Reel for 100 lb catfish

Started by gone fishin, January 26, 2013, 10:22:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

here you go!  my biggest fish on one of these reels was a 130 pound halibut.  seriously, this is a steal!

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=6299.0
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

gone fishin

Thanks for thinking of me.  It is a beautiful reel and the price is right!  I'm concerned about buying a brand that is out of business.  In some ways I figure it would be like buying a 'pig in the poke' (whatever that means :D).  The reason I say that is because I was unable to get as much reliable information about the reel as I wanted, but I did see that in one instance, the main and pinion gears were damaged when the drag was cranked down to 15 lbs.  I had read max drag was 25 lbs and other places said 15 lbs.  It is obviously less than 15.   

Anyway, I have made up my mind.  I have given serious consideration to each and every suggestion made on this thread, including star drags.  I've spent hours and hours of research and it all came down to the Avet MXJ Raptor.  I'm buying a blue one with 300 yds of 50 lb hollow core braid and a topcoat of 100yds of 40 lb mono included from Charkbait.  Along with the reel, I'm getting a drag scale, Cals Drag Grease and TSI 301.  Thanks, everyone, for helping me with this.  I feel completely comfortable with my choice.

George4741

I think you've made a wise choice.  As they say in Thai.... มีโชคดี ;)
viurem lliures o morirem

gone fishin

Thanks, George.  My translation was 'chancy'  ???

George4741

I can't read Thai, although I was there from 72-75.  It is supposed to say "good luck".
viurem lliures o morirem

gone fishin

Heh heh!  I can't read Thai either ;D, but that's the way Google translated it.  I'll take it as 'good luck'!  Actually you could say a game of cards were a game of chance or a game of luck.  Therefore good luck = good chance = chancy  ;)

ossipeter

Wish you always tight lines and good drills with your new baby ;)

gone fishin

Thanks, Peter!  I think I will enjoy practicing with it.  I'll have to admit that giving it the AlanTani preuse maintenance is a little scary.  I can imagine some little part flying off into oblivian  :'(

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

good choice! don't  know how often you'll be in the US of A but  ithink it's a good idea to bring with you extra pinion bearings. have the MXJ and happy with it. bought the SX last Nov 22 and  it hasn't arrived yet  as  of today and thinking of buying the SXJ when i'm in LA next month. good fishing and tight lines!

gone fishin

I see that you live in Brazil, Mel.  I hope you were able to insure delivery of that SX reel.  After reading your entry, I called the shipping guy at Charkbait and he said they had reliable 5 day delivery to Thailand, but it was at least $50.  I figure I'd probably have to pay a 20% duty too.  Very expensive, but better than nothing.  I also called Avet and they are setting up a dealership in Bangkok or they will ship bearings for about $30.  Either alternative sounds expensive, so I guess I'll see how many bearings I destroy giving them the AlanTani preventive maintenance before ordering any extra pinion bearings. 

That little SKJ loooks like a perfect reel for relatively light line.  Wish I could trade in my  Abu Garcia STX for one of those  ;D

tpilk

Hi Norm,

I'm back in Singapore for the week and just picked up an SX today. It took 300yds of 30lb tufline, with a bunch of 40 lb mono on top (didn't have a line counter available). I can't believe how much line that little reel holds. I can't wait to get back home and cast it.

S'pore does have an Avet dealer. I'm curious as to who in Bangkok will carry them. I'm guessing it will be the shop near the most expensive fishing park.

I bought the SX MC and paid $280 SGD or about $225 USD. That's the price you pay over here...I think Charkbait has the SX MC for $199

Rods are an issue here. I broke one on a fish Saturday. The gear was balanced - drag set on the scale, etc. - half hour into the fight and it blew. Fish was close in (so I had a full spool) and the drag was super smooth. Anyway, you might go take a look at a nice Calstar Grafighter for your MX (like maybe a 700 ML or even an M). I'd also consider those Ahi Assassins (I'm thinking the 100 size for my new SX).

Gotta have a wish list, right?

We did catch a few big ones (nothing over 50 kilo) this past weekend, but mostly the 15-20 kilo blah sawai (striped catfish).

I'd like to hear more about Avet in Thailand....

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: gone fishin on February 17, 2013, 07:21:16 AM
I figure I'd probably have to pay a 20% duty too.  Very expensive, but better than nothing.

i pay 60% and most of the time authorities here add the shipping to the value of the merchandise...ouch!!!

by the way i suggest that you should also have 65# line and 50# mono or fluoro for a top shot. you'll never know when you'll need it.  :)

tpilk

Are you recommending the 65lb and 50lb topshot for the MX?

With 65lb braid you wont get much, if any topshot. You can put 300yds of 50lb braid and still get a 100yds + of 40lb mono (for long casting application). If you just need a leader or very short topshot, the 65lb will work.

Actually, for Norm's catfish application, you don't need huge capacity, so yes, heavier line will work, but yoiu just don't need it. I've taken plenty of those fish on 30lb (minimum I go cause yoiu need 9-10lbs of drag to keep the fight reasonable time).

The challenge comes when they get close...just run a heavy mono leader so you have something to grab onto when you get it near the bank.   

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: tpilk on February 19, 2013, 01:39:33 AM
Are you recommending the 65lb and 50lb topshot for the MX?

yes, because he might need it. personally i haven't caught a catfish that weighs more than 25 kilos but the pirarara or redtail catfish puts up a good fight i guess when you have all day to bring the fish in 30 lbs braid and a short top shot of 40 lb will do. btw, my top shot is always lighter than my principal line in case when something breaks hopefully it's the top shot.

also with 65lb(or at least 50lb) main line you can have at least up to 60lb mono or fluoro TS or leader.

check this thread, this is from a guy who spends some of his holidays fishing fro giant mekong catfish. based my recommendatiosn from his experiences. also from some some of the videos i watched on youtube.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=3632.0

"expect the unexpected"

Bryan Young

Good choice.  You'll like that reel. Just take your time and get little containers for those small parts. Take pics along the way to help you reverse the procedure, and write here if you run into any problems.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D