Hurricane sandy Reels under water?

Started by arrowhawk, November 20, 2012, 01:07:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arrowhawk

Hurricane sandy Flooded my basement, boiler , freezer,  all my electric power tools are toast, hand tools are rust bucket now,   cars ect.
I just back in my home a few days ago. With every thing that I need to do to get my home in order reels are not tops on the list but I know they will need to be done. It's been a few weeks I would guess the damage has been done. Is there any thing I can do now or do I need to just take them apart when I get back on my feet?
The good new is I still have a home and my family is alive.

triumphrick

I can't even imagine what you folks are going through up there....

I have lived in Florida for over 55 years, and have never lost more than a few days of power loss..and never had a structure problem...

What I would try and do is immediately flush them with fresh water..or even put them all in a bucket of fresh water...that will at least stop any further damage from the salt intrusion...

As they are removed, dunk them in mineral spirits, or diesel...it will get in most places in the reels, as well as provide some rust and corrosion inhibit properties.

The last thing that I have used is ATF....it will also permeate the reels and help to displace the salt.

I was able to bring a reel back to life that was dunked for a week in salt water using this procedure.....

I'm sure there are other procedures that would work...

Obviously, they will all need to be disassembled and properly and thoroughly cleaned...the above mainly stops the damage that is being done if left untouched.

Bryan Young

I would personally dunk them in warm fresh water, shake out excess water and repeat a couple of times and let dry. I try not to use any chemicals as I don't really know what's in your reel in terms of parts. Sorry to hear and hope to see your reels in as good as new ready to catch another fish.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

RowdyW

I think if bakelite plates are soaked to long in any liquid they will swell & possibly crack the rings.

alantani

i never thought i'd ever recommend this.  a one gallon jug of WD-40 costs $17.  i'd buy fived and toss them into a five gallon bucket, then toss in the reels, crank them while under the solution (with gloves on) and hang them on bent clothes hangers over the bucket to let them drain.  then toss in the next bunch of reels and repeat, and then anything else that is starting to rust.  probably no power tools because of the risk of a fire.  a 5 gallon of tsi 321 would be better, but the cost would be prohibitive.  WD-40 is cheap!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dominick

Arrowhawk:  Send me the worst ones.  I'll even pay the postage.  I'll clean them up as best as I can and return them to you.  I'll PM you my address if this okay with you.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

kamuwela

what a man. i always say we are all family here. thats a great thing you are doing. send me a pm and ill help with the shipping.

saltydog

I had the same problem when the boat I worked on sank during hurricane Andrew.We got the reels back after sitting on the bottom of the bay for two weeks and a good heavy soaking in WD-40 is the ticket,not one of out reels were lost,now the rods were a different story,most of the guides had been lost by then.Man I know what ya'll are going through,I've lost two homes to hurricanes,
keep your head up and it will get better.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

broadway

Arrowhawk,
    I'm sorry to hear about your situation, but the family and house are the most important (family being first obviously.)  The third most important things are your Senator reels (if you have any-I hope you do :-\) Why not spread a little work around to a few of us instead of Dominick doing it all alone.  Any Senators you had that were effected by the storm send my way and I'll clean 'em up as best as possible.  PM me and I'll give you my address, you ship them, and I'll return them on my dime.  You guys on here inspire me to do "the right thing"... thank you!
PS- Good thinking and stand up move Dominick and Kam!
Alan, you created a family not a forum! ;)

Hope things get back to normal for you real soon,
Dom

redsetta

Quotewhat a man. i always say we are all family here. thats a great thing you are doing. send me a pm and ill help with the shipping.
x2 - anything I can do to assist, I'm in...
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Ron Jones

You guys are an inspiration!

Feel free to send a few my way, I am so glad you all are safe and are starting to put things back together.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

wallacewt

Nessie Hunter

Quote from: Pescachaser on November 20, 2012, 04:37:05 AM
Arrowhawk:  Send me the worst ones.  I'll even pay the postage.  I'll clean them up as best as I can and return them to you.  I'll PM you my address if this okay with you.  Dominick

Split them up..  Ill do the same thing, even pay the postage!!!!

Dig in guys this is Ohana/Family...............     ;D

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Alto Mare

Quote from: Nessie Hunter on November 20, 2012, 11:00:50 PM
Quote from: Pescachaser on November 20, 2012, 04:37:05 AM

Split them up..  Ill do the same thing, even pay the postage!!!!
Same here.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

dobrobill

awesome guys. As I get more experience I will join in later...