;D   
viurem lliures o morirem

alantani

a long beach 66 spool works???????  i'm trying think if i ever heard that before.  that's great.  i think i have some of those somewhere!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Yes, we talked about this before. That reel can also be converted into a wide, by using the 68 parts.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

onemako

Max great looking reel. That is the same reel I am using. I picked up two of the reels at a hardware fishing combo about 4 years that was going out of business and had been around in the family for about 70 yrs. Both reels were still in the box and unsued. We fished with them a few times and they have plenty of line cap. for the fishing we do. Ok looks like the side plates are history. Thanks all for help. Will go back to drawing board for other ideas on it.

George4741

Quote from: alantani on June 08, 2012, 06:54:22 AM
a long beach 66 spool works???????  i'm trying think if i ever heard that before.  that's great.  i think i have some of those somewhere!

If cost is no factor, a narrow Tiburon or Accurate frame can be used.  I went the cheap route and put a Newell YTS foot on mine.  Now, if I can only find an inexpensive set of Newell bars somewhere. ;)
viurem lliures o morirem

onemako

I am wanting to keep it as a wide frame so yts is not a go. How to I convert it over to a 5 drag washer setup. thx

Bryan Young

The 113 drag washers are the same diameter as the 60, the metal washers are # 7C-60.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

onemako

I sure hate to seem dumb, but I am. Totally confused on the ll3 drag set up to convert to the 5 drag. Penn schematics show several part numbers for so many styles of 113 and versions of 113h. Does anyone have the actual part numbers for the metal drag and fiber drags.

George4741

Here's a tutorial on the 111 Senator that is very similar to the Black 113.  The sideplates disassemble somewhat differently, but the bridge, gears and drags look and assemble the same way.      

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=44.0

Here's what you need from MysticParts:  https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Conventional.aspx
qty
5    6-60 HT100 washers
1    6-113 HT100 washer
2    7-60 metal eared washers
3    86-60 metal heyed washers
1 oz container of Cal's grease part# CAL T1oz

Hopefully, you won't have to dremel out the sideplate as Alan did in photos 47-49.  I didn't.

Or you can contact Dawn at info@smoothdrag.com and tell her you are putting together a 1+5 drag stack in your BLACK 113 Senator (tell her it's NOT the red 113H) and maybe she can put together a complete set of metal and carbontex washers and 1 oz of Cal's drag grease.  This is probably the easiest way if she can do it.

BTW here is the parts list for your senator, your model is the 113 with posts:  https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Penn113.aspx

If I missed something I'm sure one of the other guys will chime in. ;D

George

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
viurem lliures o morirem