4:1 SS gear set available on Ebay

Started by john2244, November 21, 2012, 12:25:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

It's not me. I would never ever do this to you guys and gals.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

If it was me they would be bronze or inconel.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Cone

I would have offered them here if it was me.  Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

coonhound

Has anyone received them yet?  Thoughts?

Cone

He has more back up. I just ordered a set. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)

Ron Jones

So,
Does $60.00 drive the price of a tank up to the point that you can get a new reel with similar capability for less money?

I add it up with all Jvariance parts ( I think the cheapest), the reel, the sleeve, yoke, dogs and gears your in the $220.00 range easy.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

borchcl

Years back, when I was a working stiff, we made some things out of an aluminum - bronze material called, I believe, Amco 18. It was tougher than a boiled owl, and seemed corrosion resistant. It might make a suitable gear material. Just throwing a cat among the pigeons here.
Charlie

Bryan Young

I think the point is that it's not all about the money.  It's the passion. ;D

For many of us, this would be the next gradual upgrade, not a build a new.  Okay, that is what it would be for me...I cannot afford to build a beast from scratch.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Cone

+1 Bryan. I buy a used reel here and there. I fix or upgrade them for myself. Parts are too exspensive to buy seperate anyway. I have several sets of Penn ss gears for my reels. I just bought these to see for myself how they are. Bob

Ron Jones

I can't either, at the moment. And I understand passion. My girls are getting Penn 85s with SS sleeves, Carbontex drags and power handles for Christmas. The cheapest upgrade is at least twice the value of the reel, but man will they be nice and the girls will be able to use them and pass them onto their grandchildren. I am just pointing out that the price point might be a little high if the manufacturer intends to make the supply constant.

Also speaking of passion. I've been able to work on our project finally. Initial results are so so but I think I can make it better.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

dobrobill

+2,   I just plain like working on the penn reels and a few shimanos, "I can't help myself"

Alto Mare

Quote from: borchcl on November 28, 2012, 11:20:37 PM
Years back, when I was a working stiff, we made some things out of an aluminum - bronze material called, I believe, Amco 18. It was tougher than a boiled owl, and seemed corrosion resistant. It might make a suitable gear material. Just throwing a cat among the pigeons here.
Charlie
Love your lines Charlie, could listen to you all night. ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

broadway

x2 on that, Sal... was thinking the same thing!
Dom

George4741

I've been resisting, so far, but if he keeps offering these gears, I may break down and buy a set.  However, it's hard to justify the expense on a reel I may never use. 
viurem lliures o morirem

dobrobill

I also bought one set.  Heli main gear seems okay but pinion appears slightly less beefy than the orginal stainless one.