Reel for 100 lb catfish

Started by gone fishin, January 26, 2013, 10:22:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ossipeter

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

gone fishin

from ossipeter 
QuoteWhy not the Avet Raptor?

The SX Raptor is actually #1 on my list right now  ;D   It fulfills all of my criteria + it has the magnetic antibacklash system that really works.  When I become more experienced, I may not need the cast control on my next reel, but I think it would be good now.  I can't tell you how frustrated I've been trying to untangle a birds nest in the dark or pouring rain around here.
Did you know there was a 10% price decrease on the raptors in the last week?   I'm looking into less expensive alternatives right now to be sure I won't have buyers remorse after I pull the trigger and buy.
Thanks,
Norm

jonathan.han

The Raptors are cool. East way for Avet to bump up drag output on their reels...but the cost would have me consider other reels. Good luck on the critical decisions you have ahead.
raw instinct

Westii

If you are looking at the sx raptor, you might want to take a look at the Okuma Makaira 8. 

alantani

an andros would get the job done, but at a $400 price tag. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

saltydog

The high speed reels are fine when you are fishing for speedsters or jigging tuna but for catfish you would be better served with a gear ratio of 2:1 to 3:1 vs 5:1 because cats are like bulldogs not greyhounds and on the larger fish you will be pumpin the heck out of the rod to get line,the lower gear ratio helps midigate alot of needless work and alows you to reel when you are in a tug a war or while he decides to spin in place or dive for cover.Plus even on big cats the fight is over with most of the time in under five minutes so power is more needed than speed.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Cone

Either a lever drag or star drag reel will need to have the drags set with a scale. In a lake fishing for catfish either should work. Just set your drags before going put on the clicker in free spool when he takes it flip the lever on a star drag to engage the spool and fight him. JMO Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

gone fishin

Thanks, Bob.  As I indicated earlier, I didn't really know how to operate a star drag reel properly.  This helps me a lot and you can be sure that no matter what reel I buy, I will get a scale for measuring the drag.

gone fishin

by Saltydog 
Quotefor catfish you would be better served with a gear ratio of 2:1 to 3:1 vs 5:1 because cats are like bulldogs not greyhounds and on the larger fish you will be pumpin the heck out of the rod to get line,the lower gear ratio helps midigate alot of needless work

Now that is the kind of info I was looking for when I started this string.  This not only tells me the gear ratio, but since there are also other faster fish species in one of the lakes, I probably need a two speed.

For those of you suggesting the Okumas, (Makaira, 2 spd and Cedros, single spd), I agree that they are the best for the price and if after I have a lot of experience, I decide to buy a setup for bigger fish, I'll get the Makaira.  As I said earlier,  the Avet
Quotehas the magnetic antibacklash system that really works.  When I become more experienced, I may not need the cast control on my next reel, but I think it would be good now.
Norm

jonathan.han

The choices are all functional. I am pleased to see you're not using River Monster gear.  Just make sure you have used the reel on a few trips where you are not on a first date with it. In my opinion, anything more than 150.00 is just an excuse to get something cool. Nothing wrong with that. It's my motto. It will be your skillset more than your reel model that will help you land fish. Oh and making sure it is in good working order for your target fish. Get it dialed in yourself or someone who can. Reels straight from the box work best in the store. Most reel companies make money by selling you reels for your desired price range. It takes a bit more to put them through their paces.
raw instinct

wallacewt

hi bob,you said you wanted a reel you could cast.me, i would forget the makaira and go with the andros 2 sp. it will handle any catfish with ease 120lb or more.$400 im not sure that is expensive or not.when i bought mine for $400 it was expensive,but after 2 years continious use,still going strong,and the fish i have caught on it would pull a catfish backwards, im not so sure it was expensive. makes you think dont it. ::)

Newell Nut

A Newell 533 4.6 will do everything that you need to do. Double dogs, 35 lb drag and light weight and extremely corrosion resistant. There are some nice ones on ebay for less than 200. I have a couple of new ones in the closet and and I know a guy in CA with some new ones if interested.

wallacewt

gone fishin

Quoteanything more than 150.00 is just an excuse to get something cool. Nothing wrong with that. It's my motto. It will be your skillset more than your reel model that will help you land fish.
Jonathan that's very true.  It reminds me of my first Montana hunting trip.  Two of us had fancy rifles and fancy scopes and the third guy had an old .303 British Enfield with a scope made for a .22 rifle.  You can guess which one of us shot 2 big bucks.  Yes, I've considered the Penn Squall 25N at $150.  I think it is a good little reel and would basically be suitable, but a little more difficult to use than some of the others and I want my fishing to be as trouble free and relaxing as possible.