Progress for a newbie.

Started by lyt, July 08, 2012, 06:46:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lyt

Quote from: norcal pescador on September 04, 2012, 02:02:57 PM
Here are a few questions as food for thought:

How much lube in each bearing? I've pretty much found that if I use more the 2 drops of oil (ReelX, CorrosionX, etc.) the freespool time is measurably slower.
Have you looked at the spool while it's turning to see if it's not true?
Do the bearings feel crunchy or sloppy?
If it was torn down before you got it maybe Bubba messed up / mixed up the bearings?
Is there a spool bearing sleeve that's too long or damaged?

Keep plugging away, you'll get it right. It may just take more time (and more money). :-\

I am realizing that i will have to tear it down again to diagnose....  but if I don't find anything, I will just put it down to a "not so perfect" bearing.

The reel still works fine.....   just wont be winning any casting tournaments with it. :)
If you keep doing what you've always done...
You'll keep getting what you've always got...

lyt

BTW I just found out the hard way.....    NEVER EVER EVER leave a corroded rod guide sitting in vinegar.   It ate thru the rod.

Sometimes I am such an idiot     :P   .....  never realized how powerful vinegar can be.   

alantani

bummer.  didn't know that......   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Keta

Quote from: lyt on September 11, 2012, 12:43:46 AM
NEVER EVER EVER leave a corroded rod guide sitting in vinegar.   It ate thru the rod.

Graphite rod?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

lyt

you can see where it kinda "hollowed" out where the brass enters the rod.   

not sure if it is graphite.... basically it is a regular rod....and i had some SERIOUS corrosion on the guides....so i made a shallow cup of vinegar and laid the rod in there....  for about 2 hours....    guide facing down to soak.   Well it was a bad idea....   i NEVER thought it would eat the "glue" wrap used to hold the guide.....

now that i think of it.....there is an outside chance that the hollowing was already there, having not really done an incredibly thorough examination...  but i am pretty sure the vinegar made it worse and "ate" a bit of it away....   the rod guides were in pretty bad shape....   i had to do something!   

o well....you live and learn.   

Irish Jigger

Are you sure the vinegar actually damaged the rod?
Cut the guide and wrapping off,clean the rod locally and check blank for damage.
Bend the blank and see if it breaks under normal load.
Cannot believe that vinegar would damage the blank.

Keta

You are looking at thread windings that hold the guide to the rod.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

day0ne

Older rods used varnish instead of epoxy on the rod windings. I doubt the blank is damaged from that
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Bryan Young

blank looks okay.  Looks like the varnish/guide wrap.  You should be okay.  the blanks scrim are usually bonded with a high temperature/pressure flexible epoxy.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

lyt

not worried about the blank.....   it was the wrappings....

fair enough, and like i said in my previous post, there is room for my own error here (obviously).   There are several scenarios I can think of:

1)  Vinegar somehow reacted with something and caused damage
2)  Vinegar only cleaned out the corrosion that was filling (or gave the appearance of filling) the already made holes/damage
3)  The rod wraps were already in bad shape and I just didn't notice, but when I took them out of the vinegar I really noticed it.

here are some other facts:

A)  I only left each guide in for 1-2 hours and then used a brass brush to get corrosion off.  
B)  The only guides that were affected were the last three but not the tip (since it is a full metal tip type)
C)  Other guides were in the solution, but the rod didn't get any vinegar on it since my shallow cup was too shallow for the larger guides neared the reel.
D)  I can move the "damaged"  guides slightly left to right
E)  I had absolutely no idea vinegar would do this....that's why I had no reservation about it.