4:1 SS gear set available on Ebay

Started by john2244, November 21, 2012, 12:25:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

john2244

There are 9 sets of new SS 4:1 gear set available on Ebay for $60.00 with free shipping. It states they will fit Penn 4/0 and Progear reels.  I saw them listed under Progear but they may also be listed under Penn.  Not sure how to post a link, sorry.

John

Bryan Young

Hi John,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-1-HIGH-SPEED-STAINLESS-STEEL-GEAR-SET-PENN-113H-4-0-PRO-GEAR-ACCURATE-NEWELL-/150951731724?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item23256ca20c.

Not sure who's making them.  Interesting. Wonder if I should try a set. 

Claims:
304 grade stainless steel
High speed 4:1 gear ratio
Helical cut gear

Says better than Newells.  I know that Newells were hardened.  These seem not to be.  I don't know if it makes a difference though.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

I wouldn't doubt it if this seller has been ilistening to us, or maybe he is here with us :-\.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Cone

Bryan, 304 is an autenistic stainless steel and is not considered hardenable. See: http://www.mceproducts.com/knowledge-base/article/article-dtl.asp?id=18 Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Bryan Young

What I meant is that it may not make any difference in our application if the gears are not hardened.  SS will be much stronger than brass gears, but maybe a softer SS would be quiter than a hardened set.  but what do I know.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Due to the power of this site, they're all gone.
I did buy one myself, I wasn't crazy about paying $60 per set when two years ago I purchased 24 sets from Charkbait at $35 a set.
I need to check them out.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

Sal, wanna sell some of your $35 sets? ;)

Alto Mare

All gone Bryan, I probably have 5 sets in my reels....if that :-\.

Bryan Young

Alto Mare

I know you are, I just wanted to mention it so others don't think that I wouldn't give them out if I had them.

George4741

THEY'RE BACK!

It looks like the seller has more gears and again listed them on ebay.
viurem lliures o morirem

Keta

Quote from: Alto Mare on November 21, 2012, 02:30:52 AM
I know you are, I just wanted to mention it so others don't think that I wouldn't give them out if I had them.

Yup, thank you again.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

Quote from: George4741 on November 21, 2012, 06:02:16 PM
THEY'RE BACK!

It looks like the seller has more gears and again listed them on ebay.

Wow, and 2 hours later, only 1 left.  I hope the product works out.

I wish he/she would have offered it here for a cheaper price since he/she wouldn't have to deal with eBay fees, but everyone needs to make money, even eBay.

broadway

I bought a set to test out, also.  I hope they like competition because I'm undeterred, especially with the use of 304 ss.  It's not the right material for the job... too corrosive from what the gear manufacturers all tell me.  Although, it is nice to see someone motivated, I certainly hope it's not a member who let some of us do an awful lot of work to try to bring these gear sets to the table.  I don't believe any members here would do that so I suspect it was a lurker, but for sure he's visited this site by the descriptions he's given on Ebay (keywords-Carbontex and Cal's).  Let's give them a shot and see how they work out.  In the mean time I'm still working fellas ;)
Dom

Alto Mare

I was wondering the same thing Dom, I'm hoping he is a lurker, but  you never know :-\.