spool bushings vs. spool bearings

Started by beachbob, November 23, 2012, 02:06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beachbob

are there any significant advantages for bushings over bearings?  i can't think of any, can you?
revolving spool reels and long rods ~ longbows and feathered shafts ~ guitars that sing and growl

Irish Jigger

I can. In my experience bushings don't rust and seize, ball/roller/thrust/AR  bearings all do.  Ball bearings are a nice sales ploy but expensive to replace and have a very short life.(Salt water environment.)

beachbob

Quote from: Irish Jigger on November 23, 2012, 02:24:59 PM
  I can. In my experience bushings don't rust and seize, ball/roller/thrust/AR  bearings all do.  Ball bearings are a nice sales ploy but expensive to replace and have a very short life.(Salt water environment.)

how do bearings rust and seize?
revolving spool reels and long rods ~ longbows and feathered shafts ~ guitars that sing and growl

Keta

Grit and saltwater in the roller and ball bearings destroys them.   
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ken_D

Quote from: beachbob on November 23, 2012, 02:45:02 PM
Quote from: Irish Jigger on November 23, 2012, 02:24:59 PM
 I can. In my experience bushings don't rust and seize, ball/roller/thrust/AR  bearings all do.  Ball bearings are a nice sales ploy but expensive to replace and have a very short life.(Salt water environment.)

how do bearings rust and seize?

Hio, BB....unless a bearing is full ceramic, including the spacer to hold the balls evenly, in a salt environment, bearings will corrode. Stainless steel will eventually corrode. But what the makers are doing: many of them use blued ferrous metal as the cage to hold the balls evenly, which corrodes ~real~ fast in reels where the operator neglects to oil or grease them, as per Keta's above.  

dobrobill

The more expensive more bearings. I guess the ploy is to get our money when we toss out things.
Use - clean  - oil - use - clean - oil.   etc.
Good fishermans cycle....

beachbob

Quote from: Keta on November 23, 2012, 04:18:55 PM
Grit and saltwater in the roller and ball bearings destroys them.   

how does grit and saltwater get into the bearings?

Keta

Spray and/or immersion for salt water, grit just gets into odd places.  Grit gets into bushings too but it does not damage races and balls.   There is a place for roller/ball bearings but for many of our needs bushings are as good or better.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

beachbob

interesting - so far most everyone seems to think that bushed spool shafts are better than those nasty spool shaft bearings.

Keta

They both have their place. Flylining live bait or distance casting benifit from bearings, trolling and bottom fishing not so much.

Mark Twain

beachbob

Quote from: Keta on November 23, 2012, 06:54:46 PM
They both have their place. Flylining live bait or distance casting benifit from bearings, trolling and bottom fishing not so much.

bingo.  there is no way i'd want a bushed spool for a revolving spool surf casting reel.  i don't skish and i'm reasonably careful with all my reels and whatever was used for a fishing session gets externally cleaned, then spools and bearings pulled and cleaned and relubed.  the smooth, dependable feeling and speed of  bearings is *essential* to a surf casting reel. 

Keta

Unless it gets immersed in the surf often (saltwater and sand), then a bushed reel can out perform a reel with bearings.

Mark Twain

beachbob

Quote from: Keta on November 23, 2012, 07:57:09 PM
Unless it gets immersed in the surf often (saltwater and sand), then a bushed reel can out perform a reel with bearings.

are you saying that a clean/lubed bushed revolving spool reel is capable of longer casts than a clean/lubed bearing spooled casting reel?

Keta

Not necessarily, a marginally clean bushing can work better than a marginally clean roller bearing.  If you service your reels often roller/ball bearings theoretically cast better.

Mark Twain

beachbob

in the 50's i started off beach and boat fishing using bushed spool reels ... never again, at least not for me.  i keep pretty meticulous care of my reels, and i'm sure if i didn't i'd be singing a diff'rent song.  :D