Cheers

Jeri

wallacewt

hi jeri.
hook,line,sinker, bait,swivel, solid ring
what you cast into the water.
cheers

SoCalAngler

How about a Penn 113HN (Baja Special)? It is a narrow 4/0 and casts like crazy but if you spectra back it and run long topshots it may work for you. Run something like 200-300 yards of 50 or 60 lb spectra backing with mono on top. Or is any spectra a no no if the sharks reach a reef?

I'm not sure a larger bearing will solve the issues you have. No matter its size you will have problems with them if their not matained extra well for the type of fishing you do and the use/abuse of dunking your reels in the saltwater a few times every trip out.

Jeri

Quote from: SoCalAngler on September 29, 2012, 06:40:29 AM
How about a Penn 113HN (Baja Special)? It is a narrow 4/0 and casts like crazy but if you spectra back it and run long topshots it may work for you. Run something like 200-300 yards of 50 or 60 lb spectra backing with mono on top. Or is any spectra a no no if the sharks reach a reef?

I'm not sure a larger bearing will solve the issues you have. No matter its size you will have problems with them if their not matained extra well for the type of fishing you do and the use/abuse of dunking your reels in the saltwater a few times every trip out.

Hi SoCalAngler,

The problem with the like of all the Penn Snetor family is getting sufficient thumb pressure on the top of the spool when making the cast. The problem in surf casting is stopping the spool from slipping while you 'build' the cast, especially as some of the bait & weight combinations are in excess of 20oz!!!

Hence the need for lower height spools, the original query was more to find out if anyone had a solved a similar problem with fishing somewhere else inthe world. At the moment we are stuck with the likes of Diawa Saltiga and Saltists, and Shimano Trinidads, and Avet LX series. We back them all wuith braid and top shot 300m of mono for casting ease. We will just have to keep on maintaining and looking seriously at up grading bearings that have lowest inertia start up conditions.

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri

Hi Wallace,

Attached is a photo of a sketch that we used in a magazine article, for general fishing in Namibia, it was aimed more towards folks targeting edible species, though the 'Pulley Rig' can be upgraded to wire on the hook length, and we use that for some of the smaller shark species that we target on occasions.

The distance rig is our personal favoured rig, as it stops a lot of the power loss 'in flight' with the bait spinning around. It works by holding the bait behind the sinker, and probably gains between 5-10 metres extra distance – it also calms down the early part of the sinker & bait flight, and avoids an unbalanced cast – which is a fault that is usually responsible for that huge crow's nest at about 50 metres or less

Big sharks, basically Copper Sharks are targeted with a sliding sinker rig above 175lb crimped cable with 2 hooks, one fixed and one as a slider. Basically the bottom hook is baited and the bait wrapped to the hook and wire with elasticated bait cotton, then the top hook is just snicked into the top of the bait. We still use the distance rig clips, but bigger, so that the huge baits are following the sinker, and not flapping around imitating a helicopter blade!!

The secret of the bait clips is to have the sinker line length longer than the hook length, and such that when it is rigged ready to cast, there is slack line in the sinker leg, and the hook leg is tight – effectively supporting the sinker. On hitting the water, the tension in the hook leg is removed, and the hook falls off the bait clip, and the sinker and bait are now separate. The biggest problem with the clipped bait system, is that unless the bait is very securely tied to the hook, it will ride up the hook line with the power of the casts that we are putting in. Like all these advances, it is a case of a lot of small things all working together to get a significant improvement.

[

Hope this all helps.

Cheers from sunny Africa.

Jeri

Hi Wallace,

Pulling hair out, with trying to post a picture, send me an email, and I will forward the rig picture to you direct.

jeri@excalibur-tackle.com

Cheers

Jeri

LTM

Jeri,

Hopefully one of the moderators will see this and you can send them the picture to post for you. Im dying to see how you rig these.

Leo

wallacewt

thanks jeri,
we learnt this method many years ago off the sth africans.
helped me win a few tournments.
for the beach fishing you only need to get your bait
into 7ft of water to be able to send it out 100's of meters.
i have sent my baits out over 300m no trouble at all
using only 4oz sinker.
ill try and post a photo of my method.
cheers

redsetta

QuoteHopefully one of the moderators will see this and you can send them the picture to post for you.
PM sent...
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

wallacewt

redsetta

wallacewt

thanks jeri.
there are a few versions,same princepal. 

redsetta

From Wallace:

Ron Jones

How often does the bait stay hooked to the sinker?

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Bryan Young

Hi Ron, we used to use a similar rig.  The hook and sinker separates when it hits the water.  We stopped using it because we lost a lot of lead, believe that the hook on the sinder got hooked...thought to believe.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D