For Sale $64.99 ea: 416 Stainless Steel Heat Treated 4:1 Gear Set for PENN 113H

Started by Black Pearl, January 22, 2013, 01:46:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

basto

Wow, it really makes me happy to see you PENN guys buying gears that are made in Taiwan. So, not all of those hot rods and tanks are pure USA made.
You know they make some fine reels in Taiwan too.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

ShoreKasterHI

I'm kind of late to the party but could you put me down for a set.

Thanks

Black Pearl

Quote from: ShoreKasterHI on March 27, 2013, 03:28:44 AM
I'm kind of late to the party but could you put me down for a set.

Thanks

Actually, you are not late at all. The main production gears set will be here around June.

broadway

I picked up the package from my brother and saw a beautiful gear set in there.  Nicely done, and I look forward to installing and testing them out asap!
Now I Just need the boat to get fixed up so I can try it out on some "ladies in the striped pajamas" (female, cow bass);)
Looking good Alan!
Let me know when batch two (and the 112h and 114h) is ready,
Thanks for your contribution,
Dom

Black Pearl

Quote from: broadway on March 27, 2013, 04:17:47 AM
I picked up the package from my brother and saw a beautiful gear set in there.  Nicely done, and I look forward to installing and testing them out asap!
Now I Just need the boat to get fixed up so I can try it out on some "ladies in the striped pajamas" (female, cow bass);)
Looking good Alan!
Dom

Hi Dom,

You need to put your name on that 114H gear set list.

Thanks,
--Alan

Cone

I installed the gears tonight. I didn't take any pics. Sal's pics were better than mine would have been.  ;) The gears are very smooth and quiet for a SS gear set. It shifts into and out of freespool effortlessly even before the sideplate was installed on the reel. Alan, whoever made them did an outstanding job. I can't wait to put them to the test. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Black Pearl

Hi guys,

Thank you for all yours feed back so far. Therefore, the main production of the 113H gear set will start next week.

By the way, I can't brand these gear sets (500/112H, 113H and 114H) as Black Pearl because "Black Pearl" has been trade marked. However, since I own (trade marked) PRO Challenger, these gears will be sold under "PRO Challenger". 

R46chevy

Newbie question. On a 113 4/0 Wide what would be the Inches per turn with a 4-1? I cant even find out  what it would be with a 3.25-1?  I would like to get a set or two for my 4/0's. Thanks

Cone

Welcome R46Chevy.  It depends on how far you fill your reel and how much line is out when you reel.  :D Throw a tape measure around the line on the spool and multiply by 4 or 3.25.  ;) Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

john2244

R46Chev,

There is a mathematical equation to determine the inches of retrieve per turn of a handle. PI (3.14) times the dimaeter of the spool times the gear ratio of the reel.  An example would be: Spool diameter (2.5") x gear ratio (3.25) x PI (3.14) = 25.5 inches per turn of the handle.  This is assuming you have a full spool of line.

John

PS.  Bob and were replying at the same time.  As Bob stated it depends on how much line you have on your spool at a given time.  You are going to retrieve less line per turn of the handle with a half empty spool vs a near full spool of line.

R46chevy

Thanks, I know about the half vs full part but did not know about the formula. Thank you

Alto Mare

Gear ratio, yes. Line retrieve per crank, worthless.
It is never accurate, just a tool to sell you reels. :-\.
Here is an easy trick to determine the amount of line on lets say a spool of 3" diameter with a 3:1 ratio.
Place the spool on one end of your work bench and put a dot on the edge of the spool and bench.
Roll the spool three times on the bench and stop where the dot is facing the bench. Now add another dot, remove the spool and measure the distance between the two dots.
Still worthless thought, but it helps us compare reels ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Black Pearl

Quote from: broadway on March 27, 2013, 04:17:47 AM
Looking good Alan!
Dom

Hey Dom,

I am glad that these gears come out pretty nice and meet your standard. What are you going to with the 304 gears?

broadway

Alan,
    What I'm gonna do with the 304 gears is drop them in saltwater and see how many minutes they take to deteriorate.
I should have known better than to buy that crap!
Do you need them for a how-not-to tutorial?
Dom

Black Pearl

Quote from: broadway on March 27, 2013, 05:56:30 PM
Alan,
    What I'm gonna do with the 304 gears is drop them in saltwater and see how many minutes they take to deteriorate.
I should have known better than to buy that crap!
Do you need them for a how-not-to tutorial?
Dom

You still can use the Main gear part, or you can send it to Sal for some testing..

By the way, did you get my PM?

Thanks,
--Alan