4:1 SS gear set available on Ebay

Started by john2244, November 21, 2012, 12:25:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Quote from: Bryan Young on December 05, 2012, 06:31:07 PM
Quote from: Keta on December 05, 2012, 06:16:03 PM
Quote from: coonhound on December 05, 2012, 06:05:48 PM
;D  My wife asked why I needed to buy the old reel if I was just going to upgrade all of the parts. 

Compare it to her fixing her self up and tell her you like the old one too much to get another.

That's a great one Lee
X2....be careful old man, Mary is going to let you wear that reel as a permanent hat ;D ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

broadway

Lee,
   Look out or you'll wind up in a stainless steel "dog" house ;D
Couldn't help myself,
Dom

Robert Janssen

Quote from: john2244 on December 05, 2012, 05:37:46 PM
...and what the numbers were all about.  He responded saying... the numbers are a batch number.

Odd. Seemed obvious to me that it says Penn 113, 4.0 ratio.

Otherwise, those look very nice. The increased helix angle changes the numbers somewhat (gear size becomes accordingly larger with an increase in helix angle) which lets them use 40 teeth to 10, probably with a larger module, instead of 48:12.

Seems like they've got a nice little business going there.

john2244

Yes, it is very obvious now.  I just did not put it together, old age I guess.  Thanks for pointing out the "obvious".
John

Alto Mare

Today I decided to install these new gears from ebay, so I can check them out and decided to take a few pictures along the way:
On the right are the new parts for the upgrade

here I'm showing the grinded area for the new dog. I took this idea from one of our member, Spirt 10 (thanks, Duane). If you want to take a closer look, it's on page 16, over by the "Penn 113H Reel/Tank"

here are the new gears from ebay going in

the tolerance is very tight with the pinion gear on the ss yoke.  The main gear is also very tight on the ss sleeve.
We'll see how that goes, I might have to break it down again :-\.
I want to mention that whoever came up with the O-ring idea, new what he was doing, it makes the job so much easier

here is a shot of the new dog installed

I replaced the slotted screws with ss screws, so you don't end up with this mess, as someone else did here....breaks my heart

I also placed one of these threads protector on the eccentric lever, no it does not interfere with the lever travel

so you won't end up with this

I also replaced the bearings, usind Aaron's latest bearing puller.
This tool is amazing, it is now fun to pull the bearings...thanks again Aaron.
One of the best design I've ever seen.

and here is the finished reel

The free spool is great on this reel, the new gears feel a little stiff,  but I'm sure they will get smoother and quieter with usage.
Enjoy!
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

Sal, you simply amaze me all the time!!!
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Cone

Another awesome build. You set the bar high, Sal. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

broadway

Hey sal, what's up with that oring? Did it come with the gears? ...still haven't for my set yet :-\
As usual, thanks for the thorough explanation on how to double dog and on those aluminum side plates none the less. You've got some big marbles to take a grinder to those side plates.
PS- this winter I'm gonna do some double digging myself;)
Thanks pal,
Dom

Alto Mare

Dom, it's time for you to take a chance, everyone else is doing it. By the way, did you notice the matching nail polish color? ;) snuck into my daughter room ;D.
I purchased that reel for $125, the spool had a lose ratchet.  I contacted the seller and he kept saying that I needed to adjust the left bearing, we were having some communication problems. I finally gave up and told him that everything was good ;D.  Still a good buy.

Bryan Young

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 07, 2012, 09:49:49 PM
I purchased that reel for $125, the spool had a lose ratchet.  I contacted the seller and he kept saying that I needed to adjust the left bearing, we were having some communication problems. I finally gave up and told him that everything was good ;D.  Still a good buy.
Sal, your bargain hunting leaves the lady shopper way behind. ;D  I want to do this to my Pro Gear 545 for alternating dogs, but haven't gotten up the courage to do it yet.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Cone

Sal, I noticed the gold color on the part of the sideplate you ground on. I was going to ask how you did it. My thought was also fingernail polish. You must be proud of your daughter buying polish to match your reels.  ;D It won't hold up like the anodising but it shure looks fasionable.  Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

wallacewt

alto mare
you always make me miserable sal,why cant i do that ;D

john2244

Irish Jigger