Inside the Lexa 300

Started by flyforfish21, July 29, 2012, 11:53:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyforfish21

Here's a quick look inside the lexa 300, incase anyone wanted to see. Not enough time for a tutorial, plus its a new reel :P

The reel

With the handle assembly off, exposing the handle bearing

Gear/drag stack

Anti reverse pawl/clutch plate

Drag components (carbon fiber ;D) Except one fiber washer under the main gear, forgot to measure...oops

Underneath the gears/drive shaft...No pinion bearing ???

Spool view 1

Spool view 2

Frame/spool/left sideplate

Inside the frame/pinion

Left side plate access

Levelwind

Anti reverse bearing/other spool bearing/right side plate
Anti reverse is mostly plastic, so less rust to worry about. May be a plus, hopefully they hold up.

Handle components/drag star

Haven't contributed in awhile, figured i'd throw up something of use for anyone who hasn't opened one yet

Geoff

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bucktail

Thanks.  I was looking at those.  I have a Curado 300 now and I love it for almost everything inshore.  Was thinking about getting the new Daiwa or the Abu Revo Toro NaCl.  Anybody know how those magnetic backlash controls hold up in saltwater?
Just a jig-a-lo

Nessie Hunter

Little disappointed the Lexa doesnt have a Free floating spool, but has the spool shaft go through the Pinion!!!!??? 

Daiwa 'was' a leader in this upgrade for casting IMO...  :-[

Otherwise its looking good......

Thanks for the look inside..... 
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

alantani

the free floating spool is an advantage for freespool, but i'll bet that the shimano design still works fine for most applications.

bradz

Hi Alan

Would the lack of a pinion bearing be a major problem? If so, do you think it could be easily upgraded to include a bearing?

Cheers
Brad

alantani

i was looking at that too.  it should be ok.  it would certainly be one less thing to maintain!

Tile

I wouldn't worry about the lack of a pinion bearing. The handle side spool shaft bearing is massive and is able to handle side loads with ease.
In solid fiberglass we trust

Tim McNeely

I'm pretty amused at all these new-generation lo-pro reels claiming to pull 20#+ of drag. I'm sure they will...once  :-\

DocThomasK

Alan, how long is the handle arm in total?`Looking for the Powerhandle as a spare part for a Ryoga. Might be a cheap alternative to the after market parts. Does anyone know where I can find the reel schematics online?

Cheers
Thomas

alantani

not sure on the length.  anyone have one to measure?

russ1962

Hello List,

Has anyone on here actually had a chance to fish the Lexa 300?
If so, what do you like and dislike about the reel?

I'm considering one to target Calico's but would like to hear some opinions first.  ;D

nagz

the small drag washer that sits under the drive gear, does anyone know what it's made out of and why it isn't constructed from the the same material as the main drag washers?

regards,

nagz

alantani

not sure, but i would replace it with carbon fiber.  likely that daiwa already has.

Aboulafia

Hi, I fish with this reel (300HSL P) since three months now. The casting control and casting distance are really good. I have the same casting distance with my LEXA and my CURADO 301e with Boca bearing on the spool.
I use it in saltwater, and there no water enter in the reel like the Curado, more easy to maintain. The drag system is really smooth and the operation of the reel is like butter.
But I don't like the axial play I have when retrieving. I had broken the counterweight of the handle (manufacturing defect) and I fix it myself and I will never move again.

It's a little early to talk about reliability after few months. Performance are really good.

Sorry for my poor english but it's not my native language.

I hope this help.