Reel for 100 lb catfish

Started by gone fishin, January 26, 2013, 10:22:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tpilk

Quote from: abudoc on April 02, 2013, 01:27:42 PM
I wish I had seen this thread sooner. Cat fishing is a lot different than saltwater, without a doubt the reel I would recommend is the Alphamar 16 or the Penn equivalent. With 65lb. Braid and a 50lb. mono leader. No top shot needed just a mono leader 12" to 18" for abrasion resistance.

Yes, this thread is a rare break from the typical salt-water threads.

These catfish are how we get our fix when we can't be out on the ocean (it's not easy or cheap for a foreigner to own a boat in Thailand). But, they are a good test for your gear, knots/crimps and anything else you want to try. They aren't blazing fast, but they have incredible power. You don't need any topshot, but a heavy mono leader is nice not so much for abrasion...it's just a lot easier on your hands when bringing the fish in. It's how I got proficient with my PR Knots...The discussion on topshots earlier in the thread were based on how my MX and TLD reels were setup for saltwater.

As to the Alphamar, for about the same money, I went with the Penn Fathoms as I mentioned before. Honestly, I hadn't even heard of an Alphamar, but then my exposure is pretty limited over here. That, and I bailed on the Abu products some years back. Guess they're ALL made in China now (Penn's as well).... Anyway, my Abu's (got 6) range from 3500C's thru 7000C's but all are 25+ years old and all have carbon fiber drags installed. As to level-winds...I do have a Fathom 15 level-wind as well and it works well - holds right at 300 yds of 50lb XP. I just think it's more fun fishing smaller reels and I haven't broken any off with the #30 at 9lbs of drag. When it comes to braid, #80 will pop just as quickly as #30 if it hits concrete or debris under heavy tension.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

"clunk" in your SX same thing with my MXJ. i think the dog misses when the fish swims back, hope this helps...thanks for sharing.