TSI vs Yamalube corrosion protection in the extreeme

Started by JGB, June 16, 2012, 03:42:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JGB

Here is a pic of 2 iron finishing nails (about 1.2" in length). One treated with TSI 321 and the other treated with Yamalube.
Both were submerged is synthetic sea water for 6 months. They were then removed and wiped clean.

Can you guess which is which????

Jim N.

Dominick

My vote is the corroded nail was treated with TSI 321.  Do I win anything?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Nessie Hunter

Taking a walk on the wild side here....

With the time frames Alan has talked about with his TSI  (2 years now)..
Plus I have had excellent results also...

Im going to guess the Good Nail was the TSI nail...    ????
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Nuvole

My guess corroded nail = TSI.
Or else I'll have to pay expensive shipping to get some.

alantani

hmmmmmm.......  i'm going to go against the flow here and guess yamaha marine grease.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

leap of faith...I'd say the clean nail is yamalube.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

if it's not the yamalube, then there are alot of outboard engines out there that are in trouble.   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dave Bentley

Only believe that which you know to be true.

suitekids

I'd say the corroded nail had the yammi on it, I think there was some confusion on yamalube and yamalube marine grease, they are different animals

Bryan Young

I'm sure we are only talking about Yamalube Marine grease and not the general or wheel bearing grease.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: Pescachaser on June 16, 2012, 04:26:35 AM
My vote is the corroded nail was treated with TSI 321.  Do I win anything?  Dominick

x2 because IMO any type of grease will last longer than oil.

JGB

Ok here is the scoop. ???

The corroded nail is the Yamalube. The finely pitted nail (right side) is the TSI. Yes the Yamalube is the marine version (dark blue before they changed the formulation to pale blue). The Yamalube nails were rolled between the fingers with Yamalube trying to force good adhesion to the nails (3 of them). The thickness of the Yamalube varied from a thin layer to thick enough to stick the nails together. Keep in mind that this test was with plain old iron that will rust in the rain.

Here is what I think is happening here.
The corroded nail still has some areas that did not corrode. I think the Yamalube stayed in place. In the other corroded areas it looks like the corrosion undermined the yamalube. Remember this is a 6 month test. Plenty of time for corrosion to go under the protective layer.
In simple terms any pinhole through the lube will corrode and corrosion can migrate under the Yamalube since Yamalube does not flow.
The TSI will flow and spread to cover the metal 100% inside and out like water in a sponge. Also it  will not allow corrosion to undermine and any corrosion will be forced free and undermined by the TSI

There was free rust staining in the water with the TSI with only a film of sludgy rusty like paste with the TSI. The Yamalube had growths of rusty paste 3 or 4 times the diameter of the nails indicating the rust once formed stayed in place.

Too bad TSI is not compatible with grease.

Short term test with SS bearing showed no rust at all with TSI. Howerver salt crystals can form around the balls seizing the bearings until rinsed in fresh water or the bearing is forced to turn breaking the crystals apart. If there was grease there would be no salt crystals as the grease would occupy the space.

Jim N.

suitekids

Nuvole

This is unbelievable! Now I'm gonna pay for expensive shipping to bring some TSI over after all. 

Keith K

Really interesting experiment.  I would have bet money the other way...

Thanks Jim!