For Sale $64.99 ea: 416 Stainless Steel Heat Treated 4:1 Gear Set for PENN 113H

Started by Black Pearl, January 22, 2013, 01:46:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RowdyW

broadway

Put me down for 3 more sets of the 113h... and yes I feel lucky ;)
put me down for 4 sets of the 112h
put me down for 4 sets of the 114h
Thanks for a nice product,
Dom

Alto Mare

Quote from: RowdyW on April 03, 2013, 01:18:35 AM
Sal, what # test did it take to bend the stand?
Rudy, I used a 130# class rod  and 130# line.
Rod was set in my contraption that I made by the three house, I believe I showed a picture of it earlier.
The rolling weight was set at 75to 80lb, I wasn't able to turn the handle with one hand when the star was tight all the way, had to use both.
The scale on the line marked 22lb. This test was done by turning the handle, not lifting the rod.
Last week I did the same test with  the gears that I customized with the 6 cutouts, I was able to use one hand and the scale marked 28lb.Also, the reel was fine. :-\ .
Gears where both fine.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

RowdyW

Sal, it seems that the Penn frames & stands might be the weakest link in the chain. Thats why long ago I always liked to beef up my Senators with solid frames from Tib. & Acc. The Long Beach reels and a few others are always twisting the frames & stands. Penn reels are strong but I have always felt that the frames are the weakest part of the entire reels. I bought a L B 65 a few months ago that was spooled with 80# mono :o & you should see what the stand looks like. The insides were fine. I think that when beefing up these reels we should start on the outside & work our way in. ;)    Rudy

Ron Jones

I agree, the stamped stand especially is just not super strong. I've bent them back to shape with my hand on the corner of a desk. I haven't heard of a Newell base and bars twisting, but certainly the Tib frame is the strongest solution. The only issue is that you get really deep into the money real quick. I love old Penn reels, but sometimes you have to ask yourself where the line is.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Alto Mare

Rudy, 80# on a LB is crazy. I'm not surprised by the stand, I've seen my share. Most reels that I fish with have the full frames. I've seen many on the 113HLW, but haven't seen them on the smaller reels. The reel that I used is not pretty, you didn't think I was going to use one of my babies? ;D but held up just fine. What surprised me was that I could pull that same weight with less effort, by using the gears with the six ears.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Black Pearl

Quote from: broadway on April 03, 2013, 01:53:48 AM
Put me down for 3 more sets of the 113h... and yes I feel lucky ;)
put me down for 4 sets of the 112h
put me down for 4 sets of the 114h
Thanks for a nice product,
Dom
Dom,

You are feeling lucky........

Mandelstam

"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

Norcal Pescador

Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

lasparky11

I need a set for my ProGear 545 the 113H gear fits so a 4:1 ratio would be fine.

Sky King Joe

Quote from: Sky King Joe on January 27, 2013, 01:13:07 PM
Good Day Gentlemen,
I would like to preorder:
3 sets of the 4:1 stainless steel gears for the Penn 113H
Sky King Joe
Pompano Beach Florida
Please advise when available
Thank you,
Joe
Hello Gentlemen,
Just checking to see if you have the above on the per order list.
If not please add 3 sets for me.
Thanks to Alan, Alto Mare, and the other fine gentlemen who contributed can't wait to see these "old school" reels perform to their potential and beyond with the double AR dogs, stainless steel gear sleeves, and Accurate Frames.
Thank you
Sky King Joe

Black Pearl

Quote from: Sky King Joe on January 27, 2013, 01:13:07 PM
Good Day Gentlemen,
I would like to preorder:
3 sets of the 4:1 stainless steel gears for the Penn 113H
Sky King Joe
Pompano Beach Florida
Please advise when available
Thank you,
Joe
Hello Gentlemen,
Just checking to see if you have the above on the per order list.
If not please add 3 sets for me.
Thanks to Alan, Alto Mare, and the other fine gentlemen who contributed can't wait to see these "old school" reels perform to their potential and beyond with the double AR dogs, stainless steel gear sleeves, and Accurate Frames.
Thank you
Sky King Joe

Hi there,

I have your order on the list. This 113H gear set should be ready to ship out by middle of next month.

Thanks,
--Alan