Reel for 100 lb catfish

Started by gone fishin, January 26, 2013, 10:22:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gone fishin

gone fishin

Very interesting discussion, tpilk and Mel.

Mel, I read fishingjack's thread.  I'm about twice his age so won't be as agressive as he is and will probably use no more than 10 to 12 lbs drag in most cases depending on how much structure is in the area.  That being said, the weakest point of any line is at the knot and a few 100 yd spools of higher test mono won't break the bank and will be good insurance.

tpilk, I have another contact at Avet and I will call him before I leave for more info about the Bangkok dealership.  The person I talked to sounded kind of ify and knowing Thailand, it will always be ify. 

I have two tips for my 7 ft Okuma Nomad Rod.  The base of the rod is very strong and if I break the 60 lb tip, I think I'll just quit fishing  ;D 

tpilk

Hi Mel,

I also have an MX Raptor, but mine will have to function in multiple applications over here. Once again, mine is setup with 300 yds of 50lb tufline XP, with a topshot of 40lb mono. I put a long topshot on because I do a lot of long casting and the mono is much easier to cast. I have yet to get into the braid, though I've come close. I set the drag around 11-12lbs, but that is mostly because I dont have the right rod to balance the reel - mine is a bit light. I'll fix that next trip to the states.

When you consider drag settings, yes, the MX Raptor can be cranked up quite high - well beyond (25-30%) of 30lb capability. That said, we're confusing two different reels in my recommendations to Norm. I said I will put 30lb braid and a 30lb topshot on my new SX MC (non Raptor) - it is capable of 9lb of drag at strike regardless of 30lb or 130lb test.  I can tell you from much experience that 9lb of drag will whip a mekong in a reasonable amount of time (under 30 minutes) with some proper technique.

I do run a short, heavy mono leader so I have something to grab onto when popping the hook out. I've used this experience to develop and test my crimping skills.   

Redtails are good fighters and the pacu are fun as well - are you by any chance fishing in Phuket or Hua Hin? My personal favorite are the Siamese Carp - they look and act much more like stripers than carp with their bucket mouths, speed and power. I've not caught a big one...nothing over 15 kilos or so. As you know they get really big here as well.

Anyway, just wanted to clear up the line issue - most likely I miscommunicated...it sucks being over 50!

tpilk

Just read through fishingjack's thread. Earlier in this thread I discussed Thai waters being somewhat challenging due to concrete, pilings, trash, etc often being present.

Of course structure and abrasive conditions can and do alter line selection on any species, in any location in the world. I am fortunate, as my current "favorite" location is clear of any junk and that is reflected in the gear I can run.

I've been meaning to throw in I would welcome any visitors to Bangkok area to contact me - I will take you out myself or at least point you in the right direction so you don't get sucked in to the "fishing" tourist traps so common here. For whatever reason - I'm thinking the River Monster's show, there has been a big demand for giant stingray fishing. I personally have no interest...but they are here. Don't get me wrong, I had tons of fun as a youngster battling Bat rays from Moss Landing to Tomales Bay. They were awesome fighters. These Thai freshwater rays are big and heavy and tend to create suction on the bottom and clamp down. Doesn't look like much fun to me.

We've also got billfish, wahoo, GT's, tuna and bottom fishing as well, depending on where you go. Don't look for any great deals though...the locals have got this market nailed. You pretty much need access to a private boat to keep it reasonable.

gone fishin

Hey, tpilk, when you come back to the States and buy a new rod, be sure to check with your airline to see what they consider oversize baggage; also their charges for same.  You might want to consider a travel rod; Charkbait has a nice selection of them.

Norm

tpilk

Hi Norm,

No worries on that one - my job has me flying so much I get three bags free now and at least last time, no oversize fees. Regardless, when you live outside sometimes you just have to bite the bullet. I plan on dropping in on the Charkbait shop next visit. Home base for me is now Idaho, but I have business in California, both North and South so it looks like a long road trip is in order.

I am leaning towards a Grafighter 700 model to pair up with the MX Raptor. I really need to pull on a few to get a feel for the best match (otherwise I'd buy it online). I can get Calstar blanks over here, but really pricey and besides, all of my rod building stuff is in a storage container back home. Hate to keep buying stuff over and over. It's certainly one of the great challenges in living overseas...what to bring vs what you can live without.

I just picked up another nice reel in Singapore this trip - I grabbed a Fathom 15 Level wind. Should be an ideal reel for the mekongs. It holds 300yds of 50lb XP. I'm trying the heavy core this time as it's supposed to sink much better.

gone fishin

QuoteIt's certainly one of the great challenges in living overseas...what to bring vs what you can live without.

That's certainly the most difficult part for me.  I'm getting rid of everything, I can't take with me.   Furniture is easy but guns, tools, artwork and books are difficult.  I have hundreds and hundreds of books which I can get down to about 75 fairly easily but beyond that, it is difficult.

Anyway, that 7 ft Grafighter sure looks good on 'paper',  I'll bet it would be just the ticket.  Those Penn Fathoms are great little reels aren't they.  I almost bought the 25N Fathom before I realized there were so many choices.  I just got my MXJ Raptor today and it looks and feels great.  The only thing I dont like about it is the 20 oz weight on my Lamiglas rod; one of the 15 oz reels would feel better.  However, it feels about right on the much heavier Okuma Nomad rod.  So far, I'm very happy with my choice and think after some experience with the big fish, any reel that was recommended to me on this thread would work well.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

hi tpilk! i am actually in brasil but will be in the city of angels next month, lucky me in time for the FHS at long beach. i myself will be buying a few rods and will be willing to pay for excess luggage fee because it's worth it. here in brasil i paid like $1000 for 3 rods compared to less than $500 in the USofA.

anyways hope to travel to thailand one day...tight lines! 

tpilk

Hi Mel,

I'd better quit whining about fees in Asia - I had no idea things were so high in SA. Please tell me at least the fishing is as good as it looks on TV? I'm hoping to get back home in the next month or so - had to schedule twice now due to work schedule conflicts.

Hi Norm,

I understand the weight issue. It's funny - a guy who works in the fishing shop where I bought mine asked why anyone would want a reel machined out of solid stock when grafite and other high tech materials are so much lighter. I guess it's kind of one of those "if you have to ask, you wouldn't understand" situations. The local gear is really light there (Singapore has some giant snakehead fishing (bass gear) and there is some offshore stuff, but mostly need to travel.) Anyway, all three of my new reels pulled fish in their first times out and performed really well. I'm actually getting more casting distance out of the Fathom - it would give my 7000C a run for it's money on the right rod. I never expected that...

gone fishin

Glad all your new reels are working out.  I am very surprised that you are getting better casting distance from your levelwind Fathom.  I would have guessed the levelwind would decrease the distance by at least 25%.

tpilk

Hi Norm,
I used to think that as well, then years ago (early 80's) I strapped a 7000C on my 12' Sabre surf rod for chasing stripers. One reel, on several occasions that I can remember could beat my casts and it was a guy with an old Alvey and the guy was darn good...competitive good. He had his hands full when he hooked a fish though. I've never tried an Alvey, but I imagine they're lots of fun. He used to "palm the spool" like you do when you're fly fishing. I learned to cast on my dad's old jigmaster. It was really long as well, at least when the stars aligned and then it would slam you back to Earth with a nice backlash about the time I'd start to get cocky with it. I always seemed to go back to a big spinning reel on serious fishing days until the 7000C came along. 

The MC function on the SX makes it pretty much hands free. The MX also has the MC function, but could get away from me a bit when I really let it out it on a longer rod. I've had the MX out 4 times now and I'm definitely feeling more confident. The SX and the Fathom have each been out twice. I've got a long top shot on the MX and that's helped keep it to minor backlashes that came out easy. The SX and the Fathom have only Tufline XP. One neat feature on the Fathom is it has a very light clicker on the spool tensioner and you can make really fine adjustments depending on what you are tossing. You dial that in and let it sail. It's got a really smooth drag as well...I haven't opened the reel up, but all of my other Penn's with HT-100 drags come greased. Anyway, the new toys have all caught fish now, Unfortunately, the big one's have eluded me last two trips. My wife has been kicking my butt on the big fish. Nice thing is the small fish are still 20-30lb striped catfish. I'm dying to wrestle a Mekong on the new gear...guess I just need to be patient.

gone fishin

Per tpilk 
QuoteNice thing is the small fish are still 20-30lb striped catfish.

Now that's what I'm talkin' about.  A place where the 'small' fish are 30 lbs.  I'm really  wanting to get over there asap.  My first desire is to be with my 'new family' there and secondly I want to hook into some of those 'small' fish.  I can hardly wait for the fight those fish can bring on.  I have had more fight with a 3 lb pike on light tackle than a 15 lb salmon on moderately heavy tackle.

It's nice that your wife enjoys fishing, too.  I suppose it's especially fun for her when she is 'kickin' your butt'  :D

So just to be clear, you are saying that your levelwind Fathom casts farther than your SX MC?  Do you think the magnetic cast impeads the SX?  Out of the box, my reel only has 4 or 5 seconds of freespool with the MC at its lowest setting.  I'm sure it will spin much longer after the alantani treatment.

tpilk

Hi Norm,

I probably didn't state that very well. I wouldn't say that the Fathom will outcast either Avet, in fact, I'm certain it won't. We're trying to throw bait a long distance with enough finesse to keep it together and on the hook. The jigging rods we're using don't load well with bait...the perform super well when battling big fish. The Fathom, having that sensitive spool tensioner with the clicker, is just very easy to dial in, making it very forgiving without giving up a lot of distance. I can launch the bait a long distance with total confidence.

To sum it up:
1) The Fathom is long and quite easy, in fact, it's almost idiot-proof if you properly set spool tension
2) The SX screams. The cast control allows it to be cast virtually thumb-free, in fact, you can back down on the cast control a few clicks and no issues.
3) The MX is a bit more of a challenge. Bait can be tricky (depending on the rod), but throw a jig or some lead on there and that reel really sails. Depending on application, you just have to stay on top of it. Basically, it keeps you on your toes. It's all about who is driving it.

IMO, the rods make all the difference in the world as to "castability" of a reel. The proper pairing for a given application is the key. I'm thinking that 7' Grafighter is going to be a great pairing for the MX, given what I want to do with it. I've got an old 7' glass Pacific Stik and the MX is much easier to handle given the way that rod loads in this application.

Hope that clarifies my comments. We really need to meet up - are you still in the States? What is your schedule looking like? Shoot me a PM

Chip

tpilk

I wanted to follow up on the reel discussion and add a few photos - hopefully they will come up....

I finally got back to the states and did some shopping. I picked up a few great rods, as well as a few reels for the collection. One reel has quickly become my favorite for these catfish - it's the Penn fathom FTH12, loaded with 300 yds of 30lb Tufline HeviCore. I've caught half a dozen big ones and many of the smaller Striped catfish and it's just a pleasure to fish with. The drag is really smooth, clicker is strong (audible in the wind), 300 yds is plenty of capacity and of course it has much more drag than I'd ever need with 50lb, much less the 30lb I'm using.

I have also caught quite a few (Mekongs and Striped) on the Avet SX as well. I do like this reel, but I now understand some of the more critical comments on the Avets. If I have one issue with the reel, it's the large amount of play in the gearbox (I think it's the gearbox?). When I'm reeling against a fish and the fish turns hard, there is a significant "clunk" felt through the handle. Feels like a bad u-joint in your vehicle if that makes sense. I need to fish with my MX to determine if it's just my SX or an Avet issue overall. Once again, I do enjoy the reel - all important qualities are there....just need to figure out that "clunk" in the drive.

I picked up two Ahi Assasins...a 100 size and a 200 size. I will give my two cents on those in the rod thread at some point, as they have some real pro's and a con or two I'd like to share. To briefly mention one issue, the 100 size rod, with the trigger-type reel seat will not fit the Penn reels. It won't tighten up and with the unique trigger setup, it won't take a clamp either. Even with the Avet reels, you can't use the clamp. The 200 is a different story...but that 100 Assasin would pair nicely with the FTH12.

I'll give those pics a shot...  first three are mekongs and the two smaller fish are the striped catfish. These are pretty average...can't seem to catch a monster when you actually remember the camera!

abudoc

I wish I had seen this thread sooner. Cat fishing is a lot different than saltwater, without a doubt the reel I would recommend is the Alphamar 16 or the Penn equivalent. With 65lb. Braid and a 50lb. mono leader. No top shot needed just a mono leader 12" to 18" for abrasion resistance.