Progress for a newbie.

Started by lyt, July 08, 2012, 06:46:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lyt

yes actually i DID that upgrade!    I ordered it from alan and sadly....one nubless metal washer was missing....I'm sure alan got the PM I sent.....

once it arrives....I can fully put it back together.....   you guys will NOT even recognize it!   I am shocked at how nice it came out.....   pics coming as soon a the mailman delivers!

I love the idea that i could tear one of these down on the boat if necessary now!  It's funny, you know, 1 month ago I had NEVER done a reel service, now literally...thanks to the forum, I feel like I could disassemble ANY reel and at least understand whats going on....and fix it, I already know I am going to be repairing my friends reels!    ???   not sure if I like that :)   but secretly....I think I do!   Just don't tell 'em.....
If you keep doing what you've always done...
You'll keep getting what you've always got...

alantani

i only send out four metal washers now.  the spacing is better if you use one of the original metal washers on top.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

lyt

gotcha!    which one do i put on top?   being this tall, i guess it does not need the nubs....

ok.....

ok so for the complete drag stack, which includes:....

4 metal washers you sent
5large+1small drag washers
1 of the OEM metal washer (the thinnest one w/ no nubs)

I get 13.20mm    is this ok?   on your tutorial it says 12.22mm   

i am assuming you do include the small washer in the stack.....right?

alantani

there should be one medium slotted metal washer, one medium keyed metal washer and one super thick keyed metal washer.  i think either keyed metal washer will work.  can you let us know?  thanks!  alan

lyt

not bad eh?

i havn't done the spool yet.....   im waiting for the parts.....   and to reline it.....

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

lyt

Yeah its too bad the spool under the line is completely shot.....but only 27 from Daiwa....   not too bad....

soon to be finished.....    just a few more parts.....

lyt

Ok still waiting on the spool, but for the record (since this is a log of my progress) the #4 TLD 25 is the absolute best.   Over 1 minute of freespool, by HAND.  (no, i did not use a lawnmower crank pull stroke.)   ;D

So I do find it odd that all reels were in pretty much the same condition, but when fully serviced, i get varying results--all reels have about the same amount of line:

2 TLD 25's   perfect-- over 1 minute
1  TLD 25     somewhat ok  10-15 seconds
1 TLD 20    ok at 25-30 secs

any ideas?   perhaps the housings are warped?   I don't hear any rubbing, though.   

I do still suppose these #'s are good, perhaps it's only bad if its under 5 seconds.....

The other issue I was thinking about is the fact that freespool (in some ways) doesn't really matter on these reels, ....perhaps on a spinner and for casting i can see why it matters...  but not here.   

alantani

maybe try cleaning out the bearings again, then see how the bare spool spins. 

lyt

yeah that's what I was thinking....

interestingly this #4 TLD is actually the #1 I started working on, which was indeed the "worst" of the TLD's.    Perhaps it was my greenness, or, perhaps it was just that this particular reels was in the poorest condition.   

Before I knew that the main problem was the twisted/bent shaft, I had torn this reel down about 8-10 times trying to figure it out.....   perhaps something went wrong somewhere down the line in my re-assembly.   Also, I did end up having to ream out the hole in the graphite.    I think I did an exacting job, but I also thought that this is not really the cause of lack of freespool, it has to be bearing related.   

I just realized that on these bearings I did not use my "trick" that I figured out as I was trying to find a way to clean out these bearings  .....(ok it's probably common knowledge to the veterans here) but it was new to me.   

Basically, I realized that I was using WAY TOO MUCH carb cleaner per bearing to try to get them clean.  So I improvised and made a patent pending device :)

I put a tapered nail punch sticking straight up in the grip of an adjustable wrench in the middle of a large cardboard box (which I have in excess).    The opened bearing slid down and seated on the tapered punch nicely.   Then I could spray the carb cleaner thru the tube and get that bearing spinning nicely WHILE it was cleaning.   The inertial force spins out all the junk quickly and I know for sure that all parts of the bearing are clean.   The box I actually doubled up for safety sake on my porch tile and I also threw some of my old paper towel rags in and around the inside the box so that it would not soak through.

I ended up using minimal carb cleaner to clean the bearings.   Now, it's not that I can't afford carb cleaner :)  It's just that I felt it was such a waste to use so much and still not be 100% sure it was squeaky clean.   This way I KNOW it's clean!   

Like I said, I am sure this is an old trick, but I take this silly pleasure in finding big time saving shortcuts to make things easier.   LOL ...now that i think of it, I built an entire business on that principal!   

anyway

The last thing is waiting for the spool on the daiwa 900h.   After that, the only thing left is to either service the 2 6500 plus baitrunners.....   or just throw them to Davy Jones.   JK of course :) 

Keta

I like the bearing holder/pin punch idea. It's not a good idea to spin bearings with air or in this case aerosol carb cleaner.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Norcal Pescador

Here are a few questions as food for thought:

How much lube in each bearing? I've pretty much found that if I use more the 2 drops of oil (ReelX, CorrosionX, etc.) the freespool time is measurably slower.
Have you looked at the spool while it's turning to see if it's not true?
Do the bearings feel crunchy or sloppy?
If it was torn down before you got it maybe Bubba messed up / mixed up the bearings?
Is there a spool bearing sleeve that's too long or damaged?

Keep plugging away, you'll get it right. It may just take more time (and more money). :-\
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

lyt

Quote from: Keta on September 04, 2012, 01:19:07 PM
I like the bearing holder/pin punch idea. It's not a good idea to spin bearings with air or in this case aerosol carb cleaner.

tell me.....   I like to know.....   what is the reason not to spin them with carb cleaner?   I can understand not using air, due to the water in the line....   but why not carb cleaner...?

the only thing i can think of is the gunk in the bearing will scratch possibly when spun?.....   

alantani

i hope it's ok to spin it with carb cleaner. i do that all the time.  figured it would be ok because it was now wet.  when the bearings are dry, i will not overspin them.  screwed up several like that.   :-\

lyt

Quote from: alantani on August 27, 2012, 04:14:57 PM
there should be one medium slotted metal washer, one medium keyed metal washer and one super thick keyed metal washer.  i think either keyed metal washer will work.  can you let us know?  thanks!  alan

sry alan....forgot to link to the answer on this one....   http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=225.30    I noticed it as i was rereading

yes .....the stack is fine....   however i havn't tested it......can't really till the spool gets here.   it did measure differently....   but from my hand testing....it seems amazingly stronger.