Progress for a newbie.

Started by lyt, July 08, 2012, 06:46:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lyt

well noted. 

ok still waiting on shimano to deliver the galaxy.   :(   anyway, all the info is much appreciated.   

BTW, I dont know what i did before Harbor Freight. It is the only tool store i go to now....(except for certain items)    If they were to close, I might just have to end it all  :o

I can literally spend 3 hours there drooling and buy WAY too many things I don't need and will never use.
If you keep doing what you've always done...
You'll keep getting what you've always got...

lyt

ok wrench and grease arrived, just need some reelx.    really wish i could get it locally in S. FL  ....   cant seem to find it anywhere....   

ready to finish the reel!

lyt

ok....  finally got a chance to get back into things.....

reelx, drag washers and handles have arrived courtesy of Alan.   Alan was kind enough, 4 hours before he left for Australia, to CALL me and confirm the gear.   who has customer service like that?   crazy.  he even went to the tackle shop to get my reelx....  dude...   the next blue label is on me :)

Anyway, 4 handles and 4 drag washers aren't cheap, but for what I paid for the whole kit....I figure I will keep these for a while...and when they can handle 18-20 lbs of drag, I will feel better about letting these reels be the work horses on the boat....and I wont be worried about scratching my pretty gold reels.   It's just me, I like perfectly working older equipment, I don't feel ripped off and I don't have to be so careful.   ok moving on....

now that I have everything I opened the ziplock bags where i had previously dis-assembled the reel and man....  first time doing this it was so much fun having  no idea how to put it back together:).  pictures on here are great and i have the diagram so i have been slowly cleaning and greasing each part.   if you have read the whole post you guys know i was planning to do not only a service but a FULL cleaning and service of these 4 reels.

prying out the shields on the bearings was so much fun, finally figured out that a razor knife and then a corkscrew worked.   I wish I had had a dental probe....that probably would have been the best. 

the only fear I have is the marine grease.   it is not yamaha, but it is MARINE grease for trailers etc.    I am assuming it will work fine.

i should have it back together exactly like the tutorial on the tld 25/20 shortly.   I will have to buy a scale, theold rusty ones i have may not read correctly.   

Anyway, Alan, thanks a ton.....   and remember....... I always thought you were a swell guy, no matter what they say about you!

Dominick

Quote from: lyt on July 21, 2012, 01:24:11 AM

the only fear I have is the marine grease.   it is not yamaha, but it is MARINE grease for trailers etc.    I am assuming it will work fine.

Anyway, Alan, thanks a ton.....   and remember....... I always thought you were a swell guy, no matter what they say about you!

LYT: The marine grease for trailers is too sticky.  There is a big difference.  It will work but you should wait until you get Yamaha Marine grease.  Oh yeah, we will stop talking about Alan and take your word for it.   ;D  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

lyt

ok so should i just buy a 14 oz   yamaha cartridge?

where can i find it locally? in South Florida

LTM

lyt,

If you think you have OCD now; dont apply that grease you have now and later use the Yamaha marine grease.  If you do, you'll know you have OCD for you will redo all reels without the Yamaha grease.  I used non-yamaha grease on about 3 reels, then I got some Yamaha grease and felt better after RE-SERVICING the reels with ALL the "fully qualified" lubricants (TSI, Yamaha, Cals, CorrosionX).  I use corrosionX on handle shafts etc (non spool related).  The first time I applied the TSI or Yamaha products the difference was immediate. 

Patience is the key,

Leo

lyt

yeah i did find the yamalube....

stuff is great....

ok so heres the good news...

I FULLY ASSEMBLED my first TLD 25.

the bad news:

i am having a problem with the freespool.    I followed everything exactly, and I think I did it correctly, but when i have the drag at higher settings....   it wont stay in freespool.

is this a thickness issue?

lyt

ok guys.....   measured 4.60mm

now what?

lyt

ok...   had to take a short break from repairing.....   but back now....

OK so got 3 down....  since the parts arrived from alan.    found some Yama grease at a marine shop......

the 1st one had a BENT shaft.    (imagine that being your first reel you have ever attempted to repair, and wondering like "what the heck is going on".)  thanks to the forum guys here...i did manage to diagnose it.....it took a while ....but we finally got it.    so for those of you have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING BETTER to do.....   you can read the bent shaft story here :  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=4918.0

the 2nd one   " WINNING"        MAJOR freespool

the 3rd one TLD20 does not freespool as well as i would like.....   i think all these reels were serviced at some point and whoever put them back together was not so clever or was lazy or just plain did not know how to do it or mixed up parts....because i find washers missing,  wrong springs, etc.....   i have to consult the diagrams to troubleshoot.  

the 4th one i am about to start which is the last TLD 25.

Nessie Hunter

Good job, keep up the good work!!!!

For those Bearing shields, try a fishing hook!!!
Very sharp points and strong..   
I am leaning toward some larger Circle hooks (from Drop Shot hooks to 5/0 circle hooks), they work pretty good...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

lyt

ok waiting on parts for the last tld25

now on to tackling the MONSTER BIG DADDY......the Daiwa Sealine 900H.

Out of all the reels I bought as a package deal.....this is the worst "looking" reel....it has the most visible corrosion.   all the others have none really.  

I got the kit from alan....  and i just disassembled....   wow man....its almost as complicated as a spinner!

i have a BUCKET full of dis-assembled parts, and it's easy to get a hernia from lifting it!.....

So I need a diagram....although i did take pics.....

day0ne

David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

lyt

thanks....

ok parts came in.... for the last TLD25       DOH..... shimano forgot the 202 spring I ordered....o well....

Here is the ? :   so I DO have a spring but it is twice as long as the others i saw in the other reels.....I do not think it is OEM but it was in the reel and the guys at shimano didn't seem to think it would make a difference all that much.....so what say ye?   Personally I like to have ALL OEM parts in my devices (meaning internally machined parts integral for the function of the reel .....I dont care about aftermarket accessory parts like handles etc.).

ALSO, I was in the middle of the reassembly and find out that the 58 and 47 washers are nowhere to be found......  

I am beginning to think that it was a reel hack (pun intended)   who serviced this before...   I remember a plastic washer falling out when i disassembled this one....  I didn't know at the time, but now i am realizing that whoever serviced it, used 1 plastic washer in place of # 58 and #47.   *sigh*    looks like i have to wait AGAIN!  

as for big daddy.....   what a beast....i may use an entire tub of degreaser on it....it's so nasty and dirty black grease in there.

also....mine has a HUGE crank handle....like the 910 but i was told it was a 900H....   its all parts now....i cant really tell....   i suppose when i put it back together i will see

lyt

OK!  

we are getting seriously close to getting all these reels done!

i need 2 small washers for the tld25....then thats done....

and I need a few small parts that were missing from the 900H and we are finito!  

the 900h looks like it will be SUCH a nice reel when it's done..... It took me 3 hours to fully clean corrosion off.....   the side rings that go on the side I could not even get off....i had to use my bearing tool that i made to pry them off like a bearing, rocking back and forth.....   amazingly ALL the corrosion came off, I was scared that it had eaten into the reel....but it didn't   Here is before photo.....      

.....so hopefully we can see how well it is once I am finished.....and I do plan to destroy a few big tuna with it.....that is if I can find them!   Hua!    thanks to all you guys who helped!

redsetta

Good going lyt - you'll be casting around for another project before you know it ;) ;D
If you haven't got it already, I thoroughly recommend the five-stack cf and metal washer conversion, here: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=153.0
I did one for a workmate recently and it's a top-notch upgrade.
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer